No announcement yet.

Tip Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got to agree with tinytim and Rob. As I said earlier I play with a 9.5mm and can play all the shots that I want to play.
    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the only thing that is important is what you're comfortable with - and what you have most success using. Many people won't get on with a smaller tip - if you don't cue well you'll get too much unwanted side which throws the cueball off and leads to missed pots. It took me a couple of years to adjust to using an 8-ball cue with an 8mm tip, but I am certainly glad now that I stuck with it.
      Got to say tho, you're wrong in thinking a smaller tip is for people who don't time the ball well. That's not the point at all. Its about getting maximum spin with minimum pace on the white. In 8-ball its quite common to need to play shots into middle pockets from acute angles, and you can't play these at pace. But at the same time, you might likely need to apply spin to the wide to screw back or come off a cushion with a lot of side. If you have a larger tip you are at a disadvantage playing these shots.
      I hear people all the time say "I can't get as much spin with a 9mm tip as I can with a smaller tip". Well - you can't! That's just science, and you can't argue with science! The main point, and again this is really the only bit that matters, is whether you feel you can get ENOUGH spin with a 9mm tip or whatever you're using. The same player WILL generate more action of the white with an 8mm tip than they will with a 9mm tip - assuming all other factors are the same. I know some cues are more responsive than others, and some tips are too. And how you shape your tip for 8-ball also comes into it. But anyone saying that they can get AS MUCH spin with a 9mm tip as they can with an 8mm tip is not telling the truth.
      BUT to say again, its whatever works for you. Certainly my understanding is that a large majority of 8-ball players are using cues quite a bit lighter than a snooker cue - 16-17ozs - with small tips. 9mm not uncommon, but not normally bigger than that, and more commonly smaller.

Comment

Yes exactly- I play county A with an Indian, Northern Ireland and England International (Sounds like a start of a joke ) they all use 9 MM + Tips, out of eleven player in our team I would say 3 people use tips smaller that 9MM. It's all down to cueing, any half decent player should be able to control the white with any tip whether it be 8mm or 10mm.

Comment

I did find this thread on here from a few years back where everyone seems to agree that 8mm is the way forward!? So I do find it interesting that most people posting on this thread seem to agree that larger tips are find. Not sure if anything has really changed in the game? Balls/cloth etc largely the same (the Pro Cup balls do play a little different admittedly). But worth reading this http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...9&pp=10&page=1
          In fairness though, most people seem to agree that whatever works best for you is the way forward. And I totally get that people say they can get enough action on the white with a 9mm tip or bigger. If you have a decent cue action then yeah of course you should be able to. But I wonder how many of you guys with larger tips have tried a smaller size? If you haven't, I'd really recommend it. It was a massive eye-opener for me and transformed my game.

Comment

I agree with most on this. I myself use a tip just over 9mm and have no problem getting reaction or controlling the cue ball, I can play any shot that you can with a smaller tip. Every county player I know bar a couple use a tip between 9-10mm. The ones that don't are the ones that don't play snooker/have no cue action. I have played with smaller tips before and found no benefits what so ever. Personally I do find that a 10mm cue does tend to be a bit chunky though for pool but that's just personal preference.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
              I can play any shot that you can with a smaller tip.
              Mate I am sorry but how can you say that? I honestly don't want to get into a disagreement on this, but seriously?
              There are shots that YOU can play with a smaller tip that you CAN'T play with a larger tip. The best example I can think of is a pot from a very tight angle to the middle pocket with screw. With a smaller tip you wouldn't need to hit the shot so hard, making the pot much more makeable, and still getting the screw needed on the white. YOU would have a greater success rate playing this shot using a cue with a smaller tip.
              If you've not tried this you'll have to take my word for it. Believe me, I have spent a LOT of time on this!!

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                I don't think there is any need to buy two cues. 9.5mm is perfectly adequate for both games IMO (even 9mm).
                nearly agree, I would say 10mm is ideal for both games, if a player says he needs a smaller tip for better control or to play shots he can't with a bigger tip he is just admitting his cueing/timing/touch is inadequate

if players are sub-fifty breakers they should avoid smaller tips as their cueing is below standard anyway

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                  if a player says he needs a smaller tip for better control or to play shots he can't with a bigger tip he is just admitting his cueing/timing/touch is inadequate
                  Its actually the opposite. If you have inadequate cueing/timing/touch the last thing that you want is a small tip. You'll have little control over the white and be applying side by mistake and all sorts.

Comment

yes, but these people can't play anyway so are always looking for excuses, hence the 'I need a small tip for pool' or 'I get more reaction with a smaller tip' - unless players are of a high standard they should avoid small tips, what I said was players saying they cannot play shots with a larger tip compared to a smaller tip have inadequate cueing, not that these people should use smaller tips, they should not

Comment

I think what everyone is trying to say is that not everyone can play with a smaller/bigger tip, horses for courses etc..... It's whatever you're comfortable with that counts, exactly the same as not everyone will get on with a Parris but will with a Wooldridge or different weights, tapers, Butt Size etc....all personal preferences. Not trying to be argumentative but stating things like 'If you're a very good pool player - or you want to become one - you need an 8mm or 8.5mm tip' is simply not true. It's like saying to be a top Snooker player you should only use a 10mm tip, if you use anything else you wont be good enough :-)

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                        Mate I am sorry but how can you say that? I honestly don't want to get into a disagreement on this, but seriously?
                        There are shots that YOU can play with a smaller tip that you CAN'T play with a larger tip. The best example I can think of is a pot from a very tight angle to the middle pocket with screw. With a smaller tip you wouldn't need to hit the shot so hard, making the pot much more makeable, and still getting the screw needed on the white. YOU would have a greater success rate playing this shot using a cue with a smaller tip.
                        If you've not tried this you'll have to take my word for it. Believe me, I have spent a LOT of time on this!!

I suppose you mean getting the position required rather than making the shot. Regardless, if you cue a ball well you can do what you want with a ball. As I said in my previous post I have tried smaller tips even down to 7mm and have found no difference.

Comment

if you can cue and your timing is good you can do it as well with a 10 as a 7, if you cannot it is your cueing at fault if you feel you have to hit it harder, though let's face it, on a 6ft table hardly any shots have to be hit hard compared with a 12ft table so that argument is irrelevant to 99% of shots played anyway

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                            if you can cue and your timing is good you can do it as well with a 10 as a 7, if you cannot it is your cueing at fault if you feel you have to hit it harder, though let's face it, on a 6ft table hardly any shots have to be hit hard compared with a 12ft table so that argument is irrelevant to 99% of shots played anyway
                            As I pointed out on another thread, my only real problem with tip size being bigger, is that it is more difficult to play over a ball ( when chinesed ).

Well at my skill level anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

16.5 ounces is definitely too light for 9-ball - but you already know that I guess. I'd just be a little sceptical about adding that much lead. Likely to affect balance and feel quite a bit.
                              I don't really play 9-ball so can't really help - but I think you're on the right lines with 11mm. I know when snooker players have played 9-ball before they've used a snooker cue - but this probably isn't right for most people.
                              If I were you I'd have a look at buying a proper 9-ball cue to be honest. If you're taking up the game, its a good idea to learn it with the right kit from the off.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
                                Hi, thinking of taking up 9-ball. Would an 11mm snooker cue be ok for the job? It's a Joe Davis 147 maple cue at 16.5 ounces. Probably needs 3 ounce of lead added. What do folk use for 9-ball or American 8 on here?
                                That cue will lack the grunt needed to play 9 ball. All depends how much you want to pay (and how often you will play). Most serious players in uk play with a Predator, but they are pricey to say the least.

It takes a long time, and much trial and error, to find a cue that's right for you. Try before you buy, is my advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X