2019 Snooker Shoot-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    Only good to watch with the sound off , and that's a struggle even then !
    I tried that last year, but that was just as bad.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
      Ok I know it's not proper snooker, but the shootout can only be good for snooker, taking it to a wider audience and drawing more people who wouldn't normally watch because it's fun.

You have to view it in a similar way to "Big Break" where there are a few laughs and a much more light hearted spirit. I'd agree it shouldn't remain a ranking event but can understand that was necessary to get initial attendance up to more than Zero!

Week in week out serious tourneys is great for us fans but it's not going to draw anyone new to the game. This might....You don't have to watch it but you should probably appreciate it's healthy for snooker.

They should use the Rasson table for this event too.

As I said last year, I have some acquaintances that hate snooker as "boring!" but last year all they could talk about was this event and even asked the landlord to turn the big screen over to it to watch!

"any publicity is good publicity" ?

ranking event? - no
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I like the event but don’t buy the ‘good for snooker’ theory. It might be good for this particular format, but that doesn’t follow that it’s good for the real snooker because they’re too different. It’s like when they tried to popularise classical music by having scantily-clad female violinists performing upbeat renditions of Beethoven. Those who enjoy that aren’t going to be suddenly hooked on traditional classical music, and in the same way non-snooker fans who enjoy the shootout aren’t going to be drawn to the traditional snooker.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
          I like the event but don’t buy the ‘good for snooker’ theory. It might be good for this particular format, but that doesn’t follow that it’s good for the real snooker because they’re too different. It’s like when they tried to popularise classical music by having scantily-clad female violinists performing upbeat renditions of Beethoven. Those who enjoy that aren’t going to be suddenly hooked on traditional classical music, and in the same way non-snooker fans who enjoy the shootout aren’t going to be drawn to the traditional snooker.
          But you still remember those "scantily-clad female violinists" don't you?
          I remember them too!
          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019
          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

You are quite right Billy, it wont suddenly happen. But its possible that over time a non snooker fan who has really enjoyed the shootout, may become interested in the skill involved in playing certain shots and become curious then think...I want to have a go!

Note the use of words "possible" & "may" which are still a dam site more positive than "no chance" or "never". Not all people will be converted but a few are better than none.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

It's a free market... If you don't like it, don't watch it.

It's been going on a few years now so clearly enough people like it to watch it. Any variant that doesn't catch on, doesn't last.

Looks like it's here to stay.

Personally I think it's bollocks. But it's good to see the cueing machines out of their comfort zone.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                But you still remember those "scantily-clad female violinists" don't you?
                I remember them too!
                I do

But the real point is that I still prefer to listen to real classical music than watch some gimmicky girl band with electric violins.

You are quite right Billy, it wont suddenly happen. But its possible that over time a non snooker fan who has really enjoyed the shootout, may become interested in the skill involved in playing certain shots and become curious then think...I want to have a go!

Note the use of words "possible" & "may" which are still a dam site more positive than "no chance" or "never". Not all people will be converted but a few are better than none.
                Fair enough, but I suspect the enthusiasm of anyone converted to real snooker would be very short lived. I may be sounding ultra pessimistic here but I just don’t think it works this way. If you were interested in real snooker you’d have sort it out a long time ago.
                Last edited by Billy; 19 February 2019, 06:02 PM.
                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                  Only good to watch with the sound off , and that's a struggle even then !
                  That's what I do and listen to music, the snooker is a laugh but the infantile audience isn't. I find that Tangerine Dream sets a diametric mood

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  Personally I think it's bollocks. But it's good to see the cueing machines out of their comfort zone.
                  I believe the cueing machines who don't enter are afraid to show they can play quickly. No one needs 30 seconds a shot if they're paying any kind of attention, you see it and you play it and make it happen.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I mean more of the 'they don't like it up em'

You'd be surprised how many pros can't play when there's a bit of banter in the air.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      I believe the cueing machines who don't enter are afraid to show they can play quickly. No one needs 30 seconds a shot if they're paying any kind of attention, you see it and you play it and make it happen.
                      Actually, all four players who have an average shot time of over 30 seconds this season have entered this event. In fact, the 25 slowest players on the tour have all entered it! On the other hand, five of the ten fastest players are missing. :smile:

Comment

I do

But the real point is that I still prefer to listen to real classical music than watch some gimmicky girl band with electric violins.

Fair enough, but I suspect the enthusiasm of anyone converted to real snooker would be very short lived. I may be sounding ultra pessimistic here but I just don’t think it works this way. If you were interested in real snooker you’d have sort it out a long time ago.
                        Billy were trying to "be down with the kids" here my good fellow. You need to think Mozart....:listening_headphone
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

It is a points grab for the lower ranked players; I would say make it a ranking event, but from rank 33-128

no automatic qualification for Champ of Champs - win a real tournament to enter that one.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                            I mean more of the 'they don't like it up em'

You'd be surprised how many pros can't play when there's a bit of banter in the air.
                            I like that part of it too, bring them down to the club level where they can't moan about noise and someone in their eyeline while they're doing their makeup! Lol.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Billy were trying to "be down with the kids" here my good fellow. You need to think Mozart....:listening_headphone
                              No, as I say I love it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                                Actually, all four players who have an average shot time of over 30 seconds this season have entered this event. In fact, the 25 slowest players on the tour have all entered it! On the other hand, five of the ten fastest players are missing. :smile:
                                Most of the players who doesn´t show up are top 16 players. If it was a best of 9 shoot out I think we would see O´Sullivan, Trump and other very good players, and they would have a good chance to win. Just remember how O´Sullivan dominated the Dr. Martens league when the played with a shot clock. But best of one is everymans game.
                                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                                X