Ref sportsmanship on table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
    I thought it particularly obnoxious of Judd not to acknowledge Robertsons 100th ton that year.
    Yes, and it was obnoxious when England didn't celebrate Croatia's winning goal in the last world cup. And when Steve Davis didn't do a lap of honour with Dennis Taylor in 1985. This is sport, not a tea party. Maybe you just don't like Trump, as the OP doesn't like Ding? It's not like either of them prance around like Cristiano Ronaldo. I happen to enjoy watching both these players and have never picked up on this. They both have strops, but they've also seemed to me to be aimed at themselves rather than their opponents. Have any current players on the tour who interact with them week in week out said they have an issue with either player's sportsmanship?

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
      I suppose it's where you set the bar for sportsmanship. I've never really noticed who taps the table, other than Selby doing it a lot.

I noticed Ronnie clattering into a ball with the rest and not calling a foul on himself. I noticed Alli Carter putting an elbow into Ronnie as he walked passed him. I noticed Alli Carter again, sarcastically applauding Judd in the worlds a few years back to needle him. I noticed Ebdon slowing rolling Drago until Drago's head nearly exploded. Alex Higgins threatened to shoot Dennis Taylor. In other sports, I've seen boxers bite chunks out of each other, footballers breaking legs through a spiteful challenge, rugby players hiding blood capsules in their mouths, cricket players tampering with equipment and bike racers kick their opponent off their bike. Table tapping or not has never seemed that important, or the bar to reach in terms of what makes someone a good sport.
      I think you can only compare within a sport. Every sport has its own terms of fair play and sportsmanship. Whether this is to acknowledge a good shot in snooker, smashing your racket in tennis or provocate opponents in football. Though most sports (except for boxing maybe) share some unwritten "sporting rules" like you should respect your opponent and should not insult him.
      And therefore within each sport you can say if somebody is a better or worse sportsman.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
        And therefore within each sport you can say if somebody is a better or worse sportsman.
        Don't disagree with that. Better or worse is different than saying someone is a bad sport though. That transcends different sports.

Snooker 'sportsmanship' is inconsistent anyway. It's not about acknowledging good play, it's about a good safety. You don't see players applauding a century break (other than a 147), or a long pot- it seems acceptable for a player to put their head in their hands for the long pots, or leave the arena entirely following a winning break. Are those reactions poor-sportsmanship too? Congratulating a safety is little more than a habit, which someone started long ago and has spread. It has nothing about good or bad sportsmanship, or respect for the opponents good play. If someone makes the decision not to do this, it isn't really a big deal.

We certainly have some extremely gracious players. For me Robertson is the best example. He's not necessarily applauding shots through the match, but he always seems to have a laugh and joke with his opponent at the end, win or lose.

Trump is more insular, and tends to get a bit mardy with his game if things don't go well. Other than following Carter's (bit angry) behavior in 2012 or Wilson's comments following the Champion on Champions (inventing a grudge which no one cares about), Trump always speaks respectfully of his opponents away from the table and in post match interviews. The person he tends to criticise is himself. Tbh he attracts a disproportionate amount of criticism from people, concerning his technique, his level of success, how he spends his money, even for taking his brother on the tour. Now he's had some more success it seems to be more personal. Suddenly his technique is fine, he's not a bottler, but he's a bad sportsman. Come on. Just leave the kid alone to play his snooker, no one forces anyone to watch his matches.

Never had a hint of poor sportsmanship from Ding on or off the table, unless you count a brief moment in the 2007 masters final, when he lost his head a bit. Not sure where that view originated from. Again,don't like, don't watch.

Comment

Alex Higgins never rapped the table to his opponent. He was usually appreciative to good play, however. It’s each to his own, really. Certainly Ding is always humble and sportsmanlike in his interviews.

Comment

Working...
          X