Ronnie's "Murphy/Ding" tweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
    To be fair though Ronnie isn't the font of all knowledge it's just when he needs a poo he opens his mouth instead
    Best assessment of Ronnie I have seen for some time...

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
      Best assessment of Ronnie I have seen for some time...
      He'll let you get the balls out for a £100 a frame. Generous. Love the snooker side to him and his character attempts to 'write' books, sell coffee, etc, but he's all about making money and fluffing his ego. He's more Sports Direct how he goes about it than Saville Row. He says money doesn't mean anything but anyone who has come into contact with him or dealt with his mgt will know he's the greediest of all. A real chav. But he's fun and he can really play. The enigma that is Ron.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
        He says money doesn't mean anything but anyone who has come into contact with him or dealt with his mgt will know he's the greediest of all. A real chav. But he's fun and he can really play. The enigma that is Ron.
        I wonder if the money is just a means to an end - helps him fluff up his ego etc.? Either way, I wish the media, particularly the beeb, would stop indulging his idiocy - the year he said he was only back for the school fees, they played that clip in the Crucible and the crowd just laughed at him, but then he gets let off the hook with all this stuff and nobody ever asks him about it. The one I remember is the Northern IReland Trophy on TG4, where he played great, then tried to say he hadn't played well. The interviewer immediately said "Oh come on Ronnie, don't be silly." and he looked a bit sheepish - not sure anyone else has come close.

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
          I wonder if the money is just a means to an end - helps him fluff up his ego etc.? Either way, I wish the media, particularly the beeb, would stop indulging his idiocy - the year he said he was only back for the school fees, they played that clip in the Crucible and the crowd just laughed at him, but then he gets let off the hook with all this stuff and nobody ever asks him about it. The one I remember is the Northern IReland Trophy on TG4, where he played great, then tried to say he hadn't played well. The interviewer immediately said "Oh come on Ronnie, don't be silly." and he looked a bit sheepish - not sure anyone else has come close.
          Deciphering what he really means and believes is like trying to see Plato in a clown act at the circus. He is the biggest cockwomble in snooker. I've always defended him (given I consider he is the greatest) but it's getting tiresome I must say. Others wish him gone and whilst I'd like him to play a few seasons more, swerving tournaments (when he seems able to attend every ****ing Legends date and more private gigs besides) does seem to be pretty bad taste and maybe his tour card could be had by someone who loves the game? JESUS! I never thought I'd say that!

Comment

swerving tournaments (when he seems able to attend every ****ing Legends date and more private gigs besides) does seem to be pretty bad taste and maybe his tour card could be had by someone who loves the game? JESUS! I never thought I'd say that!
            I don't have a problem with him not attending tournaments provided he just says as much - signing up and then pulling out at the last minute is selfish and obnoxious. I don't play at all but there's surely a difference between a competitive tournament game and a knockabout exhibition, so fair enough if he wants to divide his time, manage his calendar etc. Just state your intention and shut up, don't spend weeks posting cryptic messages on social media going "I haven't decided..I probably won't play...I might do..."

That and stop trying to suggest "improvements" to the sport when you don't even turn up half the time "Oh yeah, more events should be like the Shootout, it's a great format" - you've never even played in the Shootout, Ron...

Comment

I don't have a problem with him not attending tournaments provided he just says as much - signing up and then pulling out at the last minute is selfish and obnoxious. I don't play at all but there's surely a difference between a competitive tournament game and a knockabout exhibition, so fair enough if he wants to divide his time, manage his calendar etc. Just state your intention and shut up, don't spend weeks posting cryptic messages on social media going "I haven't decided..I probably won't play...I might do..."

That and stop trying to suggest "improvements" to the sport when you don't even turn up half the time "Oh yeah, more events should be like the Shootout, it's a great format" - you've never even played in the Shootout, Ron...
              ^and he is the player who has asked for more people to be removed from the auditorium than anyone else, when they were doing - nothing - how the heck will he handle the rowdy drunks at ShootOut?!?!
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

He seems to be in a better place mentally than I have seen him in a long time. Maybe that is partly down to the events he decides to attend.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  ^and he is the player who has asked for more people to be removed from the auditorium than anyone else, when they were doing - nothing - how the heck will he handle the rowdy drunks at ShootOut?!?!
                  He doesn't go to Asian/Euro tournaments because he doesn't like flying apparently. But hey, he's doing a four-part Hustle Pool series in the US. Did he row there, Olympic style? Do you reckon the pay rates between the two earners are different - huh!? He's only doing it for the love of US pool. Yep.

It does appear that Ron is doing a 'Tescos' and using occasional snooker tournaments as a loss leader. 'Loss' being a relative term. On average the smaller rankers pay him less per day than gigs/Legends so he thinks **** it, I'll do the easy and earn more, less stress and I don't even have to win. In defence, maybe so many years as a pro is boring to **** and draining.
                  Last edited by Big Splash!; 29 August 2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

He doesn't go to Asian/Euro tournaments because he doesn't like flying apparently. But hey, he's doing a four-part Hustle Pool series in the US. Did he row there, Olympic style? Do you reckon the pay rates between the two earners are different - huh!? He's only doing it for the love of US pool. Yep.
                    He has committed to at least one Chinese tournament this year, to be fair to him. And he did say he'd been cured of his fear of flying by a therapist(I recall a photo of him with a toy plane)

Comment

He has committed to at least one Chinese tournament this year, to be fair to him. And he did say he'd been cured of his fear of flying by a therapist(I recall a photo of him with a toy plane)
                      He drives like an idiot but he's scared of planes. Only Ron!

Comment

I wish my snooker brain was as bad as Murphy's. The guy's won a world title and I wouldn't bet against him winning another one before his time is done.
                        He's pretty much a banker to make atleast the quarters of every event he enters.

Ronnie doesn't know the meaning of the word class, the bloke is an embarassment.
                        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Snooker at the top is all about egos. More so than most sports IMO. Don't know what it is about snooker players but they are the hardest to please.

Barely a tournament or match goes by where a player isn't moaning about something. When they aren't playing they are moaning about each other and having a dig at each other on twitter. Snooker used to be a gentlemens game and players used to have a bit of class. Now its just a bunch of over rated egotists who are all about the money and nothing else.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                            I wish my snooker brain was as bad as Murphy's. The guy's won a world title and I wouldn't bet against him winning another one before his time is done.
                            He's pretty much a banker to make atleast the quarters of every event he enters.
                            Well, Murphy has actually struggled a lot with consistency over the past three years. In the three seasons prior to this one Murphy played in 27 major events with matches of at least medium length, and only reached the quarter-finals 8 times in this period. For comparison, Neil Robertson reached 15 quarter-finals in 27 events, while Mark Selby reached 15 in only 24 events. :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                              For comparison, Neil Robertson reached 15 quarter-finals in 27 events, while Mark Selby reached 15 in only 24 events. :wink:
                              Yes, but none of them brought us the hilarious arrogance of walking out to the Superman theme...only to nearly lose in the Masters first round. Murphy will always have a special place in history for that
                              Last edited by gavpowell; 30 August 2016, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Personally I don't think there is another world title in Murphy, too inconsistent for me over a long format,at his best he's a beautiful player to watch, but he always seems to have unexplained mistakes in him. I don't know why but he's a player I just can't take to ,even though he plays exactly how I like the game to be played, not that I dislike him, more just not bothered about him.
                                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                                X