Which one is it ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one is it ??

Chris Henry : ((The biggest goal of a snooker player is to develop effective technique mechanies that coordinate with effective vision. Make strong habits of them So that they fire off, even when feeling nevrous )) !!!!!!! So , what do we have to do ?? F example, choose your setup Or alignment according to the rules. or do what is right for you and what you're comfortable with ??? Can you develop a technique where you do'nt feel comfortable with it and still make a strong habits of it??? Are this vision's always following the rules? What is your thoughts on this?

Well he does like a bit of a waffle our Mr Hendry - flowery language and all that - but he is extremely knowledgeable and is absolutely one of the worlds best coaches who has a strong reputation and acquired his knowledge after working with numerous top professional players and studying the mechanics of the game over many years - also not a bad player himself who has made a 147 or two - so I would respect his opinion myself actually.

Therefore I do think the general meaning I would say he wants to point out is a correct one - it is important to try and implement a strong technique that feels natural and holds up under pressure.

Many people develop bad habits - trying then to correct them and constantly give themselves too much to think about correcting things as they play - examples are varied here but poor alignment, bad cueing -lack of co-ordination on timing - grip issues - lack of pause causing jabby action or perhaps deceleration of the cue through the white - movement on the shot and more things like these - we all have something unusual in our game - point he is perhaps getting at is if you don't do things consistently in your pre-shot routine how then can you co-ordinate properly and consistently with your sighting of the shot on strike.

I think it perhaps wise from the off when learning snooker to see a coach and spend the early part working with them on the basics working specifically on technique - you can design your own pre-shot routine after this to (do the same things over and over) and try to add good habits over time so that you can develop a confidence and more positive and more sound habitual technique that you can then fall back on when under pressure in a match - doing this I would say can also help keep you focused in a match situation - therefore I think it good though rather short general advice.
    Last edited by Byrom; 16 July 2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      Chris Henry : ((The biggest goal of a snooker player is to develop effective technique mechanics that coordinate with effective vision. Make strong habits of them So that they fire off, even when feeling nervous )) !!!!!!!
      Nothing wrong with that statement at all and if they come naturally all is well and good, to a point.

It's something you can be made aware of so that it maybe can be made less habitual, but stopping it happening when nervous can't be done IMO as it's that very anxiety that makes one take ones eye off the target, and even perfect alignment won't save you as your hand will follow your eye.

It's all in the mind at the zenith of the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
        Well he does like a bit of a waffle our Mr Hendry - flowery language and all that - but he is extremely knowledgeable and is absolutely one of the worlds best coaches who has a strong reputation and acquired his knowledge after working with numerous top professional players and studying the mechanics of the game over many years - also not a bad player himself who has made a 147 or two - so I would respect his opinion myself actually.

Therefore I do think the general meaning I would say he wants to point out is a correct one - it is important to try and implement a strong technique that feels natural and holds up under pressure.

Many people develop bad habits - trying then to correct them and constantly give themselves too much to think about correcting things as they play - examples are varied here but poor alignment, bad cueing -lack of co-ordination on timing - grip issues - lack of pause causing jabby action or perhaps deceleration of the cue through the white - movement on the shot and more things like these - we all have something unusual in our game - point he is perhaps getting at is if you don't do things consistently in your pre-shot routine how then can you co-ordinate properly and consistently with your sighting of the shot on strike.

I think it perhaps wise from the off when learning snooker to see a coach and spend the early part working with them on the basics working specifically on technique - you can design your own pre-shot routine after this to (do the same things over and over) and try to add good habits over time so that you can develop a confidence and more positive and more sound habitual technique that you can then fall back on when under pressure in a match - doing this I would say can also help keep you focused in a match situation - therefore I think it good though rather short general advice.
        Thanks Byrom.
        As you said : it is important to try and implement a strong technique that feels natural and holds up under pressure.
        I am agree with you. But, the question is: is it possible????
        I have seen many players, 100 hours of practice to improve their setup or cue action or all other things .
        But during the mch, under pressure, they fall back to their bad habits !!!!!!
        Anyway,, I do agree with Vmax ( stopping it happening when nervous can't be done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
        There are players who can do that!!! yes !!!. But these people have a strong innate mentality. They are born with it !!!!!
        anyway, I think it's easier to say something like this than to do it in practice and real mach game !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
          Thanks Byrom.
          As you said : it is important to try and implement a strong technique that feels natural and holds up under pressure.
          I am agree with you. But, the question is: is it possible????
          I have seen many players, 100 hours of practice to improve their setup or cue action or all other things .
          But during the mch, under pressure, they fall back to their bad habits !!!!!!
          Anyway,, I do agree with Vmax ( stopping it happening when nervous can't be done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
          There are players who can do that!!! yes !!!. But these people have a strong innate mentality. They are born with it !!!!!
          anyway, I think it's easier to say something like this than to do it in practice and real mach game !!!
          A lot of snooker players think you have to be a natural to achieve great results. Yes, being naturally calm and disciplined helps, but to be honest, you can also develop a very strong game through working at it with purpose. Eventually, the hard work will pay off and what seemed mechanical becomes natural.

As you develop specific actions and mentality on the practice table, you slowly and consciously decide which of those disciplines become part of your regimen. You have to be EXTRA disciplined in practice, giving everything you have and committing fully as if you were in a high pressure match.
          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

I think the answer is like finding that Steve Davis nirvana - play like it means nothing when it really means everything.

The reason a lot of players seek out a motivational coach or person to help them is to work on the mental aspect of snooker is because they find some solace in it - and some coaches and people are more experienced than others in these areas of the game -
            Each player and person is different in the way we tick and you really need to understand what is happening inside the head of a person to be able to help them - I do think having confidence and the knowledge that you have cleared up before or made a load of big breaks in practice has to help a person inside although sometimes a player needs reminding but you are right in that this is hard to replicate good form in match conditions consistently and doubts, frustrations and bad habits can creep back in like thieves in the night.

I don't think this is a one fits all answer and it takes some working out for every person - we can all have a purple patch and the momentum can increase - you can get in a zone as longbomber might say.
            Being at one with your cue action and timing - sighting in a natural flow is a beautiful thing - it is the buzz that makes snooker addictive for me and many others. Keeping it up consistently is the frustrating bit.

Thing is like I say you never loose the disappointment aspect in snooker - your expectation rises with the skill level so this is why many pro's and good players still feel it - perhaps more so than us at times. I mean imagine being a pro and making a few 147s one week in practice after wining lots of stuff before and always making ton after ton in matches - now this week he enters a tournament cant make 30 and gets beat in round one 5- nil after travelling over a thousand miles to a venue at the other side of the world.

What must that feel like - You must be a little into self harm to put your mind through the mincer by playing snooker for a living
            Last edited by Byrom; 17 July 2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
              A lot of snooker players think you have to be a natural to achieve great results. Yes, being naturally calm and disciplined helps, but to be honest, you can also develop a very strong game through working at it with purpose. Eventually, the hard work will pay off and what seemed mechanical becomes natural.

As you develop specific actions and mentality on the practice table, you slowly and consciously decide which of those disciplines become part of your regimen. You have to be EXTRA disciplined in practice, giving everything you have and committing fully as if you were in a high pressure match.
              Nice comment !!!!
              Sometimes you have to accept what you are !!!!! . Only if you are able to accept your level and not forcing things, you're able to enjoy your game and improve your game. Does this mean we should not try and practice? NO !!!!!
              Does this mean we have to be realistic and do not believe in fantasy snooker?? yes !!!!

Comment

Working...
              X