Back after long layoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back after long layoff

Hi all and it’s good to be back potting balls again as hardly picked a cue up in 10yrs or more due to something concerned with my local club , it’s all sorted now so I’ve come out of retirement dusted the cobwebs of the Robin Cook cue and putting the practice in once again, I’m now 55 but made my first century in a practice match aged 30 and a few more since, I don’t think I will be as good as I used to be but if there’s anyone around my age on here that still play as well as they did in their younger days it would be nice to hear from them

Welcome to tsf , :snooker:
    Looking forward to read your posts .

Comment

Back after long layoff

nice cue from those days
      Glad you found your way back to the game
      Where abouts do you play? Maybe a member or two are local and can give you a game
      Last edited by DeanH; 11 November 2017, 11:22 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes bought the cue early 90s from Robin and still perfectly straight , I play around the Lincolnshire area , don’t know if I will go back to league play yet just enjoying playing again,

Comment

Thanks Ramon

Comment

Originally Posted by Bouch View Post
            Hi all and it’s good to be back potting balls again as hardly picked a cue up in 10yrs or more due to something concerned with my local club , it’s all sorted now so I’ve come out of retirement dusted the cobwebs of the Robin Cook cue and putting the practice in once again, I’m now 55 but made my first century in a practice match aged 30 and a few more since, I don’t think I will be as good as I used to be but if there’s anyone around my age on here that still play as well as they did in their younger days it would be nice to hear from them
            Hi Bouch
            I think I play better now than I used to

I'm 54 - Been back playing for last 8 years after joining smart London Club - Back in the early 80's I used to play in Fordingbridge and the Salisbury leagues - was an OK club player, Highest break then was 56

Since coming back with regular practice - I had an 87 a couple of years back, and now regularly knock in 30 & 40's each session. I play twice a week, plus 1 or 2 weekly practice sessions.

I think my action and control of the white is so much better than when I was younger

But the game is probably too difficult for youngsters these days, they are too used to instant gratification - Snooker requires time, effort and bags on ability !!!!

Comment

Yes I agree there with putting the time and effort in , natural ability is a big bonus , well done on making an 87 break , I’ve been back 3 weeks now and just knocked in a 58 and 48 same night so it’s coming back , like Jimmy White says u never loose it u just get a bit rusty lol ps hope one day you knock a century in ur more than capable if u can make a 87 let me know if u do

Comment

Welcome back to the game :snooker:
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Thx Neil it’s good to be back

Comment

I've just come back after a break of 6 mths and it felt like I was holding a tennis racquet! How you lay off for ten years and return to the game I can't fathom. Best of luck!
                    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Had a few disagreements with putting pool tables next to snooker tables and at the time I injured my shoulder which made it difficult to play and very painful, this went on for yrs and now it’s a lot better than it was, nice to be back though as nothing better when your in the zone lol best of luck with your return

Comment

Cheers. You too. I've had a couple of centuries since I've been back, and an 86 and a 118 in one best of 3 match, but while I'm scoring OK, my match game has deserted me!
                        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

There was an issue in club when some idiot put a pool table next to main table making lots of noise etc and shortly after I got a bad injury on shoulder which made it difficult to play and very uncomfortable which took yrs to sort out but now it’s a lot better thank god and like u bit rusty coming back but it’s getting better each week best of luck as well

Comment

Yes I don’t know whether to play in the league again as our league is played of handicap and sometimes you have to give the other player 50 or 60 points start which can take some catching up if u don’t get amongst the balls

Comment

Yeah hcap leagues can be hard work. I've only played a couple of seasons in one and tbh I wouldn't want to repeat the experience. I'm not playing league snooker this season and so far I haven't missed it, although it does give you a small taster of a match environment

Comment

Working...
                              X