No announcement yet.

Maple cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy may sound stupid but do you still oil a maple cue?

Comment

You can oil with linseed but it's very rare. Maple as a cue is more or less impossible to keep clean and white because of the nature of the shaft. Naturally dirt will build up and embed itself into the grain which is something less visible on ash and something you should consider.

I do feel that maple is less forgiving. I play with one myself having switch in 2009 but initially the transition is very difficult as the woods feels different. So if you are looking for maple , it may be an idea to try many cues before you buy and find which you like. Though this goes with any cue

Comment

Thanks for the advice i am going this afternoon to have knock with a frienda jamea butter maple and see how it goes

Comment

Well I can't use ash cues at all because they pull my facial/chin hairs. Not all, but most. Sensitive skin I guess.
          From a playability point of view, I will tell you this. Maple is definitely smoother running over bridge hand. Everything else is purely subjective.

Comment

I went from Ash to maple then back to ash. I was forced to change due to the joints breaking on my first two cues but have to say I much prefer ash.
            The markings on my ash cue help with my set up when walking into the shot and help me to deliver the cue in a straight line. I could pot with my maple cue and made centuries with it but I found I
            wasn't as accurate with the maple shaft, I was potting the balls but they weren't going into the parts of the pocket I was aiming at hence my position not being as good as I wanted it to be.

I also found the maple cue a bugger to keep clean, every time I used the rest I had to wipe away black marks from the shaft.

P.S all of the above is completely mental and in my head.
            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I never notice the markings as I'm concentrating on the potting angle and where I'm cueing and checking the angles correct and getting a feel for how much power and checking the potting angle and waving a finger about just before striking the cue ball hoping for the best :snooker:

Comment

I'm one that has always preferred maple and like others don't tend to like anything in my eye line but in not as bad as I use to be...
                Ash with straight grain is better for me than arrows...and like a round butt, as I've never liked the flat.

You can still get some good maple and made a lovely one a little while ago.
                For that one you've always wanted...
                https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Had a maple cue made for me by ton praram last year. It's a cracker, can get so much reaction from the white. Smooth as silk too, solid potting long and loads of feel in the balls. Ton certainly has some good maple, mines a series 2 and is almost blemish free!

Comment

Working...
                  X