Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badges too far up the butt (if you'll pardon the expression).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi toast
    Yep as soon as you mentioned the smaller badges I thought of the same barracuda brass small disc you posted
    To me they are too small.
    In the old days there were other small badges (Chick and Riley for example) who has these as well and they had them in differing places, high and low on the butt. Chick and Riley also had larger round badges as well.
    As you say, different stroke for different folk
    here is a photo of an example of TOO close to the butt end!

my avatar is the mini butt for my Dan Shelton pool cue, Dan is a graphic designer by trade so his eye for balance, detail, and "just what is right" is spot on
    I am not sure if anyone else put badges on extensions before Dan did these; but they are a beautiful pieces of work. I say they, as I also have one for my DS snooker cue
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...455#post646455
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...263#post672263
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Cheers, Dean.

That's a coincidence, sir. I, too, was a graphic designer before entering the snooker industry, something I have kept up as a hobby in my retirement.

Comment

Another unforgivable sin in my view, the least one can do is get the badge centred!

Comment

sometimes it is the camera angle that makes them look off centre
          sometimes they are just poorly fitted
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I don't know about badge position but there can be no possible excuse for Philips screws and even a posidrive, I feel quite sick! Lol
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Very true, Dean.

I think you might be right, sir, about the camera angle in that Peradon picture. Maybe I have maligned them unfairly. Here's another example, though, that looks out of kilter to me.

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                I don't know about badge position but there can be no possible excuse for Philips screws and even a posidrive, I feel quite sick! Lol
                I take it a hex, or even a torx head screw has the same effect too. :distress::distress::distress::distress:

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                  I take it a hex, or even a torx head screw has the same effect too. :distress::distress::distress::distress:
                  I'm Gipping at the mere thought!

Comment

I see it ok, but at a funny angle. For me, the edges of the flat are roughly where my red lines are drawn.

Comment

Yes, you're probably correct, sir. Poor choice of photographs from me.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        The worst is Jimmy White's cue, where the badge is about a foot up the butt due to many alterations over the years
                        What's odd about White's cue is usually to lengthen a cue they have to splice more wood to it, but for his cue its like they chopped a piece off the end or sanded it flat and just glued a piece of ebony to the end of it. It originally was a round butt cue, then he got a flat piece glued to the end.

Last edited by narl; 6 February 2016, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                          Mine too. Good to see 005 and 011 together ( sort off ) again.

The trevor white badges are perfect placement IMO

The older ones a few posts back are too close to the bottom for my taste

Comment

Round butts do tend to be slightly higher, my cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Round butts do tend to be slightly higher, my cue.

Love that style of badge with the resin fill leaving it flush.

Comment

Working...
                              X