Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Hand Made' Cues - Do they have any inherent value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm beginning to wonder about your sanity splash. Auora if I remember right said something along the lines that he'd never make a pearwood cue because it's a wood incapable of producing the shots needed by a snooker player. He was obviously a fool to say that as he admitted elsewhere he'd never even touch a pearwood cue let alone made or played with one. Like you he was merely reading the comments of others who were all guessing as to why it's rarely used and going with the flow.
    There is only one way to judge a cue and that's to play with it and build your own opinion ignore the badge, read the comments of others yeah but don't take it as gospel everyone has a hole in their bum and their mouth it's just a pity that more crap comes out of the mouth of some than out their backside.
    If you really are convinced air dried ash is better than kiln dried and can tell the difference so be it but you stand alone pal and just continue to speel out crap from the wrong end.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jimmymoller View Post
      You only have to look at the trees themselves, North American Ash grows tall and straight in a more suitable climate for it than English Ash thus the prettier looking even grain and like Maple there are thousands and thousands of acres of it. Thus as a wood it's plentiful, hopefully sustainable for many many years, suits the requirements of a cue and most of all cheap.
      Pear trees grow to a fraction of the height and as any kid who has ever climbed one will tell you being like a twisty apple tree it's easy to climb thus when felled and in the timber mills it produces boards which are far less straight and uniformed than Ash or Maple with plenty of knots. Hornbeam is similar in that it too is suitable for cues but it's a much smaller tree etc.
      So getting a plentiful supply of decent pear is more difficult and more expensive when you do find it.
      So very few snooker cues (not including old billiard cues here) exist that are steamed pear and thus so few are ever tried by anyone it's virtually an alien wood to cueists. But get a good in and it's a keeper for life. Mine certainly is.
      Cheers Jimmy, obvious when you think about the shape of the trees how rare decent Pear boards will be. Another daft question have any cues been made from Apple ?
      Last edited by itsnoteasy; 19 August 2016, 03:19 PM.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• yes some old cues were made from apple. And some newer ones

Comment

• @INE, shafts have been made from every timber you can think of. Pear warps, apple warps. Look at the tree and you'll see why the wood from these trees moves so much. Cutting a straight square out of one don't mean it will stay straight over time. If pear was any good, cue makers like MW would be using it. They're not. Groller can make tips out of his wife's shoes but that's no reason to listen to his garbage on cues.

@Dean, show us the evidence for your claim. Not what someone said, something concrete from Richard.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
            @Dean, show us the evidence for your claim. Not what someone said, something concrete from Richard.
            he posted a video of him doing it on his own website, on a table with Chinese newspaper all over it etc.
            don't know if it is still there but many on TSF watched at the time
            this was after the "Arin is dead" episode
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Cheers Jimmy, obvious when you think about the shape of the trees how rare decent Pear boards will be. Another daft question have any cues been made from Apple ?
              You could get a nice hit from the wood used in Steve Jobe's coffin if that counts
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• So sussed it....
                Aerin from Aururo gets chucked off for killing Richard, comes back as Master blaster and gets banned for insulting everyone, then reincarnates as Big Splash...
                The lengths people will go to in order to spoil this forum.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Homer View Post
                  So sussed it....
                  Aerin from Aururo gets chucked off for killing Richard, comes back as Master blaster and gets banned for insulting everyone, then reincarnates as Big Splash...
                  Yep, I'm a descendant of John Bennet and I've made thousands of cues, so LISTEN UP and PAY ATTENTION.

Air-dried and bog maple are the two finest timbers a cue can be made from. Hundreds of overjoyed customers agree.

Apples and pears; that's for fruit and nut case collectors not snooker players. Apart from fruit trees, here's some other things to avoid:

£100 ferrules consisting of a spike; joints of all kinds, even the best invisible Aurora joints (); butt sockets (why ruin the feedback of a cue with a brass damper in the handle?); brass ferrules (always go for fibre/nylon = less throw), anyone asking you to wait years for a cue for huge money; 'Hand made in the UK' cue makers who won't confirm where their shafts are made or come from; cue makers who won't tell you where they buy boards from; American pool cues of every kind.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Homer View Post
                    So sussed it....
                    Keep up man you've missed at least three Crucifixion's since then image.jpeg
                    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                      Keep up man you've missed at least three Crucifixion's since then [ATTACH]18476[/ATTACH]
                      He's not the messiah, he's a naughty boy!

Calvary Hill is packed with crosses min. There's timber everywhere; some of it 2000 years old and all of it; air dried.

Comment

• Fancy trying to make a point by using a cue maker like aurora...

Big Lols...

Comment

• Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                          Yep, I'm a descendant of John Bennet and I've made thousands of cues, so LISTEN UP and PAY ATTENTION.

Air-dried and bog maple are the two finest timbers a cue can be made from. Hundreds of overjoyed customers agree.

Apples and pears; that's for fruit and nut case collectors not snooker players. Apart from fruit trees, here's some other things to avoid:

£100 ferrules consisting of a spike; joints of all kinds, even the best invisible Aurora joints (); butt sockets (why ruin the feedback of a cue with a brass damper in the handle?); brass ferrules (always go for fibre/nylon = less throw), anyone asking you to wait years for a cue for huge money; 'Hand made in the UK' cue makers who won't confirm where their shafts are made or come from; cue makers who won't tell you where they buy boards from; American pool cues of every kind.
                          If I was a cue maker I wouldn't advertise if I knew a wood yard where you could get great boards, what do you think would happen if they made it public?
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            If I was a cue maker I wouldn't advertise if I knew a wood yard where you could get great boards, what do you think would happen if they made it public?
                            They would have plenty of offers for a lift.......
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                              They would have plenty of offers for a lift.......
                              Half of em would need google and a sat nav.

Comment

Working...
                              X