No announcement yet.

Tip and Chalk issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was advised by an old guy at Riley 43 or so years ago to either.

1) clean it and soak it for about a week and clap it for a couple of weeks until dry.

2) Using a gas ring on a stove hold the cue 16"-18" above the flame rotating it (DO NOT BURN THE WOOD - BE CAREFULL) the take it away from the flame and flex it where it is bent. repeat until satisfied!

I did 2) on a then 85 plus year old cue which was 2"-2.5" inches out at the end of the cue and ended up approx. 1/16th" out - took me about 30 mins and the now 125 year old cue has stayed at 1/16th"

Not sure what the wood is but it is a one piece cue with NO slices. it was embossed on the butt E.J.Riley and about 18" up 16 1/2oz.

It has been suggested that the wood is beech but I don.t know, I last used it about 2 years ago.

Comment

ooooppppsss forgot to point out, the part of the cue you heat up is where you want it to bend.

PS I accept no responsibility whatsoever for kitchen fires or damage to cues etc!

Comment

I like this idea but it does sound risky!

Comment

Just made some 10mm tips at work out of rubber! They are 80 shore hardness. Stuck it on with silicone sealant. Looks to have done a good job. Got a pool match tonight so will have a mess around with it then. Might have to tinker with them until I get the hardness I'm looking for. So hopefully these will be good enough.
          I drilled out a piece of epoxy resin several times with a 10mm drill bit, to make the tip impression. Then mixed and poured the rubber to set. It would be fantastic if these worked.
          No more inconsistency from tips and no more chalk!!! Hate cleaning tables! Lol. (I actually enjoy that part).
          Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
          https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
            Just made some 10mm tips at work out of rubber! They are 80 shore hardness. Stuck it on with silicone sealant. Looks to have done a good job. Got a pool match tonight so will have a mess around with it then. Might have to tinker with them until I get the hardness I'm looking for. So hopefully these will be good enough.
            I drilled out a piece of epoxy resin several times with a 10mm drill bit, to make the tip impression. Then mixed and poured the rubber to set. It would be fantastic if these worked.
            No more inconsistency from tips and no more chalk!!! Hate cleaning tables! Lol. (I actually enjoy that part).
            Rubber tips have been around for a while but never caught on. Can't remember their drawback - too much deflection, possibly.

What does shore hardness mean? Is it the same as coefficient of restitution (COR)?

Comment

There's a bloke plays with one of those orange rubber tips in our club, he's not a bad single ball potter but everything is centre plain ball when I watch him so I don't know how the tip plays, it looks like a jelly tot stuck on his cue though.
              I think it's one of these he has, I'm guessing it's rubber.
              http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/No-Chalk-...-/171906786830
              Last edited by itsnoteasy; 9 August 2016, 10:08 AM.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Its the density measurement according to its durability. Works similarly to resin. Rubber and a catalyst. I can't go much harder than 80 shore as the maximum reading is 100. So to make it harder I would need to introduce some type of filling agent. Which will obviously affect the compound.
                Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                  How did you get on with the tip?
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                  X