Screwback..............................again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    yep, I saw a clip years ago (was he wearing that "striking" gold shirt? ) and ever since I now have a light grip when wanting screw back and get good results
    I'll give you message to this guy . bcuz if you listen to what he says, looks like he is wrong, after all and he can'nt play !!

I would love to see how Nic pulls off this shot with just 1 finger!!

Comment

for me the lose grip (not the "finger-tips" which Nic uses to exaggerate the concept not saying you should use finger-tips to play with ) gives me the shot I am after where before I never got what I was after - so for me the loose grip works - and also Stephen Lee does look to me to have a loose grip in this video
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        for me the lose grip (not the "finger-tips" which Nic uses to exaggerate the concept not saying you should use finger-tips to play with ) gives me the shot I am after where before I never got what I was after - so for me the loose grip works - and also Stephen Lee does look to me to have a loose grip in this video
        squeeze it (as he says ???? ). and he is not the only one.
        no one said you need to keep your grip tight. A firm grip is not a tight grip and not a loos grip either !!
        The reason why some players think they need a loose grip all the way , is because they have'nt learned yet how to hold the cue and do it in a consistent way.
        Some of the pro's afrer 20 years , still are not able to close thr grip as well as S Lee did , my friend.
        *Rome wasn't built in a day !!
        BUT , if that does work for you , than is defo the way to go ( in your game ). Agreed .

Comment

S Lee has the rolls royce action. Such a loss to the game.....

Dott,,, now he really does have a mega mega lose grip. But he is snatchy on final delivery, not smooth, thus not known for terrific fizz. I am sure he has a wrist flick now and again too..
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

yep, loose grip is only one component of many to get a good cue action
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
              Just been on my table again. Fell on many straight blacks and was screwing back very sweetly, even though I say so myself, haha. The one thing I spotted, about my technique , is that my grip becomes even more relaxed before I strike the CB. Potted a couple then remembered the thread and thought what exactly i was doing on the shots to be so consistent and it was the grip not tightening thus allowing full follow through.

I always remember O'sullivan stating on his show that on the more power shots he said he grips the butt tighter. That must be on youtube somewhere. It just goes against the grain, even coming from him. Probably just suits his own playing habits.
              Ronnie says that he tightens his grip on the cue from loose to firm through the stroke as that gives him the smooth acceleration needed. So start loose, then squeeze the cue through the stroke until the grip closes after the cue ball has been struck and not before.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                Ronnie says that he tightens his grip on the cue from loose to firm through the stroke as that gives him the smooth acceleration needed. So start loose, then squeeze the cue through the stroke until the grip closes after the cue ball has been struck and not before.
                Okay, so he has stated something that happens without thinking about it..On one of my post I said, on my final draw back my grip slackens off so slightly ( words to the effect ). So that completely clears that one up.

Nice one, vmax ..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Ronnie and Jimmy both say they hold the cue firmer when playing a screw shot.

Comment

An interesting session I've just had!

So, tried out the looser grip, but it wasn't very comfortable. Gone back to original "textbook" grip and played quite well with it...

Figured out an unusual "walk in" which I fear lots of coaches will frown at, even my own one, but going to have a word with him when I next see him.

All I will say about it, is it involves twisting into the shot instead of stepping into the shot. I've found with it, it puts you right on the point of the spot where you need to hit the ball.

You don't even have to look around at the spot on the ball where you need to hit. Quite interesting discovery!

Have to say, a couple of guys in the club playing next to me kept on saying he's potting some great balls over there - hahahah - even heard one say, he's good at screw back hahahaha!

Anyway - onwards and upwards...
                    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

A smaller tip & a 19+ oz cue also helps, re jimmy white,but unwanted side then rears its ugly head,so a trade off sometimes

Comment

Originally Posted by stemidd View Post
                        A smaller tip & a 19+ oz cue also helps, re jimmy white,but unwanted side then rears its ugly head,so a trade off sometimes
                        Not sure if he does use a smaller tip, seen an interview with him and Steve Davis in the mid 2000's and he said he had went from 9.5 to 10mm.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                          I'll give you message to this guy . bcuz if you listen to what he says, looks like he is wrong, after all and he can'nt play !!

I would love to see how Nic pulls off this shot with just 1 finger!!

The way he explains it seems to go against what most coaches say by having the cue at more of an angle, far as i recall coaches generally say to try and get the cue in as much of a flat line as possible. And as he says, a flat line does lead to scooping the ball quite a bit.
                          Last edited by narl; 19 November 2017, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                            The way he explains it seems to go against what most coaches say by having the cue at more of an angle, far as i recall coaches generally say to try and get the cue in as much of a flat line as possible. And as he says, a flat line does lead to scooping the ball quite a bit.
                            yeah , that's true . agree with that .

I guess , it's something personal in his technique. I cue the same way with scrwback shots .

However, You gonna have to consider that , Delivering the cue 100% flat is almost impossible here. (bcuz of the cushion).
                            What he does is :

Adress the cue at an angle
                            pull it back (back swing) as flat as possible
                            and deliver it at an small angle. keep the grip firm and squeeze it after struk.

In short, He load the CB up to genarate spin.
                            Of cours, this is a deep scrwback.

The main thing here is his timing and the way he configures his grip from backswing up to end of the delivery. ( Which is perfect ) .
                            Last edited by Ramon; 20 November 2017, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
                              I have been watching some video footage of Ronnie demonstrating the screwback shot and, he gets a lot of action on the cue ball. From what I can see he doesn't strike the cueball anywhere near as low as I try to. When I play a screwback shot, the tip of my cue is no more than a millimeter or so above the cloth and, despite this I still don't get much action on the cueball. Watching Ronnie, he appears to strike the cueball with at least a full tip width between the underside of his tip and the cloth. Although he mentioned in the video that the cue should be kept parallel, I got the impression that he was more likely pushing the cue through the ball at a downward angle, that is to say that although the initial contact of the tip with the cueball is highish, the cue tip is as good as touching the cloth at the end of the follow through.

Any thoughts anyone?
                              Hey

This is such a common question i get when i coach, especially in HK!

The answer i find is not one thing or another but a collection of things. The first for sure is the feeling an tightness of the grip... Many believe to "squeeze the cue" on devliery adn this will create more power and more reaction but this just isnt true in my opinion. The other and the one i believe is the most important is timing, as this helps create the forward motion and SPEED to deliver your cue through. Hope that helps. Any questions, email me at steve@147coach.com

Comment

Originally Posted by steveym147 View Post
                                Hey

This is such a common question i get when i coach, especially in HK!

The answer i find is not one thing or another but a collection of things. The first for sure is the feeling an tightness of the grip... Many believe to "squeeze the cue" on devliery adn this will create more power and more reaction but this just isnt true in my opinion. The other and the one i believe is the most important is timing, as this helps create the forward motion and SPEED to deliver your cue through. Hope that helps. Any questions, email me at steve@147coach.com
                                Just wanted to say , welkome to tsf . It's great to have an another coach here on board .

Could'nt agree more with your opinion .
                                But , if you look at that video ( S Lee ) , that's not the reason why he ,, squeezes the cue,, .
                                He does'nt squeeze the cue in order to create more power and more reaction !!

Comment

Working...
                                X