Getting a snooker table!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a snooker table!

Hey guys, so Im planning on finally getting my own table within the month..currently looking for the best deal on a steelblock, not too picky on the brand. Will keep you guys posted. I was just thinking the other week how ridiculous it is the amount of money I spend practicing at the club...playing snooker is worse than having a girlfriend lol. This way I can finally put in twice as much practice and save money at the same time so Im super excited!

I would ask around for a decent brand Oma, just ask Les what can happen if you just dive in. Geoff Large or any of the lads who own one should be able to help you. You might have to post in the tables section, I'm not sure if Geoff ventures this high up the board.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Ah thanks for the advice and yea definitely wont rush into it. When I say I'm not too picky, I'm fine as long as its Steel block and one of these decent brands : Shender, Wiraka, BCE, Riley, Brunswick, etc and long as its within my price budget (about 3 grand)

Comment

That's very Nice omaMiesta !!! When I was 10 years old, there was a guy who had a snooker club. not Such a big deal, it was a small club with 5 tables !! I went every day standing there watching. until he asked me one day,, what is your business here every day? I said, I want to play snooker but I have no money , I just wanna watch !! he offerd me a job. I went every day there to clean toilets and floor and in return, I got information to play snooker half an hour a day for free !!! Maybe a bit Off The topic story But my point is, not everyone gets the opportunity to have their own table. I'm glad you have that, but try to use your time wisely. Play every day and do'nt wast ur time. I wise u luk and hope enjoy ur game !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
          That's very Nice omaMiesta !!! When I was 10 years old, there was a guy who had a snooker club. not Such a big deal, it was a small club with 5 tables !! I went every day standing there watching. until he asked me one day,, what is your business here every day? I said, I want to play snooker but I have no money , I just wanna watch !! he offerd me a job. I went every day there to clean toilets and floor and in return, I got information to play snooker half an hour a day for free !!! Maybe a bit Off The topic story But my point is, not everyone gets the opportunity to have their own table. I'm glad you have that, but try to use your time wisely. Play every day and do'nt wast ur time. I wise u luk and hope enjoy ur game !!!
          You were lucky! I had to clean't toilets, with me tongue mind, and pay t'owner 6 pence a week for't privilege!
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

Wow, thats pretty awesome. And yea thats definitely the plan. Ive always wanted my own snooker table but just couldn't save enough money for one or convince my parents it would be a wise investment Finally managed to convince my dad the other day so I'm really excited. Space was always a big issue but I managed to make some in my dads warehouse office. Appreciate the advice

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
              You were lucky! I had to clean't toilets, with me tongue mind, and pay t'owner 6 pence a week for't privilege!

Comment

Oma:

You can talk to Odie Willet who usually has some tables in stock but he will charge you over the going rate and you'll have to negotiate. I would try and stick to BCE, Shender or Riley. I'm not sure if Brunswick made any steel blocked as I've never seen one and the Wiraka tables are not very good quality as they are made out of composition board.

There is another dealer somewhere near Hamilton but I forget his website now but Les Edwards has his contact info. He usually has some nice tables but he charges a lot for the older ones, way above your budget but he might have some newer ones at a reasonable price.

Then you'll need to get it clothed and perhaps re-rubbered and Pat McCarthy is the guy to call for that.

What I would do in your place is enter the ontariosnooker.club tournament this weekend and there may be someone there who will be able to help you out with some info. Pat might even be playing. and he might know if there are any tables available.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Oma yes Terry is right. Brunswick never made a Steel Block table. The BCE I bought needed a pile of work and I paid $4,000 for mine installed with cloth. I will keep my eyes open for you. Terry and myself will be runing the tournament on the weekend at The Corner Bank where you have been practicing. Come on down Saturday morning. You need to register by 11:00am and the cost is $40. You can also register online on our website. Check out the website www.ontariosnooker.club
                  " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                  " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                  http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Probably showing my ignorance now but can you add a set of steel block cushions to a standard table, in other words can you buy a replacement set of cushions and just retro fit them.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Probably showing my ignorance now but can you add a set of steel block cushions to a standard table, in other words can you buy a replacement set of cushions and just retro fit them.
                      Yes you can.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        No something I would want to attempt. Plus to find steel blocks just laying around in our part of the world would be virtually impossible. Even finding a steel block table is task.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          Oma:

You can talk to Odie Willet who usually has some tables in stock but he will charge you over the going rate and you'll have to negotiate. I would try and stick to BCE, Shender or Riley. I'm not sure if Brunswick made any steel blocked as I've never seen one and the Wiraka tables are not very good quality as they are made out of composition board.

There is another dealer somewhere near Hamilton but I forget his website now but Les Edwards has his contact info. He usually has some nice tables but he charges a lot for the older ones, way above your budget but he might have some newer ones at a reasonable price.

Then you'll need to get it clothed and perhaps re-rubbered and Pat McCarthy is the guy to call for that.

What I would do in your place is enter the ontariosnooker.club tournament this weekend and there may be someone there who will be able to help you out with some info. Pat might even be playing. and he might know if there are any tables available.
                          Honestly I think its perhaps better I just wait a little longer and save up for a BCE, Riley, or Shender as those were my first picks. I would have loved to come down this Sat but unfortunately Ill be working and cant take time off with such short notice. Definitely down for the next event. Ill come by after work though if you guys will still be there in the late evening. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                            Hi Oma yes Terry is right. Brunswick never made a Steel Block table. The BCE I bought needed a pile of work and I paid $4,000 for mine installed with cloth. I will keep my eyes open for you. Terry and myself will be runing the tournament on the weekend at The Corner Bank where you have been practicing. Come on down Saturday morning. You need to register by 11:00am and the cost is $40. You can also register online on our website. Check out the website www.ontariosnooker.club
                            Thanks for the info, gonna have to miss out this weekend due to work but Ill definitely come for the next. Also $4000 seems like a really good price for it to be clothed and installed. I'm currently talking to a few people regarding the tables, Lev Vaintroub used to handle all my pool table maintenance so hes looking around for a decent steel block and so is Don at first choice billiards.

Comment

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                              Thanks for the info, gonna have to miss out this weekend due to work but Ill definitely come for the next. Also $4000 seems like a really good price for it to be clothed and installed. I'm currently talking to a few people regarding the tables, Lev Vaintroub used to handle all my pool table maintenance so hes looking around for a decent steel block and so is Don at first choice billiards.
                              That's too bad you cannot make it but deffinatly stop by after work as we might still be there. All depends on how many players we have. As for your table be patient one will show up. I will keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X