Struggling with match play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with match play

I'm practicing really well at the moment, holding my own and regularly beating a couple of decent players that I practice against. But once again when it comes to league matches I'm getting beaten by people that I would regard to be a lower standard than myself. I seem to be playing too negative and trying not to lose rather than to win. I know it's a psychological thing but I need help to get out of it! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Did you put my "1" up ?

It depends on how many matches you have played. It's always a learning curve. If you haven't played that many, then give yourself chance to get used to them. It can take a long time. Even the pros struggle to bring their practise game onto the match table. My practise form is quite high; my match form is terrible in comparison, and I even struggle in friendly games sometimes. It's gradually changing though, and if you stick at it, have a bit of patience, you'll get stronger bit by bit. I do know one thing though; playing 'not to lose' is the best way of losing against weaker opposition.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
      It depends on how many matches you have played. It's always a learning curve. If you haven't played that many, then give yourself chance to get used to them. It can take a long time. Even the pros struggle to bring their practise game onto the match table. My practise form is quite high; my match form is terrible in comparison, and I even struggle in friendly games sometimes. It's gradually changing though, and if you stick at it, have a bit of patience, you'll get stronger bit by bit. I do know one thing though; playing 'not to lose' is the best way of losing against weaker opposition.
      I play two games a month for the last four years, so I should be used to it by now! I think as I've got into higher leagues and people aren't such "walk overs" my problems started then.
      I too sometimes struggle in friendly games compared to my practice game but they are getting better, so hopefully as you say, my league form will improve as well with time.
      The big question is, how do you take your practice game to the match table???
      Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Interesting thread. I often get beaten up in practice by players who are worse than me. But practice isn't all about winning, I don't put every ounce of effort in to practice, I simply use it to keep the arm going and don't get too hung up on the result.

Now the match play that you're asking about, that's where it matters. Think about these points;
        -Do you find yourself feeling overly nervous and uncomfortable? Perhaps intimidated by your opponent?
        -Is your shot selection different in match play compared with your practice sessions?

I started playing in the league at 15 and can remember my first ever match, I played a good young player and drew 1 all. I can remember how nervous I was, literally sweated buckets and played horribly. I must have looked a nervous wreck. Performances and that comfortableness during matches comes with time and experience, you'll get there.

How long have you been playing league snooker??
        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Well, I don't have anywhere near as much match practise as yourself, so I think you must be right when you say it is a psychological issue. I haven't yet managed to reproduce my practise form either, but I have only been back for six months after a decade plus lay off. At 53, I am now starting to think maybe I will never recapture that previous form. I think the key to it has to be relaxation and taking the fear of losing away during a match. Perhaps you are thinking too much. Whenever I have talked with top sportsmen, not just snooker players, somewhat surprisingly, many have said they are not thinking about anything when they are performing at their best. I guess that what makes them who they are, and the truth is, most of us will never achieve that. Good luck with it though, because I know how frustrating it feels.

Comment

I would also say that winning one frame matches is an art in itself, and hardly ever done cleanly. A lot of league players win by playing ultra safe and messing up all the balls along the way. Even when they create an opening, it rarely leads to many points because they are not that good. Their safety play has been well developed over the years, but the rest of their game lags way behind. If you don't get any clear chances then it then inevitably comes down to a dogfight on the colours. That's usually the way a weaker player wins. I have to be honest and say that I don't enjoy playing league snooker for that reason. I do it to support my team and in the hope that it will toughen me up and improve my overall game.

Comment

I would also say that winning one frame matches is an art in itself, and hardly ever done cleanly. A lot of league players win by playing ultra safe and messing up all the balls along the way. Even when they create an opening, it rarely leads to many points because they are not that good. Their safety play has been well developed over the years, but the rest of their game lags way behind. If you don't get any clear chances then it then inevitably comes down to a dogfight on the colours. That's usually the way a weaker player wins. I have to be honest and say that I don't enjoy playing league snooker for that reason. I do it to support my team and in the hope that it will toughen me up and improve my overall game.
              I can definitely see your point

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. You are right ghost, I need to play to win, and not to "not lose"! One day I want to play my practice game in a match just to see how I get on but it is so hard because the will to win (or not lose) is so strong I go all defensive and don't play confidently.
                Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

thats league snooker to a tee, but sometimes thats all we have

Comment

Sorry, it's a singles league.
                    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Even if it is a single league, most of the points made still apply. Why not just go for it and trust your talent? At least that will provide you with some more information to work on, however it pans out.

Comment

Iv gone from taking the matches too serious & beating myself up inside to becoming too passive & nice! ( it's only a game. Doesn't matter if I lose) Im now losing alot more frames now than before. My coach says I need to develop a killer instinct to my game but how???? Can you relate to this op?

Comment

Even if it is a single league, most of the points made still apply. Why not just go for it and trust your talent? At least that will provide you with some more information to work on, however it pans out.
                          That's exactly what my friend said. I'm going to try it, if my head lets me!!
                          Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Crixus View Post
                            Iv gone from taking the matches too serious & beating myself up inside to becoming too passive & nice! ( it's only a game. Doesn't matter if I lose) Im now losing alot more frames now than before. My coach says I need to develop a killer instinct to my game but how???? Can you relate to this op?
                            I do beat myself up inside a lot but as I sad before I'm going to "try" and play like I do in practice and go for a lot more shots (without being reckless) and see what happens.
                            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Working...
                            X