Elbow drop / Thunb hitting cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbow drop / Thunb hitting cue

I’m a left handed right eye dominant player ( if that matters )

Every shot I drive, my thumb hits the chest on any pace, I am not sure if this is correct (this always results in a very slight elbow drop on all shots) but feels correct

However, when I want to do a power shot across the table I have to dodge my thumb from my chest last second to generate the power enough, which results in a very prominent elbow drop.

I am not saying this as if I’m doing something wrong, just want to clarify whether this is orthodox and whether I should continue how I am, however I am pretty certain I’m not suppose to be intentionally missing my chest on power shots as I was told to scoop under my chest so the elbow can drop more comfortably ( I can’t recreate this even after watching someone like Ronnie so much, it looks like he dodges his chest last second aswell but that might be just me trying to make myself feel better haha )

Just realised the awful phrasing of the title, it’s suppose to be thumb * and hitting chest not cue

Comment

It sounds to me like you're ahead of most players as the back of your thumb is hitting your chest on every shot, which is absolutely correct for most players. The thumb hitting the chest should not detract from the amound of power you're generating because the acceleration of the cue comes primarily from the length of the backswing. Increase the length of your backswing and you'll have bags of power,just be sure to keep the backswing slow and absolutely straight.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thankyou very much, I've been doing this through a mirror and can see that I am actually generating alot of power and the elbow no longer becomes visible at the back of my head. I think I was concerned because it looks so different when seeing players like Ronnie from a side-on view (looks like he's putting a lot more thump into it even though he is stopping at the chest).

Gonna just try not to think about it when im playing as that's half the battle, constantly makes me play bad

Comment

Working...
        X