Gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves

Can anyone tell me why some players (never seen a pro do it which says a lot) - choose to wear a single glove a bit like ag olfer does. What on earth benefit do they think they are getting?
    Smee

Gloves

Alan mcmanus was wearing one last time I saw. not sure why presume it gives a smoother glide to the cue, possibly more beneficial in humid environments???

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
      Can anyone tell me why some players (never seen a pro do it which says a lot) - choose to wear a single glove a bit like ag olfer does. What on earth benefit do they think they are getting?
      Smee
      In snooker both Ronnie and Selby have worn cuing gloves, its mostly in humid conditions where the humidity causes the cue to drag on your bridge, the glove allows the cue to glide smoothly over your bridge

Comment

I wear a glove, just to make the cue glide properly. I started wearing it because my cue is cheap and varnished, so got quite sticky at times. I've taken the varnish off the business end now and finished it with oil, but now it kind of creaks when I feather the cueball, so I'm still wearing the glove. The only problem with a cue glove is other players opinion of you, which really shouldn't be a problem, but they may be able to put your head a little out of whack with a few comments, which definitely can be a problem.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          I wear a glove, just to make the cue glide properly. I started wearing it because my cue is cheap and varnished, so got quite sticky at times. I've taken the varnish off the business end now and finished it with oil, but now it kind of creaks when I feather the cueball, so I'm still wearing the glove. The only problem with a cue glove is other players opinion of you, which really shouldn't be a problem, but they may be able to put your head a little out of whack with a few comments, which definitely can be a problem.
          You shouldn't let them put you off Jacko, how is Bubbles these days?
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
            You shouldn't let them put you off Jacko, how is Bubbles these days?
            Watch it with the banter.

banter.jpg

Comment

gloves

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17147[/ATTACH]
              I get the whole humidity thing, but that just isnt a problem in this country. Unless you have particularly sweaty or oily hands then surely the solution is to address the cue surface by sanding it etc.
              I dont have a problem with a competitor wearing gloves (but I dont think it helps them in this climate) - though I do see a lot of folk taking the p1$$ out of glove wearers

Comment

I only jest because I've had the same conversation on here in the past. I play in a working mens club, which is always too bloody hot, which suits those not playing! The glove gives you consistency which unless you wash your hands 3 times a frame you can never achieve! If anyone is lucky enough to play in clubs run by players for players, you will never understand playing in a club sweating your balls off and just wanting to go home and chill! And there will still be some idiot playing with there cardigan complaining it's too cold!
                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Exactly! Surely the only person who can decide if a glove is necessary is the person using it. My cue sometimes sticks in the bridge and makes slightly off putting noises when I feather, mainly when it changes direction i.e just as I'm about to deliver it through the shot, I want to be concentrating completely on the shot at that point, not thinking "I wish my bloody cue would shut up" it's easier for me to just wear a £2 glove than to spend ages messing about with the cue trying to get it right, it's also cheaper than a new cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post

I get the whole humidity thing, but that just isnt a problem in this country. Unless you have particularly sweaty or oily hands then surely the solution is to address the cue surface by sanding it etc.
                    I dont have a problem with a competitor wearing gloves (but I dont think it helps them in this climate) - though I do see a lot of folk taking the p1$$ out of glove wearers
                    Middle of summer in clubs and pubs with no air conditioning humidity can be a problem in England, personally I tend to just wash my hands regularly and wipe my cue down with a towel, admittedly I do have a glove but never use it

Comment

Some players have super sweaty hands and/or use cues with that horrible fiberglass coating.
                      Some players don't clean their cue frequently enough (wouldn't help with fiberglass crap though).
                      Some put it on only under super humid conditions.
                      Glove is used far more in American cue games though, probably due to loop bridges. I have seen it being used in snooker only on a few occasions.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                        Glove is used far more in American cue games though, probably due to loop bridges. I have seen it being used in snooker only on a few occasions.
                        Due to pool cues being almost exclusively maple, which is very smooth and tends to be more sticky on the skin.
                        I use a glove on my bridge hand although I use an ash cue; I bought it for use in the summer when it can be hot and humid but got so used to it that I now use it all the time.
                        Super smooth frictionless cueing isn't a bad thing, and those who take the p1ss should really give a go.

Comment

Another option is to use baby powder. Again, used in US pool. Super annoying, can turn tables into a mess. I'm ok with gloves, but powder is borderline torture for everyone. Thankfully, I have not yet run into snooker players who use that thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                            Another option is to use baby powder. Again, used in US pool. Super annoying, can turn tables into a mess. I'm ok with gloves, but powder is borderline torture for everyone. Thankfully, I have not yet run into snooker players who use that thing.
                            Powder on the table makes me see red!! It's even worse than upside down chalks on the table ledge.

I've seen American pool tables looking as if a tofu bomb had exploded over. Atrocious.
                            When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                              I only jest because I've had the same conversation on here in the past. I play in a working mens club, which is always too bloody hot, which suits those not playing! The glove gives you consistency which unless you wash your hands 3 times a frame you can never achieve! If anyone is lucky enough to play in clubs run by players for players, you will never understand playing in a club sweating your balls off and just wanting to go home and chill! And there will still be some idiot playing with there cardigan complaining it's too cold!
                              I play in a conservative club,not a conservative by the way, and its the same in there mostly old blokes who would have the heater turned on to sahara. it ruins playing

Comment

Working...
                              X