Using the rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the rest

Has anyone any good ideas on using the rest...I find it hard to push the cue through in a straight line

Forearm horizontal to the table, very light grip with butt between the four fingers and the flat of the cue against the thumb (optional but that's my grip), address very close to the cue ball, short backswing and short follow through moving the cue only with the elbow joint, with eyes on the contact point of the object ball on the strike so that your hand follows your eye to the target.

As the action is sideways and reverse of the your usual action it's important to realise that the backswing and follow through can only keep the cue on the line of aim for a limited length of about six to eight inches, so it's vital that the cue ball is struck on this limited length. So don't address too far away or the cue will come off line before the strike, don't grip tight or the cue will go side to side instead of up and down as in your normal action.
    As you're more upright, and not rifle sighting as in your normal action, you have a peripheral view of the table and it's really easy to take your eye off the object ball.

Comment

Also ensure you control the rest itself by having your bridge hand on the handle of the rest and don't let the rest move
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for that will give it a go ...I think I been trying to follow through too far

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave_marsy View Post
          Thanks for that will give it a go ...I think I been trying to follow through too far
          that is very much a part of when using the rest, too much follow through and getting more reaction than planned, if you are not practised in using the rest - which many people never do practise
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

All this advice is good however I would emphasize two important points. The first is to stop the cue at the front pause position and then move the eyes to the object ball and lock them on. Now slow backswing and delivery with eyes locked on the object ball.

A lot of players will look at the cueball at the time of strike. Iguess they want to make sure they will actually hit the cueball or something but as long as the rest head remains still there's no danger of that. Don't be too ambitious with the rest and as has been said an abbreviated backswing and shorter follow-through.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Or you can use Akani Songsermsawad's technique...

Comment

Originally Posted by pedroja View Post
                Or you can use Akani Songsermsawad's technique...
                Good idea I will give it a go

Comment

Working...
                X