No announcement yet.

New Andy Hunter cue-making video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just seen Andy's video, again, he surprised me on how he does something, shows what I know!

I guess the only question I would have is how the playability of the cue would change when the ebony is added as the balance point would change.

As the balance point would change dependent on the density of the would used to splice, is the balance point that important when doing it this way?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

What do the cue makers do that don't
      Have a table to test cue like Andy done ? Do they just take a stab in dark were it goes
      Ton Praram cue series 1 ash shaft Burwood and ebony splices with maple vaneres 58.9.5.29.4.18oz 18 BP

Comment

I've seen a few eurekas weighted this way,and as a few have said it can cause splices to lift,think andy does this way because of how far the weight needed to be up the shaft,it saves drilling far up the shaft from bottom with a 16_18 in long drill bit.

Comment

Nice vid, please pass on our thanks to Andy for taking the time and effort to make them

Comment

How much for the shoes? got plenty of his cues.

Comment

Ad like to get one of him
              Ton Praram cue series 1 ash shaft Burwood and ebony splices with maple vaneres 58.9.5.29.4.18oz 18 BP

Comment

in the vid Andy has weighed the shaft, added some lead weights while he tried a few shots, found the 'right' weight for that particular shaft then drilled the shaft and expoxy'd in the lead.

How does he know what weight the butt splicings will add?

Probably a daft question I know....
                #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                  in the vid Andy has weighed the shaft, added some lead weights while he tried a few shots, found the 'right' weight for that particular shaft then drilled the shaft and expoxy'd in the lead.

Just probably a rough idea going from experience.

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post

Probably because he knows a combination of :-

1 / that the amount of wood removed will roughly equal about the amount of wood added.

2 / the differences in weight of the same volume/size of wood, for ash and ebony for example.

3 / from experience, the position shift required for the drilled weights to give the same feel as the original wrapped weights.

I think. ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                      I've seen a few eurekas weighted this way,and as a few have said it can cause splices to lift,think andy does this way because of how far the weight needed to be up the shaft,it saves drilling far up the shaft from bottom with a 16_18 in long drill bit.
                      Hi Jim

Say you put two cues together using the two different methods and put the weights at the same point in the shaft. If both have the core of the cue drilled which they both seem to have (Andy's method being slightly thicker width ways), both will expand and contract at similar rates of the same amount of lead used so why would Andy's method split the cue and not the conventional way?

Just a thought......Is it because it is in direct contact with the splice and the other method would still sit under a bit of the ash under the splice?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

Just a thought......Is it because it is in direct contact with the splice and the other method would still sit under a bit of the ash under the splice?
                        Pretty sure its this, the weight drilled up through the bottom wouldn't be in contact with the ebony, it would be embedded in the ash.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                          Pretty sure its this, the weight drilled up through the bottom wouldn't be in contact with the ebony, it would be embedded in the ash.
                          I wonder if Andy does all his cues like this and whether he has had any issue with splices lifting?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            I wonder if Andy does all his cues like this and whether he has had any issue with splices lifting?
                            I believe he does it this way and a few others too.

I don't think he has noticed lifting splices being more of a problem this way than any other way. .

Comment

New Andy Hunter cue-making video

that's because its thirty odd years down the line

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                                that's because its thirty odd years down the line
                                what is thirty odd years down the line ?

Comment

Working...
                                X