Robert Osborne Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Its a shame when you see some of the so called premium ash shafts now from the top UK cue makers and you see such ugly grain patterns. When you compare it to the Thai cue makers and even some of the Chinese cues, they just have the best shafts now. Why would anyone pay around £600+ when you can get a better cue from Thailand for half that!
    I suppose they're more new to it so their play-ability tends to vary, with some of the UK makers you're paying for their experience in knowing what makes a good playing cue instead of a cabinet queen cue with perfect grain and ebony as dark as a coal mine in a blackout. That's my take on it at least

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
      I suppose they're more new to it so their play-ability tends to vary, with some of the UK makers you're paying for their experience in knowing what makes a good playing cue instead of a cabinet queen cue with perfect grain and ebony as dark as a coal mine in a blackout. That's my take on it at least
      Most the Thai cue makers have been making cues for a long time, however its only in recent years due to the internet that the UK have taken notice of them. There are about 20 odd players now on the circuit using Thai cues, many in the top 32. Even many players in local clubs are using them now as well, I'm seeing more Phoenix, GBL and Maximus than UK branded cues. Give it 5 years and I doubt any of the UK makers except Parris will still be going, impossible for them to compete.

Comment

Red plates vary from £300 up to £350 and are in the designs shown on the website. The burwat champion style red plates are £325.

Green plates start at £500 for ebony. Can't remember entirely the price but a conniseur replica goes for £640 and 4 secondary snake wood spliced with thin green veneers over an ebony butt splice was £740.

Green plate 4 secondary splices of tulipwood like the "Parris elite" is £600 and the replica of the "Parris professional" is £550.

Green plate cue with 4 secondary splices of thuya burr and maple veneers was £680.

Green plate 4 secondary splices of birds eye maple is £600.

That's what i can remember at present.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
          Most the Thai cue makers have been making cues for a long time, however its only in recent years due to the internet that the UK have taken notice of them. There are about 20 odd players now on the circuit using Thai cues, many in the top 32. Even many players in local clubs are using them now as well, I'm seeing more Phoenix, GBL and Maximus than UK branded cues. Give it 5 years and I doubt any of the UK makers except Parris will still be going, impossible for them to compete.
          Well the UK cues seem to be more sought after abroad, Parris reckons that 60% of what they make goes abroad, some uk cue makers send a lot of their stuff abroad as well so they'll be around for a while i'd say.

Comment

Top guy Robert. I didn't know he had any maple 3/4's there...

Comment

Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
              Probably buried in the pile

Comment

alot of red plate ones yes and a couple green plate 3/4

Comment

Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
                  I tried to buy one a while back but he's not into posting cues out. Too much hassle.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                    I tried to buy one a while back but he's not into posting cues out. Too much hassle.
                    I can get where Robert is coming from. He had a fella come in from Germany to buy a cue which was perfectly fine and as he took it abroad the climate affected a part of the ebony and in Roberts eyes it was very superficial and nothing worth sending the cue back but the fella did and asked.robert to sort it out.

But Robert said what does the guy want him to.do with it. It's not.going to change anything but we snooker players are very fussy and perculiar about our equipment.

That's why he would rather ship to agents. He could send bent cues and not even receive a word back because the agents deal with it over there

Comment

Comment

Thats a nice looking cue must say they look beter than the 1piece cues
                        Current playing cue Trevor White
                        3/4 ash cue

Comment

Nice looking cue there mate, really liking the long splice fingers.
                          How does it play?

Comment

Originally Posted by MattCash View Post
                            Nice looking cue there mate, really liking the long splice fingers.
                            How does it play?
                            Delightful hahaha

Comment

What's all this chat about plates ie...green red and black are they different levels of materials as in quality ?

Comment

quality of shaft mainly, Black being the premium grade cue, going down.
                                There used to be a blue badge which was a machine spliced range.
                                You notice that those who have worked with Will Hunt; Robert O, etc. have similar colours
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X