from top
    60 inch one piece ash 18 oz's 10mm aluminium ferrule
    58 inch one piece ash 9 ball cue 16.5 oz's with 12mm buffalo horn ferrule
    58 inch one piece beech 18 oz's with 9.4mm brass ferrule
    57 inch one piece beech 17 oz's with 9mm brass ferrule

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18791[/ATTACH]
    I missed this thread.

Looks great Vmax .

You mind me asking about the cue on the left . is that maple wood ? ( the shaft ).

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      I missed this thread.

Looks great Vmax .

You mind me asking about the cue on the left . is that maple wood ? ( the shaft ).
      That picture shows two ash and two beech cues Ramon. Both beech cues have the same butt design of Iroko, wenge and amargo amargo splices but one is 58 1/2 inches long and the other is 57". Both have 6 inch ipe tabaca mini butts and are for sale on ebay right now.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        Cracking set up Vmax.
        Agreed. Awesome! ❤️

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          That picture shows two ash and two beech cues Ramon. Both beech cues have the same butt design of Iroko, wenge and amargo amargo splices but one is 58 1/2 inches long and the other is 57". Both have 6 inch ipe tabaca mini butts and are for sale on ebay right now.
          Cheers for Info , and sorry for slow replay ( crazy weekend at work ).

hmmm , beech wood . looks great for sure but ,
          not exactly what I was looking for.

Any chance you stock some maple wood in the future ??
          I also keep an eye on J6's cue thread from time to time , and It's always ash.

you guys need take an step to the highest level possible (MAPLE WOOD). :snooker:

Comment

Cheers for Info , and sorry for slow replay ( crazy weekend at work ).

hmmm , beech wood . looks great for sure but ,
            not exactly what I was looking for.

Any chance you stock some maple wood in the future ??
            I also keep an eye on J6's cue thread from time to time , and It's always ash.

you guys need take an step to the highest level possible (MAPLE WOOD). :snooker:
            Some of us do maple and prefer it to ash any day myself.
            Have been playing with a beech cue at the mo, may well be worth giving it a try.
            You could be another convert
            For that one you've always wanted...
            https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
              Some of us do maple and prefer it to ash any day myself.
              Have been playing with a beech cue at the mo, may well be worth giving it a try.
              You could be another convert
              Already have !!

I found it like an similar wood to maple actually , just in a diff way. I just can'nt describe it tbh.
              I know two players using it though. and they love it.

As for maple , The trouble with maple is that a decent piece of maple is hard to come by ,imo.

Lets just say , you have 100 cues made from ash. 80 of them may turns in a good player .
              You have 100 cues made from maple ( not selected ) ? well, you'll be lucky if 30 of them turns in an good player.
              Last edited by Ramon; 17 July 2017, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Already have !!

I found it like an similar wood to maple actually , just in a diff way. I just can'nt describe it tbh.
                I know two players using it though. and they love it.

As for maple , The trouble with maple is that a decent piece of maple is hard to come by ,imo.

Lets just say , you have 100 cues made from ash. 80 of them may turns in a good player .
                You have 100 cues made from maple ( not selected ) ? well, you'll be lucky if 30 of them turns in an good player.
                Nice to see an open minded players as some will not even look at something different..

I do get what you mean as my last cue was maple and guess I've been lucky with the maple I've bought to make cues with...

I think that might be luck of the draw as most of the maple cues I've played with have been good players...
                Even rackers..

Clean maple can be a real pain to find and have a few to be getting on with, so will see how they come out.

Comment

[B]As for maple , The trouble with maple is that a decent piece of maple is hard to come by ,imo. .
                  The trouble with maple is that it's hard to spot a good piece in it's bare sawn state as there's no visible grain pattern to grade it by, and my local timber yard doesn't stock it, and it's too smooth and sticky to the bridge hand when finished imo.
                  I've found the beech cues to be a very good half way house between ash and maple as regards to smoothness of finish and has a flex characteristic that means you can have a slim tapered cue that isn't whippy and a regular tapered cue that plays very solid.

Comment

I'm lucky as the timber yard I've been going to since I was 16 do stock it and the others I plan on using.
                    I can go through it and pick what I want but like vmax said, it's hard to see how it is until you've started working on it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                      Nice to see an open minded players as some will not even look at something different..

I do get what you mean as my last cue was maple and guess I've been lucky with the maple I've bought to make cues with...

I think that might be luck of the draw as most of the maple cues I've played with have been good players...
                      Even rackers..

Clean maple can be a real pain to find and have a few to be getting on with, so will see how they come out.
                      Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      The trouble with maple is that it's hard to spot a good piece in it's bare sawn state as there's no visible grain pattern to grade it by, and my local timber yard doesn't stock it, and it's too smooth and sticky to the bridge hand when finished imo.
                      I've found the beech cues to be a very good half way house between ash and maple as regards to smoothness of finish and has a flex characteristic that means you can have a slim tapered cue that isn't whippy and a regular tapered cue that plays very solid.
                      lol , that was my point .
                      Why do you think Maple players have a real hard time to change cues an get a new one ??

Vmax ,

Would be fair to say that beech cues have more flex and abit harder comper to maple ?

Thanks for info btw ,

Comment

• Finished this one today in between trying to explain side on the forum

59 1/2 inch 3/4 split ash shaft with ipe tabaca butt, 29mm butt 9.3mm brass ferrule 19 inch balance point and 19.2 ounces.

As mentioned before the ipe tabaca was an absolute pig to plane so I had to sand it the last 1mm which took me four hours yesterday and I was totally knackered afterwards. The end result is really nice as it has some very subtle colours in it.
                        No veneers or decorative splices as I didn't want to tear the ipe tabaca with the plane again so left it as it is. The ipe tabaca is so dense that I've added no weight to get the 19.2 ounces.

forgive the pictures but the sun was in out in out and the first coat of danish has dried very quickly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/eYDW8N

Comment

• I like those stubby fingers on the shaft Vmax, always wanted a one piece spliced like that.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                            Finished this one today in between trying to explain side on the forum

59 1/2 inch 3/4 split ash shaft with ipe tabaca butt, 29mm butt 9.3mm brass ferrule 19 inch balance point and 19.2 ounces.

As mentioned before the ipe tabaca was an absolute pig to plane so I had to sand it the last 1mm which took me four hours yesterday and I was totally knackered afterwards. The end result is really nice as it has some very subtle colours in it.
                            No veneers or decorative splices as I didn't want to tear the ipe tabaca with the plane again so left it as it is. The ipe tabaca is so dense that I've added no weight to get the 19.2 ounces.

forgive the pictures but the sun was in out in out and the first coat of danish has dried very quickly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/eYDW8N
                            well , not agree with you on that part .

but , as for the cue , it looks great imo . excellent job .

Comment

• Knocked this one out last week, an old Powerglide one piece maple that had a black painted butt. I think the zebrano looks quite good but it's a shame that the paint protected the shaft wood from darkening as there's a distinct line where the colour changes.

57 inch one piece maple with zebrano butt with bog oak veneers, 9.4mm brass ferrule, 28.5mm diameter butt, balanced at 17.5 inches and only 14.8 ounces, ideal uk 8ball cue.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/saA8La

I'm now making a one piece beech to the same design. No pm's please as I don't have enough posts under my new name and won't be able to access them under my old one.
                              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/saA8La

I'm now making a one piece beech to the same design.
                                Finished the beech one yesterday and gave it a bash this afternoon, plays great as do the other two beech cues I made, Long BA tip as good as ever, everyone must try these

One piece beech shaft with zebrano butt with wenge veneers and an ekki splice on the mace flat
                                58 inches long, 16.8 ounces in weight, balanced at 17 & 1/2 inches, 9.7mm brass ferrule, 28mm diameter butt

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/yfi797

Think I need a better camera or a steadier hand.
                                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                                X