English Open 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    I just saw the ROS foul for the first time.

Many on here will know I like every opportunity to bash ROS...

But, I don't think he knew he fouled... If you watch the replay in the interview with the slow mo, his eyes follow the object ball all the way to the pocket and then he immediately checks to see how the white has come off the cushion...

I genuinely don't think he knew he fouled.
    So, one of the, if not THE greatest players in the history of the game, a guy who's cue is practically an ectension of his own arm (whichever one he uses I bet he could juggle marbles with the tip) commits a clunker of a foul, moving the offended ball inches, not millimeters, a foul which is clearly audible to anyone who isn't totally deaf, (it's amazing how the comparitively subtler sound of a kick can be picked up by some, but not this clanger??) but he didn't see it, dodn't hear it, didn't feel it and even after three, THREE!, replays on a studio monitor, STILL couldn't' see it.

Yeah right, very plausible.

My theory. It was such a clanger, Ronnie didn't bother calling it because he knew the ref was going to, KNEW IT for sure, how could she possibly not? She didn't though, God knows how, but she missed it. So as the milliseconds ticked on, he sort of stumbled into not calling it, and before he knew it, the moment had passed, so he just carried on. And what the hell, he's only human, he didn't murder anyone, I don't want him tarred and feathered for it. However, his St. Peter moment in the studio was putrid.

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
      Bingham tweeted about his 140 first frame over on China (or was it Belgium, I forget), either way it all comes from that.

As a side note, watching snooker players tweet each other is my new favourite hobby...especially if Mark Williams is involved!
      Thanks. I think this was in China and noticed this. But thought there was more to it.

Yeah, it's kinda funny sometimes.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
        (it's amazing how the comparitively subtler sound of a kick can be picked up by some, but not this clanger??)
        Can anyone pick up the sound of a kick without a microphone?? I can't even see them, let alone hear them!

Comment

• And didn’t notice that many kicks in this Tournament compared to others.
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
            Can anyone pick up the sound of a kick without a microphone?? I can't even see them, let alone hear them!
            I believe that some of the pros can, you hear them say so a lot on commentary, and I've no reason to doubt them. Personally, I think I can sometimes, but I can't honestly say for sure. I'd imagine that if you were to practice/play as much as these guys, you'd pick up on it sooner or later. Having said that, you think I'd recognise the sound by now since I seem to get one on almost every every singly shot.

-
            The fast and the furious,
            The slow and labourious,
            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
              So, one of the, if not THE greatest players in the history of the game, a guy who's cue is practically an ectension of his own arm (whichever one he uses I bet he could juggle marbles with the tip) commits a clunker of a foul, moving the offended ball inches, not millimeters, a foul which is clearly audible to anyone who isn't totally deaf, (it's amazing how the comparitively subtler sound of a kick can be picked up by some, but not this clanger??) but he didn't see it, dodn't hear it, didn't feel it and even after three, THREE!, replays on a studio monitor, STILL couldn't' see it.

Yeah right, very plausible.

My theory. It was such a clanger, Ronnie didn't bother calling it because he knew the ref was going to, KNEW IT for sure, how could she possibly not? She didn't though, God knows how, but she missed it. So as the milliseconds ticked on, he sort of stumbled into not calling it, and before he knew it, the moment had passed, so he just carried on. And what the hell, he's only human, he didn't murder anyone, I don't want him tarred and feathered for it. However, his St. Peter moment in the studio was putrid.

-
              Excellent post. I completely agree.

Comment

• You can clearly hear the sound of a kick.. I am surprised you guys are doubtful...
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                  You can clearly hear the sound of a kick.. I am surprised you guys are doubtful...
                  There's always that dead dull clunk on a kick isn't there. Like the cue ball hit a rock instead of phenolic resin. I used to get a lot when I used masters chalk next to none since I've changed.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                    You can clearly hear the sound of a kick.. I am surprised you guys are doubtful...
                    Maybe you can, I can't unless it's pointed out to me, nor can I generally see them. I have never played, so maybe that's why, or maybe I'm just completely unobservant.

Comment

• A kick is audibly heavier. It has a more bassy sound. Because it gets slightly into the air, and also therefore lands of the tablebed. And specially in the English Open with their mic-setup underneath the frame of the table somewhere, it was quite easy to hear..

Comment

• So, one of the, if not THE greatest players in the history of the game, a guy who's cue is practically an ectension of his own arm (whichever one he uses I bet he could juggle marbles with the tip) commits a clunker of a foul, moving the offended ball inches, not millimeters, a foul which is clearly audible to anyone who isn't totally deaf, (it's amazing how the comparitively subtler sound of a kick can be picked up by some, but not this clanger??) but he didn't see it, dodn't hear it, didn't feel it and even after three, THREE!, replays on a studio monitor, STILL couldn't' see it.
                        Yeah, his reaction to the replays was super weird. I still think when you watch the replay, he never knew he'd did it whilst on the shot. His eyes don't move at all... That would take a lot of effort to not even take a quick glance at what you'd just hit.

I might be wrong, but that's what I think anyway.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                          Maybe you can, I can't unless it's pointed out to me, nor can I generally see them. I have never played, so maybe that's why, or maybe I'm just completely unobservant.
                          It's a clunk instead of a click, more noticeable on the old SC's as they made a cleaner contact with a more defined sharper click than the modern phenolic resin which is a softer material with more friction between the balls which is why they kick a lot more often and why the cloths are now virtually napless.

A proper kick is when a ball/s jump a bit on contact but a lesser bad contact can be made with a duller sound and no ball will jump but the contact made will be thicker, always thicker so no excuse if you miss it thin.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Yeah, his reaction to the replays was super weird. I still think when you watch the replay, he never knew he'd did it whilst on the shot. His eyes don't move at all... That would take a lot of effort to not even take a quick glance at what you'd just hit.

I might be wrong, but that's what I think anyway.
                            This post from tmax (#164) gives a very plausible possible reason for the reaction.

A
                            ssuming he did not see, hear or feel the foul at the time

I think he knew about it BEFORE the post match interview - he was either told or maybe even saw it on the monitors during the match - it was replayed many times

Had he walked into the studio, and immediately talked about it, apologised and said he didn't know at the time - We would believe him !!!

But having sat there, seen it 3 times and offered What?, What?, What? !

As always in life, it is the cover up that is worse than the offence.
                            Last edited by Cue crafty; 24 October 2018, 01:59 PM.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• I never read the whole thread.

I'd go along with #164 100%

Comment

I'd go along with #164 100%
                                ^+1
                                ROS was primed before going in to the studio. Let's hope ROS never does theatre
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X