Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anger/speed improving game

So here's a bit of a weird one...

Firstly as a background, my highest break is 40 but this was about ten years ago. I have only started playing regularly again recently and have only managed a few 20 breaks.

I've been trying to read as much as I can about how to improve my game and have checked Barry Stark's videos. Today when practising I really took my time over every shot, was concentrating incredibly hard but I couldn't pot more than a couple in a row.

After a while I got pretty annoyed and just thought to hell with everything and started getting down on the shot and pretty much just swinging my cue as I was getting down to the shot.

... And for a while I couldn't miss. It was bizarre, I was playing stupidly fast, think 90s Ronnie, but I just knew that every ball was going in the centre of the pocket before I was even down on the shot, whether short, mid range or even a couple of long pots.

After a fair few pots in a row I took a second to add up what I'd scored and it was 36. I tried to think about what exactly I'd been doing so well for the last few balls as if I carried on then 50 was easily achievable but after taking stock of the situation and thinking about what I was doing, you guessed it, I missed the next shot by a mile.

I then got annoyed again and just started getting down and swinging my arm and again everything was going in. Got one pot away from another 30 and then started to think about what I was doing again and surprise surprise, I missed the next shot.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any ideas what I might be doing right when I'm playing lightning fast that I'm not doing when I take my time?

I wish it was as simple as just "play fast if you are potting them" but as soon as I start to think like this and actually concentrate on playing fast then I start missing again.

I'm hoping this isn't just me that has ever experienced anything like this and if anyone has any similar stories and managed to get over it then I'd love to here how... I feel like I have a 50 break or even more in me but I need to figure out what I'm doing right and do it consistently.

You're probably just following through the white much better when you're swinging at the shot.

Take your time, keep your head still, and push the cue all the way through that cue ball.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

This game is about tempo and flow so probably when you are trying really hard - you have no rhythm. But when playing fast you are developing a rhythm...It is totally normal - but hard to take that type of game in match play because you won't be returning to the table sooner than a friendly game and you will think yourself out of that flow.

Best to try that hard in practice - and practice match play with the technique but focusing outwards (on the table, balls, line of aim) than inward (thinking about your cue arm how you will stroke, keeping calm). I find that using outward focus is the way to succeed when playing serious games - the inner thought process should only be to remain still and calm. Don't focus your energy on technique during play; only do that in practice.

Comment

I would agree with Tedisbill, you are getting through the ball better. And since you are playing fast and loose, your arm is likely more relaxed, you aren't likely overthinking the potting angle or position play. I don't think it's beneficial to most people to play at a break neck pace, I mean, Ronnie slowed down for a reason. But this point it seems beneficial because it is masking a few issues to be sure.

Personally, I've been struggling a bit recently with my cueing and it seems to be improved quite a bit by eliminating feathering. But I don't think the answer is to eliminate feathering from my routine but rather understanding why it is having a positive impact.

Comment

Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
          So here's a bit of a weird one...

Firstly as a background, my highest break is 40 but this was about ten years ago. I have only started playing regularly again recently and have only managed a few 20 breaks.

I've been trying to read as much as I can about how to improve my game and have checked Barry Stark's videos. Today when practising I really took my time over every shot, was concentrating incredibly hard but I couldn't pot more than a couple in a row.

After a while I got pretty annoyed and just thought to hell with everything and started getting down on the shot and pretty much just swinging my cue as I was getting down to the shot.

... And for a while I couldn't miss. It was bizarre, I was playing stupidly fast, think 90s Ronnie, but I just knew that every ball was going in the centre of the pocket before I was even down on the shot, whether short, mid range or even a couple of long pots.

After a fair few pots in a row I took a second to add up what I'd scored and it was 36. I tried to think about what exactly I'd been doing so well for the last few balls as if I carried on then 50 was easily achievable but after taking stock of the situation and thinking about what I was doing, you guessed it, I missed the next shot by a mile.

I then got annoyed again and just started getting down and swinging my arm and again everything was going in. Got one pot away from another 30 and then started to think about what I was doing again and surprise surprise, I missed the next shot.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any ideas what I might be doing right when I'm playing lightning fast that I'm not doing when I take my time?

I wish it was as simple as just "play fast if you are potting them" but as soon as I start to think like this and actually concentrate on playing fast then I start missing again.

I'm hoping this isn't just me that has ever experienced anything like this and if anyone has any similar stories and managed to get over it then I'd love to here how... I feel like I have a 50 break or even more in me but I need to figure out what I'm doing right and do it consistently.
          Firstly it's not weird at all.
          What you're doing is not thinking and simply hitting what you're looking at using your natural hand/eye which is exactly the way it should be.
          A lot of players overide their natural hand/eye in search of an unattainable perfect cue action and then lose their natural hand/eye completely due to the myriad of thought processes going through their head every time they play a shot.
          If your natural hand eye puts the cue right on the line of aim then all you need do is look at the target, keep your head still, don't drop the shoulder into the stroke, don't decelerate, don't snatch on the backswing, don't move your body, put your lead foot on the line of aim, look at the object ball on the strike etc etc hahahahahahahaha I'm doing it now

Can we start a 'me too' movement on this thread, I'm in.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I definitely have a tendency to overthink things, not just in snooker but in life!

Maybe if I just focus on one thing I'll have some success, sounds like I'm probably hitting through the ball better and my arm is definitely more relaxed now that I think about it.

Playing a mate tonight, think I'll just focus on keeping still and hitting through the ball, see how I get on. Worst case scenario I might just get mad and go mental for a few shots again :biggrin-new:.

Comment

Had a similar experience yesterday. Currently on nights, but thought I'd have a practice in the afternoon. I was playing my friend and winning but ultimately frustrated with my state of play (nights and fatigue a big issue I know).
              However in the 5th frame, I'd gotten to having the green to black left on the table, I thought right, forget the technique........ Down and hit them.
              Knocked all 5 in, in no time at all, perfect position on each ball. Bizzare how it worked and felt right.
              If it was only so easy all the time.
              As said above, it's as if I just relaxed and let the arm do the talking.
              Just a shame I ran out of balls to pot whilst in the zone.

Comment

Just got back from playing my mate and played, without question, the worst I have played for years, despite practising more over the last few weeks than I have for years. Didn't get a break over 9 (NINE!!).

I hate this game sometimes...

Comment

Getting 3 Yellows with Reds is always a bit if a pi55er, tbh :wink:

Comment

Working...
                  X