Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Joe Davis' methodology still relevant ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Joe Davis' methodology still relevant ...?

I've flitted in and out of snooker, when I was young the only real authority was his book. In it I learnt to screwback properly the whole cue was lower, parallel with table.

Fast forward to the digital age, wow, such knowledge just a click away..amazing. Was watching Stephen Lee give a lesson in the far east and he seemed to advocate striking down butt raised, same with Barry Stark on cushion shots.

So, was Mr Davis method more use with the heavy balls of yesteryear...?

I think you'll find different coaches give different methods for the screw shot, some prefer an angle to the cue, others prefer it parallel. Same for the players some cue it differently from others, whatever works for you. Regardless of what way you play it, scooping the white is still very possible:

Last edited by narl; 13 January 2018, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy 7671 View Post
      I've flitted in and out of snooker, when I was young the only real authority was his book. In it I learnt to screwback properly the whole cue was lower, parallel with table.

Fast forward to the digital age, wow, such knowledge just a click away..amazing. Was watching Stephen Lee give a lesson in the far east and he seemed to advocate striking down butt raised, same with Barry Stark on cushion shots.

So, was Mr Davis method more use with the heavy balls of yesteryear...?
      IMHO Everything in Complete Snooker is still relative today for all standards up to pro

The Ronnie/Dell Hill rising cue action is very slight and could be easily incorporated into the JD method

Watch some youtube vids of JD playing, and you will see his action and playing still looks like a modern player, as do all of those that followed (except Alex Higgins !!!) - Rex Williams, John Pullman, John Spencer, Ray Reardon etc etc

Joe et al had a slightly more punchy style because of the Crystalite balls and cloths of the day

Comment

O.k., thank you, I will do that and report back.

He certainly had a confident air around the table didn't he. Shame the cameraman focuses on the balls more than todays standard of video incorporating the player as well. Never realized he used that american pool finger loop like Higgins, I'd say, in ignorance after only watching an hour or so that his style was more parallel than some.
        Last edited by andy 7671; 14 January 2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy 7671 View Post
          O.k., thank you, I will do that and report back.

He certainly had a confident air around the table didn't he. Shame the cameraman focuses on the balls more than todays standard of video incorporating the player as well. Never realized he used that american pool finger loop like Higgins, I'd say, in ignorance after only watching an hour or so that his style was more parallel than some.
          The looped bridge was much more common at that time, than it is today (except American pool). From memory Joe only employed it in his deep screw shot, in the text of his book he says it helps him to keep the cueing low.

Watching him in the Century break video, that is a long while after he quit competitive play - I think his style is a little more relaxed. If you find some of his earlier films his cue was very low to the table, and he kept so still he would have made Steve Davis look wobbly !!!

There is a great youtube video of him having a game with a very young Bruce Forsyth - Again it is after he retired, but you can clearly see how he braces himself before getting down, and getting that forearm swinging freely. All this is described in much detail in his books

Comment

Talking of Joe Davis - does anyone know what length of cue he played with?
            :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

I think it was 55". Saw it in Thurstons in Liverpool
              When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Originally Posted by ryanah147 View Post
                I think it was 55". Saw it in Thurstons in Liverpool
                Thanks,I think that was what I read in one of Fred Davis' books but wasn't sure.I didn't know the cue was at Thurstons
                :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

Working...
                X