relationship between line of aim and dominant eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    There is only one way to fix this problem. First thing is start cueing into a mirror and check everything out and make adjustments to see what those adjustments are doing to you. Set the mirror up on the baulkline so it captures from the top of your elbow down to the bridge hand or better yet the tip of the cue.

Secondly make a decent video showing you from head-on. Borrow or rent a video camera with a tripod (an HD camera is best) and set it up over the top (black) pocket so it shows from the top of your elbow down to 6in in front of the cueball. Play 10 long blue stop shots and record then post that video on here. You seem to be really concerned about this so I think putting in a little effort on your part to let the coaches on here see exactly what you're doing as frankly I'm a little confused. I promise I will check out the video and you can also have a look by using Kinovea, which is freeware and will allow you to review the video frame-by-frame so you can really see where your going wrong.

Play each long blue as a separate shot so we can also see how you get into the address position.
    ok surely i will try, since i dont have a camera and i dont own a table to find a mirror etc. but yeah i will rent a camera and record myself
    tnx for being nice and helping players like me

Comment

Highbreak are you keeping your eyes on the object ball all the way down? If you keep looking at the line all the way down your eyes should place your head on your cue in the correct place for you. If you take your eyes off the line on the way down it's so easy to just shift a bit to the left or right.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        Highbreak are you keeping your eyes on the object ball all the way down? If you keep looking at the line all the way down your eyes should place your head on your cue in the correct place for you. If you take your eyes off the line on the way down it's so easy to just shift a bit to the left or right.
        yes, eyes are always online, checked my cue alignment and its perfect

it could be my head position to find out
        body position ( however if the cue alignment is fine then i dont know what could be wrong with body positioning )

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          This could be the problem: surely it is cue to chin\face? (Then body to cue.)

Comment

Except for very good players and pros most players don't deliver the cue straight. I had thought I was doing so as I was making good pots but I found when I was dead-in on the black and had to screw back to the side cushion (without side) I was putting unintentional left-hand side on the cueball and unfortunately for me I've been doing that for so long that I have compensated for it. Finding a way around that has been very difficult and I still haven't sorted it out.

It means I deliver the cue right-to-left and I've discovered a lot of players do this. It's especially upsetting as when I shoot the spots I can get 4 lengths of the table and come withing one ball's width to the brown spot however when I try long blues when I miss it's usually to the left of the pocket. Oddly enough when I use the looped bridge it's a lot better which points to a weakness in my bridge hand but that doesn't solve the problem.

I have to video myself and try and discover the root cause of this problem and it will be a lot of work. I mention this because a lot of players believe if they can shoot the spots successfully then they must be delivering the cue straight but that is not necessarily so. Try a straight black power screw off the spot and onto the side cushion and watch for any side. For right-handers it will most likely be left-hand unintentional side.
            Yes and the harder you hit the shot the more side you put on ....I'm ok on slow to medium shots ....but when I play a forcing shot something goes wrong and I put left hand side on ...I'm right handed

Comment

Relax the shoulder went striking the white ball,this will eliminate the unwanted side.

Comment

Nice one Gordon :

Comment

UPDATE: day 15

thank you for your support, everyone

yesterday i went and saw my coach and he did few tests and ended up saying spend more time while standing
                  i did today, and guess what. i figured out that SOMETIMES when i step in my left leg my head goes to the left of line of aim just before my bridge hand moves the table or maybe as soon as my bridge hand touches the table.
                  so today i did like 450 - 500 times step in and dropping down my nose on the line of aim, and i cued in the centre of the chin as normal. and i was way way online , however focusing on the nose and dropping down my nose on the line of aim while head is still feels so akward, but 95% of the time i am online now. however i just started today doing this, and i put my cue on line ( on the table ) and then while dropping my head down, i remove the cue from the line

any tips to fix this, now that i know what was my problem. should i be doing this for awhile?

and special tnx for supporting me , to : Terry, ted, itsnoteasy, catch, vmax, alabadi and blah

Comment

update: day 16

i guess i am doing this which cause me offline
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8waf...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post

Just tried to watch this video but can't get any sound. Anyone else had this problem and have they managed to sort it. Many thanks.

Comment

Sound was fine here....

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post

If you go back to the previous comments you will see some of us advised you the main possibility was not dropping the head straight down behind the shot. Now that you've seen Nic Barrow show it with Dartfish you believe us.

This string is a perfect example of a player who is not really aware of correct technique and describes the problem poorly and as a result all the other players on here who fancy themselves as coaches wind up giving either confusing or pure bad advice for this particular problem. I know somr people on here disagree with me BUT most problems with missing pots come down to not delivering the cue straight and with a proper video (like the Nic Barrow one) we all can correctly diagnose the problem and suggest a fix.

Normally the problem is simple but where the difficulty arises is the player cannot describe it accurately enough to have it diagnosed correctly. There is nothing better than one-to-one coaching with a decent coach or barring that then some good video I can analyse using Kinovea or my fauilty copy of Dartfish.

DO NOT OVER-COMPLICATE THINGS. And also, the basic method everyone uses to aim and sight is the ghost ball or BOB method and then they go on to make matters worse by experimenting with different sighting techniques and then as they improve they feel THIS IS THE WAY TO GO. Sorry, there is only one correct aiming and sighting point and for a beginner the coach has to explain and give a relatively simple example and the ghost ball (or even pointing their cue at the correct spot) is the way to go. I'm not being 'dogmatic' here but rather using common sense so that everyone can understand.

In the States they must have around 1,000 different aiming/sighting techniques. My suggestion would be to ignore every one of them as there is really only the basic aiming/sighting method.
                          Last edited by Terry Davidson; 5 August 2017, 12:57 PM.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

If you go back to the previous comments you will see some of us advised you the main possibility was not dropping the head straight down behind the shot. Now that you've seen Nic Barrow show it with Dartfish you believe us.

This string is a perfect example of a player who is not really aware of correct technique and describes the problem poorly and as a result all the other players on here who fancy themselves as coaches wind up giving either confusing or pure bad advice for this particular problem. I know somr people on here disagree with me BUT most problems with missing pots come down to not delivering the cue straight and with a proper video (like the Nic Barrow one) we all can correctly diagnose the problem and suggest a fix.

Normally the problem is simple but where the difficulty arises is the player cannot describe it accurately enough to have it diagnosed correctly. There is nothing better than one-to-one coaching with a decent coach or barring that then some good video I can analyse using Kinovea or my fauilty copy of Dartfish.

DO NOT OVER-COMPLICATE THINGS. And also, the basic method everyone uses to aim and sight is the ghost ball or BOB method and then they go on to make matters worse by experimenting with different sighting techniques and then as they improve they feel THIS IS THE WAY TO GO. Sorry, there is only one correct aiming and sighting point and for a beginner the coach has to explain and give a relatively simple example and the ghost ball (or even pointing their cue at the correct spot) is the way to go. I'm not being 'dogmatic' here but rather using common sense so that everyone can understand.

In the States they must have around 1,000 different aiming/sighting techniques. My suggestion would be to ignore every one of them as there is really only the basic aiming/sighting method.
                            I'm not one of them .

Agreed 100% with this point . !!

Comment

its not that i did not believe u , its bcaz i didnt think that i had that problem, and i had watched that video before too
                              i saw my coach and he said spend more time standing up, thats wat i did...... and thats when i realized that my head was moving

Comment

update: day 19
                                changed the way i was approaching.
                                used to be like, right leg on line and i think i was lining up with right eye, and as i was getting down, i was lining up with left eye, so i can say it might be y i was offline.

however now i touch my feet together and lineup and keep my head still and walk to the shot. and also now i spend more time, while my feets are touching i spend about 3-5 seconds visualizing the shot and angles , and i am not as offline as before at all. feels uncomfortable becaz i used to lineup with right leg online

i can play very good shots now , and i am not as offline as before . and yeah i feel that i cannot drop my head very straight down like nic said, caz we r not machine maybe
                                i have seen big improvement , but not so consistent with lining up at the moment

Comment

Working...
                                X