Byroms favorite tips from coaches and players on web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    Another example of bad coaching IMO opinion because as there is no physical line he doesn't explain how he sees the line, what he looks at in order to find the line, what he's looking at when taking his stance to put his cue on the line and what he looks at when delivering the cue to keep the cue on the line.
    He does explain that the line is the line through the OB ball to the back of the pocket - furthest part away through the centre of the OB to the pocket - the line is imaginary .... a track the ball must travel down to make the pot - if you are a player that only sights at the front part of the OB ball and are not fully aware of the line first then you might not get it - you can still pot balls of course picking a point on there are player who hit on the white plain ball and players who hit all over the white - this is not wrong if it suits them - what they all have in common - the good ones is - that no matter where they hit on the white they are good at sending the OB down the line

ob or bob or ghost ball or fractional aiming of course are used by a few but this is not enough in itself - separate this from the line Barry is on about here and the game with just this is more guesswork -
    Personally I got what he means and agree with him and I think he is a very good coach and very knowledgeable.

There are many debates about sighting on here and I suppose we all have our ways - I have heard a few - I don't disagree with someone who sights the cue ball for example and there are players who hit plain ball more on the white and those that cue to the left or right of centre or all over on the white - if it works it works - sighting and aiming is a natural thing - this however is not about that exactly this is about visualising the shot fully and most really good players are more aware of the line of the shot here and how to make the ball travel down it to the pocket - it is something that only becomes better with experience..

if you start off in your pre shot routine and you are perhaps only looking at the pocket or glancing at it then only at specific point on the OB or trying to pick out a angle then your game is in trouble as you incidentally cannot see this small point on a thin cut or quarter ball can you? It also takes a lot of concentration and that in itself is not enough I feel.

Players I feel get more consistency if they instead play the line - find the line or become more aware of it first before doing this or perhaps just play the line like he says -

For me if you do this first - imagine the line - the angle you need to hit on the white pops up more naturally and I think this method helps players greatly as if you visualise this first you can get down and into the shot correctly more often and quicker, knowing its in before you hit it and am sure is the method a lot of the better players use or are perhaps more naturally aware of after potting those million balls.

I agree with him on this video entirely. Its what a lot of players do I think but not heard it explained before perhaps because its a natural concept for a lot of them.

What I give this particular coach credit for is the fact he explains perfectly what the line of the shot is - the line from the OB to the pocket - others think or talk about the line being the line from the white to the OB. Here is the confusion.
    Another example is when he explains what timing is - Other coaches don't talk about timing - many might feel its how you feather etc. He is correct when he says its how long you keep in contact with the cue ball - how you deliver it through the white - rather like a cricket player hitting a six and following through with the shot and hanging on to the shot.

Therefore in my humble opinion I disagree with you on this point v-max - I have not seen all his videos but I happen to think that he is a very good snooker coach indeed from what I have heard so far.
    Last edited by Byrom; 5 March 2017, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Look at what Ronnie says at 240 on the last vid ....

Comment

Sorry I don't know how to post links using my Chromebook but if you search for "Willie Thorne makes 147" on Youtube there's a clip of him talking you through it, learnt a lot from that guy! If someone can post the link for it (think it's in two parts) I'd be grateful.

Comment

Originally Posted by Looter View Post
          Sorry I don't know how to post links using my Chromebook but if you search for "Willie Thorne makes 147" on Youtube there's a clip of him talking you through it, learnt a lot from that guy! If someone can post the link for it (think it's in two parts) I'd be grateful.
          https://youtu.be/a3pTXsz8wyE
          https://youtu.be/bBc0iCmiBlw
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

C an this thread be stickied? I always thought there should be a good tips for beginners thread that's easy to find on here.

Comment

Owning the space gives you a positive vibe - and giving yourself enough room to asses the angle and line of the shot is good habit - attacking the shot and cutting out the hesitancy is a good habit - being hesitant and trying to be perfect can become a bad habit.

Anyway found this guy's video - he is pool coach but wondered what you guys think.
              [/VIDEO]

Comment

Comment

Nice one B. Good thread. Have you got any Del Hill videos? Another grand coach with a proven track record.

Comment

I'm going to give TD some credit here.
                    I had just started playing a year earlier and it was he who said around 6 years ago that a perfect stun shot will always come off the object ball at 90%.
                    This is very useful for picking out the right spot to hit when smashing the pack up or breaking a little cluster up.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      Owning the space gives you a positive vibe - and giving yourself enough room to asses the angle and line of the shot is good habit - attacking the shot and cutting out the hesitancy is a good habit - being hesitant and trying to be perfect can become a bad habit.

Anyway found this guy's video - he is pool coach but wondered what you guys think.
                      [/VIDEO]
                      If he's not careful he could fall in that middle bag
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                        I'm going to give TD some credit here.
                        I had just started playing a year earlier and it was he who said around 6 years ago that a perfect stun shot will always come off the object ball at 90%.
                        This is very useful for picking out the right spot to hit when smashing the pack up or breaking a little cluster up.
                        yes the 90 degree rule - (actually depends on hitting the ball centre ball stun) you can make it arch forward or back sunning higher or lower of course... this is used for positional purpose a good knowledge to have...actually I knew this from just playing but first heard it explained from another coach and online from your Dr Dave...years ago.

Comment

Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
                          Nice one B. Good thread. Have you got any Del Hill videos? Another grand coach with a proven track record.
                          yes I agree I will have a look

Last edited by Byrom; 21 August 2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X