far side of pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Talisman has 11 layers. The tip is rock hard all the way through almost like it's soaked in glue. I used 0.5mm pigskin and gave it a really good coating and at the moment it expands like an accordion, or a bad Elk that's broken down.

It certainly gets your brain going though so I'm sure I'll have some fun!
    Less glue and thicker layers and more compression getting any air out. So the best of the hide as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
      Less glue and thicker layers and more compression getting any air out. So the best of the hide as well.
      I was thinking more glue to stop the accordion effect. Ho hum! Soaking in milk at the moment and compress tomorrow for fun.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
        I was thinking more glue to stop the accordion effect. Ho hum! Soaking in milk at the moment and compress tomorrow for fun.
        Well, you could be right. KUTGW I need go and climb a tree and cut a rogue branch off but it's still better than being covered in glue. lol

Comment

Well, you could be right. KUTGW I need go and climb a tree and cut a rogue branch off but it's still better than being covered in glue. lol
          Crikey I'm getting older! KUTGW? I've been sat here for ages thinking what's that. All I could get was Catch you tonight, gone walkabout (even tough the K is wrong). Cause you off to cut a branch off that's what I settled for until my wife told me what it was.

Any TTFN, TDFAW, SUL.

Comment

Shockerz are you compressing the layers as they dry? I would glue them all ,then chisel them off my fingers and bang them in a vice as tight as I could get it and leave at least overnight.
            What does KUTGW mean?
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Shockerz are you compressing the layers as they dry? I would glue them all ,then chisel them off my fingers and bang them in a vice as tight as I could get it and leave at least overnight.
              What does KUTGW mean?
              Yep. Glued them all together, compressed between two laminate boards in a vice overnight (nice and tight).

Still came out like a poor elk at first glance (11 layers of 0.5mm). Used a nice amount of glue as well so not a lack of it.

As there is some give in the 10cm square pad I have cut a 10mm slither off it and cut them into squares and have put into some milk to leave over night whilst I am waiting for a 10mm circular leather punch to come.

I will further compress the squares probably in the vice and a tip compressor to see if it makes any difference (just to see if I can get them to compress and stay compressed).

When I've got the leather punch I'll pop a few circles out and play with soaking them and then putting a sealing substance round the outside to see if I can get them to keep their shape.

I'd already say I have the wrong leather consistency but want to see how this fares before looking at anything else!!

Problem I have is I can only do 10 tips at a time as I run out of glue and fingers

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                What does KUTGW mean?
                My wife said it means keep up the good work but I haven't achieved any yet so not sure!

Comment

INE has a point. I'd press the life out of the strip. If it gets tough, place a metal tube over the vice handle to get more leverage and turn, turn, turn.

On leather consistency. The best leathers are in S.E. Asia apparently. Yikes! But you could always order some via alibaba search I guess. Kamui import their leather as well. So if you see an advert for a tip made from Japanese leather, it's bull. Most quality leather comes from Thailand.
                  Last edited by Big Splash!; 11 August 2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

INE has a point. I'd press the life out of the strip. If it gets tough, place a metal tube over the vice handle to get more leverage and turn, turn, turn.

On leather consistency. The best leathers are in S.E. Asia apparently. Yikes! But you could always order some via alibaba search I guess. Kamui import their leather as well. So if you see an advert for a tip made from Japanese leather, it's bull. Most quality leather comes from Thailand.
                    That's a pig to get hold of then

Comment

Yep I would put the layers between metal not wood so there is no give, and get it as tight as I could. If the leather is say 0.6 mill and you have ten layers if it turns out any higher than 6 mill the leather is soaking up the glue and expanding, I would guess, so maybe a different glue or give each layer of leather a quick wipe with glue and get that dry as quick as possible , this might then provide a barrier when glueing the layers together( or not lol).
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                      X