Ball 'throw' during plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball 'throw' during plant

If I've asked this already I'm sorry - my memory isn't what it was.

During a plant, when the balls are touching or near touching, but are not quite in line with the pocket (for this example let's say they're set for the left jaw of the pocket) the first ball must be struck on the right (I believe) in order to 'squeeze' (sorry, got the thread title wrong) the second ball to the right and hopefully into the pocket.

Does anyone understand exactly what is happening here, in terms of ball physics?

Never mind. YT to the rescue. Apparently the correct term is 'offset plant', and it's all because of simple old friction.

Last edited by Billy; 17 November 2017, 02:57 AM.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

It's exactly opposite to how you described, Billy, hitting the 1st ball on the right pushes the other ball left and vice versa
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
      It's exactly opposite to how you described, Billy, hitting the 1st ball on the right pushes the other ball left and vice versa
      Yes, thanks. I wasn't sure. Hard to work out in your head, especially when you don't really know what's happening in a ball physics sense.

But yes, the video confirms your statement.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

That video makes a vague reference to friction, but doesn't really explain what's happening. I would guess that as the balls are touching, at the point of impact the 2 reds behave as a single object and head off in directions dictated by the white as well as their own relative positions. There's a thread here on the same thing: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...-Reverse-Plant

Comment

Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
          That video makes a vague reference to friction, but doesn't really explain what's happening. I would guess that as the balls are touching, at the point of impact the 2 reds behave as a single object and head off in directions dictated by the white as well as their own relative positions.
          Well to be fair, this is pretty much what he says.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
          X