This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for the quick responses.

Sorry the angle is probably a bit out, but basically was trying to get across that I never finish high enough to have an angle on the reds to get back on the black.

I think the stun option sounds more safe for my level than having to hit a top spin with the correct pace, so will give that a go next time I practice.

Is there a specific routine to practice those stun shots around the black, or should I just keep playing this shot until I can consistently get position?

And I will experiment with putting a tiny bit of check side on. Should be on the practice table again tomorrow.

Wish I had just posted about this earlier tbh, been tearing my hair out for 3 practice sessions unable to play this shot when seems I was playing the wrong type of shot all along. -.- Waste of money/time...

Comment

• You don't want side on the stun shot, and you won't need it on the follow through either, I just wasn't sure of the angle, try them both and watch where the cue ball ends up, even if it's not right for that shot ,it's given you information for a future shot.
      Just experiment, if you are using stun and coming too wide with the cue ball hit the white half a tip higher and see the different reaction, make a little mark on the table with your chalk so you play the white from the same place, and just go up and down the centre line of the white and watch how the white works.
      Last edited by itsnoteasy; 2 July 2014, 12:50 AM.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• yep i agree, i play these shots a lot. as said just mark a spot and play different heights different power and learn what the cueball is doing.

from the diagram as Terry said its a soft follow through height just above center and you will be on the reds, if the angle is shallower you can either stun to the same side or stun run to be on the reds the other side.

as said experiment until you get it

Comment

• The best exercise I ever found on just this type of shot was to try all contact points on the cue ball in a practice scenario. Pot 10 hitting centre ball with low speed, another 10 with medium speed, and another 10 with more speed. Then change the contact point on the CB from centre to one tip above centre and repeat. Then again for one tip below centre, and then left, and right on the CB also. As you do each shot, monitor what happens to the cue ball (assuming you make the OB each time). From this you will learn whats possible with the shot you have and then can create your own memory bank of areas of the table you can reasonably play for.
          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
            The best exercise I ever found on just this type of shot was to try all contact points on the cue ball in a practice scenario. Pot 10 hitting centre ball with low speed, another 10 with medium speed, and another 10 with more speed. Then change the contact point on the CB from centre to one tip above centre and repeat. Then again for one tip below centre, and then left, and right on the CB also. As you do each shot, monitor what happens to the cue ball (assuming you make the OB each time). From this you will learn whats possible with the shot you have and then can create your own memory bank of areas of the table you can reasonably play for.
            Oh I like this.

Comment

• Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
              The best exercise I ever found on just this type of shot was to try all contact points on the cue ball in a practice scenario. Pot 10 hitting centre ball with low speed, another 10 with medium speed, and another 10 with more speed. Then change the contact point on the CB from centre to one tip above centre and repeat. Then again for one tip below centre, and then left, and right on the CB also. As you do each shot, monitor what happens to the cue ball (assuming you make the OB each time). From this you will learn whats possible with the shot you have and then can create your own memory bank of areas of the table you can reasonably play for.
              this is basically what I said without going into so much detail. one thing I like to do when I practice a shot is to start and play 1 shot extreme top spin and then another deep screw, this gives me the limits I can work with any shot.
              it helps me to know this so I don't try making a shot that is not possible

Comment

• Have you seen the Nic Barrow video Alabadi where he uses three bits of paper to work out a shot, one piece he puts where the cue ball will land if max follow through is used, another if max screw was used(as you have said to show the limits of the shot) and the last where he wants the cue ball to land, this gives you a good picture as to where on the cue ball you need to be striking, I found it quite interesting, it's easy enough to do with just your minds eye but a very nice concept.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Have you seen the Nic Barrow video Alabadi where he uses three bits of paper to work out a shot, one piece he puts where the cue ball will land if max follow through is used, another if max screw was used(as you have said to show the limits of the shot) and the last where he wants the cue ball to land, this gives you a good picture as to where on the cue ball you need to be striking, I found it quite interesting, it's easy enough to do with just your minds eye but a very nice concept.
                  yes I think Nic Barrow has some interesting videos, there are 2 in particular I like

one he is potting a ball into the centre pocket from the blue spot he sets it up for a 3/4 hit, then he pots the OB into 3 different parts of the pocket, left, right and center. although the pot was made each time the difference it made to the cueball was massive. almost 2 feet which shows its not just potting the ball its where it goes in can make a difference.

the second video he uses a book to cue over and plays I think a half ball pot into the yellow pocket, he emphasises that the OB must go in centre pocket for this to be a true reflection on the deflection of the cueball. he then plays several shots keeping the cue touching/brushing the top of the book. he turns a few pages each shot and the difference it makes to the cueball is astonishing, I mean there can't be more than a few mm in height of each shot but yet the outcome is so different.

just shows how accurate you need to be. a lot of food for thought.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                    this is basically what I said without going into so much detail. one thing I like to do when I practice a shot is to start and play 1 shot extreme top spin and then another deep screw, this gives me the limits I can work with any shot.
                    it helps me to know this so I don't try making a shot that is not possible
                    Exactly. That's one of the grand mistakes very commonly made (even by pros) - trying to make the cue ball go where it doesn't want to go.

Comment

• Hit the practice table earlier, played it about a tip's height above center as suggested and it worked.

Thank you everybody!

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                      Will do this the next time I practice. This shot is crucial so it is pointless trying to continue learning break building without it in my memory bank as you say. Thanks

Comment

By the way your playing with a blue ball that's far to big lol.
                        I like the challenge haha.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
                          Hit the practice table earlier, played it about a tip's height above center as suggested and it worked.

Thank you everybody!

Will do this the next time I practice. This shot is crucial so it is pointless trying to continue learning break building without it in my memory bank as you say. Thanks
                          Every shot on the table is pretty important, but potting the black from all reasonable angles and with all speeds is pretty much the bread and butter of this game. If you don't immediately know the CB path, the above exercise off the black will help a lot.

Comment

• I always struggle potting balls from around the pink spot into the centre bags, they always hit either the far knuckle and bounce off or catch the near one. I read somewhere that I need to aim differently for a slow roller because of the nap.

Comment

Have you seen the Nic Barrow video Alabadi where he uses three bits of paper to work out a shot, one piece he puts where the cue ball will land if max follow through is used, another if max screw was used(as you have said to show the limits of the shot) and the last where he wants the cue ball to land, this gives you a good picture as to where on the cue ball you need to be striking, I found it quite interesting, it's easy enough to do with just your minds eye but a very nice concept.
                              Link to this please. I can't seem to find it on youtube.

Thanks!
                              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• For me its the quarter ball cut back into an almost blind corner pocket. Should make it more times than not, but the percentages are reversed too often, with me hitting it too thick. Even worse, once it appears in a session it seems to stay there. I'm careful, get down, am sure I've got the right aim...but no, thick again. Gah!

Comment

Working...
                                X