Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the 'miss' call still at ref's discretion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 'miss' call still at ref's discretion?

Mark Allen just snookered himself on all colours. He called the yellow, and had to cue down over the pack of reds to find an escape. He missed the yellow by a cat's.

I did wonder - and kind of hoped for the sake of fairness - that referee Paul Collier wouldn't call a miss. He did call a miss and Mark hit the yellow on his second attempt, but can the ref even do that nowadays?
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Is the 'miss' call still at ref's discretion?

the first line of the Miss rule is that the player must play to the best of their ability, and I do think that the referees consider the pro players have the ability to get out of very difficult situations.
    It has been known of a ref not to call a miss and when that happens it is well received
    Last edited by DeanH; 8 November 2018, 08:57 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yep, have a read of http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...-Your-thoughts

I'm sure there is a count of how many times a "miss" hasn't been called, but I doubt that I'd need more than my fingers and toes per season.

Comment

In that case it's a shame so few refs have the balls these days. Not even the mighty Mr Collier.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
          Mark Allen just snookered himself on all colours. He called the yellow, and had to cue down over the pack of reds to find an escape. He missed the yellow by a cat's.

I did wonder - and kind of hoped for the sake of fairness - that referee Paul Collier wouldn't call a miss. He did call a miss and Mark hit the yellow on his second attempt, but can the ref even do that nowadays?
          If a higher value colour on its spot was easier to hit but Allen would have left a red on then Collier was right to call a miss. It's not always how close you get; if you choose a more difficult escape for the sake of leaving it safe then a miss must be called if you miss it.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
            If a higher value colour on its spot was easier to hit but Allen would have left a red on then Collier was right to call a miss. It's not always how close you get; if you choose a more difficult escape for the sake of leaving it safe then a miss must be called if you miss it.
            Ah, good point! I overlooked this fact.

Comment

For all reasons above the miss rule doesn't really work at amateur level in clubs etc.
              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019
              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Yes,in my opinion, the miss rule is definately an unacceptable rule in snooker sport. Sooner or later this rule will be changed or abolished.

Comment

Working...
                X