Snookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    I tried it tonight and personally found it harder, for me that is.

I became a bit hooked up on drawing a line from the middle, then stepping over to the cue ball and making it work which it didn't because it slid a little and I'm sure I didn't quite get it right.

I've probably got too many years of just imagining a parallelogram which generally works for me (in reality I image a rectangle).
    I know it's easier said then done. It definitely works cause that's just the geometry behind it but it's hard to do in practice. Am down the club at the moment and used my chalk to find the middle and the rest to line it up to the pocket. I'd imagine it would be a bit frowned upon in match play

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
      I know it's easier said then done. It definitely works cause that's just the geometry behind it but it's hard to do in practice. Am down the club at the moment and used my chalk to find the middle and the rest to line it up to the pocket. I'd imagine it would be a bit frowned upon in match play
      No, please do it in a match and video it if you can.

I'm sure it's like most things; you need to see it in action, have a go and get the feel for it.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Sure you could just find the middle point, lay your cue on the table at that point, in the direction of the corner pocket, so you have a reference, then go over to the cue ball to see where you need to hit the cushion.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
          No, please do it in a match and video it if you can.....
          Hmm i'm sure that would be looked on favorably

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Hmm i'm sure that would be looked on favorably
            It would be interesting to see if your opponent had a sense of humour though!

When people were waiting for me to take my shot I used to just cue up and cue up and cue up to see how long before someone would go "COME ON!!!!!!!"

Sometimes you would be nearly bursting and trying not to laugh, especially when everyone else knew what was going on. Always used to do it with the impatient guys as it would lighten the evening when they realise they had been had.

You gotta work hard for a laugh nowadays that's for sure, things are far too serious!
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

This system worked pretty well for me...

Comment

This is the tried and tested method for one cushion escapes and you can use your cue too.

The best technique is to come around to the side of the table where you have to hit the cushion and work out the distance of the object ball off the cushion. You will often see pro players doing this. What they are doing is working out how far the ball is off the cushion to work out then where to hit the cushion.

So put the white on the blue spot and black on its spot too, but place the pink in a line between the blue and black and of equal distance from the blue and black. You are going to practise hitting the black as if in a snooker on the black.

So its fairly clear that you need to hit the cushion exactly halfway between the blue spot and black spot and exactly parallel with the pink, at a point on the cushion. But still come around to the cushion and pick this point out on the cushion even though you know its half way. You do this picking by the following (which you will continue to follow)- stand facing this cushion and point your cue at the black with the cue parallel with the top cushion. Almost touch the black with the tip (but you could hold the cue up to the side of the black to avoid a foul) and hold your finger at a point on the cue where the cue meets the cushion. Now rotate the cue through 45 degrees to meet the cushion to the left. This will be the point on the cushion you strike the white. Clearly its parallel with where the pink is. Now keeping looking at that spot on the cushion you've picked, walk around the table to play the shot. You will hit the black every time.

Now what Id like you to do is replace the white on the blue spot but instead of putting the black on its spot replace it around 5 inches from the side cushion parallel with the black spot. You can use the pink to snooker you again and roughly place it equidistant between the two balls. The pink position isn't hugely important for the moment but just to be snookering you. So follow the same procedure as before. Point the cue at the black, work out the distance and rotate to the left etc.

Clearly what you are doing is working out that if a ball is 5 inches from the cushion, the point you strike the cushion must be 5 inches away from the object ball along the cushion drawing a parallel line from where the object intersects the cushion . Its not illegal to use your cue as a measuring tool in the air like this (but I think it is if you place the cue on the table!). You see the pros sometimes come around, point at the object ball from the cushion and then point the cue along the cushion. They are working out the distance to the cushion.

This rule works for lots of shots other than some at straighter angles where you will go further past the angle following the above rule (you will see when you play), but generally being straighter with both the object ball and cue ball in your eyelines its easier to work out the point on the cushion (and I suspect you probably get these too)

Following these rules and being confident about the angles will then enable you to learn the effects of slide off cushions so you are differentiating between your ability to get the natural angle, and the slide (rather than thinking its all your judgement going wrong). But the slide off cushions is another thing altogether and more advanced.
                Last edited by Dynamics; 25 April 2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X