Hello from the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the USA

I used to play 8 ball as a kid growing up in the midwest. I purchased a used 9 foot Olhausen about year ago and was playing mostly 8 ball. Then somehow stumbled onto O'Sullivan and Snooker on youtube and have really gotten into watching. I find it much more interesting than pool. I don't like how much weighs on the break in pool and how a frame can be stolen so easily off a single miss. Snooker seems to have a much more interesting twists and turns. And the personalities to me are more interesting. Pool here doesn't have as much personality in the commentator box, and the players are generally more interesting.

I recently purchased a set of american-size Snooker balls and have been having fun with it. Space between the baulk colors is tight and going in off more common, but it's ok. I also find it hard to break off and swing around right side of the blue on this table.

Anyway, I've been meaning to join a forum. Gives me a chance to ask and chat about things I see in the Pro tournaments, instead of just wondering "Uh, what just happened there?". Ha ha.

welcome to TSF

there are quite a few compatriots of yours already

have you seen this website?
    http://www.findsnooker.com/index.html
    maybe there is a club near you with a full size table (12ft)

enjoy asking questions, reading the posts and enjoy the game
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Welcome to TSF dude, We have the exact same stories. I started from pool too here in Canada and was absolutely awe struck first time I saw Ronnie play... totally became obsessed with snooker since. Not to mention it did wonders for my pool game
      Last edited by OmaMiesta; 19 February 2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Well I'll be. There's a snooker table near me. We were heading over that way anyway so went in to check it out. One snooker table and it was occupied, but also some nice 9 foot pool tables. I tell yea, my cloth is really slow comparatively. Nice though, because I struggle getting the white around the table on mine.

Thanks!

Comment

you mean that listing still works?!? :wink:
          so glad you found a club with a table close to you and possible new playing partners

Comment

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
            Welcome to TSF dude, We have the exact same stories. I started from pool too here in Canada and was absolutely awe struck first time I saw Ronnie play... totally became obsessed with snooker since. Not to mention it did wonders for my pool game
            Yea, Ronnie is something special and it's not just Snooker. Him and I share some of that same renegade attitude. I was smiling ear-to-ear on that 146 break. Ha ha.

I was just watching (again) frame 6 vs Bingham, 2016 masters. Amazing frame. Watch the look on Ronnies face before he pots that first long red after Stuarts safety. That's scary and the shots that followed were scary.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum
              Where in USA are you based?
              I am based in Houston. We have quite a few tables here.

Comment

Thanks, and ... Pennsylvania, and just one table I know of.

Comment

Any idea about tables situation in Dallas? Heading out there shortly. I know there's a Hooters, and Beatles club in Deep Ellam. Visited both.
                  Highest break to date? 1

Comment

I sold one to someone in Arlington (near dallas) a while ago.
                    i think he kept it for personal use. but other than that, not aware of any

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      welcome to TSF
                      have you seen this website?
                      http://www.findsnooker.com/index.html
                      maybe there is a club near you with a full size table (12ft)
                      Finally got out there and the Snooker table was available. My immediate reaction was something like .. This table is even bigger than I expected and these balls are a lot smaller than I expected. At the end of the night, I wasn't totally demoralized , but it was pretty rough for me, especially from up in baulk. I was struggling to even hit the correct side of a red, to be honest. I made just about every blue though and some cuts into the side from the top of the table, etc. But overall, I'm not sure I can make this my primary game at my age.

I had one interesting fluke. I was at the top of the table shortly after break off and was cutting a red at about 45 degrees that was about 6 inches from the right rail - just trying to get the white back behind black on the top cushion. So I'm just watching the white and I hear the red drop in the green corner pocket.

Thanks for the tip DeanH

Comment

Hello from the USA

keep going and it will start kicking in
                        this is why we all still keep going - waiting for "that" day it all comes together.

Comment

Originally Posted by dsailer View Post
                          Finally got out there and the Snooker table was available. My immediate reaction was something like .. This table is even bigger than I expected and these balls are a lot smaller than I expected. At the end of the night, I wasn't totally demoralized , but it was pretty rough for me, especially from up in baulk. I was struggling to even hit the correct side of a red, to be honest. I made just about every blue though and some cuts into the side from the top of the table, etc. But overall, I'm not sure I can make this my primary game at my age.

I had one interesting fluke. I was at the top of the table shortly after break off and was cutting a red at about 45 degrees that was about 6 inches from the right rail - just trying to get the white back behind black on the top cushion. So I'm just watching the white and I hear the red drop in the green corner pocket.

Thanks for the tip DeanH
                          Keep at it. It takes a bit of time to get accustom to the size of the table and get used to the smaller balls. But after while it just feels normal and the pool tables seem tiny by comparison.

I find it is important for transitioning pool players to learn which shots they should and shouldn't be taking on. New players with a pool background tend to go for way too much. Learning when is the right time to try a long pot, shots to nothing and which shots should be totally disregarded will help the game seem less intimidating.

Comment

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
                            Keep at it. It takes a bit of time to get accustom to the size of the table and get used to the smaller balls. But after while it just feels normal and the pool tables seem tiny by comparison.

I find it is important for transitioning pool players to learn which shots they should and shouldn't be taking on. New players with a pool background tend to go for way too much. Learning when is the right time to try a long pot, shots to nothing and which shots should be totally disregarded will help the game seem less intimidating.
                            I think I have a leg up there. I've actually watched quite about of snooker, so I definitely get that. I'll probably mix it up a bit and see how it goes. I really just play for enjoyment, so I don't want to torture myself. Still I had fun trying it out.

Comment

Working...
                            X