Slow backswing, grip and snatching problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow backswing, grip and snatching problems

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as I am really frustrated with my game at present, and feel it is related to the three areas - 1) A very short jabby backswing with little follow through, 2) issues with my grip, particularly during matches, 3) snatching causing miscues and poor position.

Sorry for the overload but I do feel the 3 above are connected.

Basically I am 5ft 11.5 inches tall, of slim build and in decent health. I have a couple of cues, one is made in Thailand 17.8 oz and 58" (one piece), the other 18.5 (3/4), 58" which is an Emperor I ordered from China. After nearly 15 years off I returned to playing a couple of years ago having been a decent standard previously, i.e. a couple of centuries and 80s, 90s. As I'm a 'young' 49 now who has always loved the game, returning has been hard as I am no where near the player I was, and at times struggle to make 50s. I know this is to an extent down to physiology and sight ( I wear reading glasses), I feel that my cue action continually lets me down. In particular I seem to have returned with a very jabby action, with a very short backswing and tendency to miscue on some screw shots as a result, and there's a lot of movement. I have tried playing 8 inches away from the bridge, which can be compact but sometimes feels constricted, and have altered this at times to 10 inches. I just feel whatever the grip I seem to struggle to feel the shot like I used to.

A coach I have used recently told me this is partly down to something called 'vision anxiety' and suggested I try playing for half an hour where I set up and close my eyes, to feel and concentrate on a slow backswing on impact - however this has not really cured the problem.

Are there any tips or drills you can suggest that I might do that could cure this? I play with some very good players and they all tell me I am very fast on the backswing but can't seem to get rid of it! PLEASE HELP!!!

All I want to do is to be able to be nice and relaxed and play the shot I need to play positively with a loose grip and keep very still, but I seem to struggle to do this, particularly when others are watching. I do try and practise on my own a couple of times a week but this has not resolved or improved anything.

Really appreciate your thoughts and tips.

P.s. I know I am not likely to be anything special but just want to try to improve this key problem which lies at the heart of why I'm not progressing.

Originally Posted by Wifey01 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as I am really frustrated with my game at present, and feel it is related to the three areas - 1) A very short jabby backswing with little follow through, 2) issues with my grip, particularly during matches, 3) snatching causing miscues and poor position.

Sorry for the overload but I do feel the 3 above are connected.

Basically I am 5ft 11.5 inches tall, of slim build and in decent health. I have a couple of cues, one is made in Thailand 17.8 oz and 58" (one piece), the other 18.5 (3/4), 58" which is an Emperor I ordered from China. After nearly 15 years off I returned to playing a couple of years ago having been a decent standard previously, i.e. a couple of centuries and 80s, 90s. As I'm a 'young' 49 now who has always loved the game, returning has been hard as I am no where near the player I was, and at times struggle to make 50s. I know this is to an extent down to physiology and sight ( I wear reading glasses), I feel that my cue action continually lets me down. In particular I seem to have returned with a very jabby action, with a very short backswing and tendency to miscue on some screw shots as a result, and there's a lot of movement. I have tried playing 8 inches away from the bridge, which can be compact but sometimes feels constricted, and have altered this at times to 10 inches. I just feel whatever the grip I seem to struggle to feel the shot like I used to.

A coach I have used recently told me this is partly down to something called 'vision anxiety' and suggested I try playing for half an hour where I set up and close my eyes, to feel and concentrate on a slow backswing on impact - however this has not really cured the problem.

Are there any tips or drills you can suggest that I might do that could cure this? I play with some very good players and they all tell me I am very fast on the backswing but can't seem to get rid of it! PLEASE HELP!!!

All I want to do is to be able to be nice and relaxed and play the shot I need to play positively with a loose grip and keep very still, but I seem to struggle to do this, particularly when others are watching. I do try and practise on my own a couple of times a week but this has not resolved or improved anything.

Really appreciate your thoughts and tips.

P.s. I know I am not likely to be anything special but just want to try to improve this key problem which lies at the heart of why I'm not progressing.
    well, took a while to read this my friend.

A short backswing has an advantage of less error. ( less room for error ) .
    You could get more error with a long backswing.
    IMO, A long backswing requires more cueing accurately.
    However, with a long backswing you have more and a better control over your timing.

It's something personal,
    but imo, a long backswing give you more chance to get an efortless cueing. which is very important.
    The trouble is, you gonna have an stright backswing. I think this may be your problem???
    You gonna have to try Pull the cue back stright on the same line as you addressed the cue . ( and not too fast ).

As for your grip.
    well, i would say do something about it. bcuz your grip is the key to your cue power.
    Realy important.

You gonna have to learn how to hold the cue and closing your grip in a consistent way at the end of your delivery.
    Very difficult to give a opinion regarding this matter, imo. bcuz everyone has his own way to hold the cue.

May I ask which fingers you're using to close the grip and how you holding the cue??
    Do you have large hands ? Does the Butt diam suits your game ?

Other thing which could be your problem is, you're not staying beyond the shot.
    It's realy important to close the grip after striking the CB. AND NOT BEFORE.
    and stay beyond the shot .

Anyway , let us know abit more about your grip (probably a video from yourself would be the best ) .

Also keep a eye on this thread , In case other members or coaches have some better advise and tips for you .

( I'm no coach btw , just a poor player :snooker
    Last edited by Ramon; 1 September 2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

BTW,

please try to use one of your cues and stick with it .
      DO NOT swich from one cue to another , everyday .

Comment

Very good advice Ramon......I agree with you totally

Comment

Rear pause works for me.

That one second rear pause syncs, the grip, the sighting, tip placement on CB and muscle memory for pot / position. The rear pause also enhances a player to stroke through the CB.

Hours and hours of practice is needed though to properly embed it in to your technique. To many players twitch when paused..
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

Thanks Ramon, there is a lot of sense in what you say. Over the last couple of days I have tried to focus a lot on keeping as loose a grip as possible and ensuring I can feel the unfurling during the feathers and backswing. Also trying to keep down, still and hit through the ball. It's taking time to unlearn after a long time with bad habits but already the last couple of days showing some improvement. Really trying to get into the mindset of sticking to and believing in the way I'm playing the balls to improve confidence as well, as I've wasted too much time trying to think how others may think (mainly better players)...fatal! Really appreciate your feedback 👍

Comment

Originally Posted by Wifey01 View Post
              Thanks Ramon, there is a lot of sense in what you say. Over the last couple of days I have tried to focus a lot on keeping as loose a grip as possible and ensuring I can feel the unfurling during the feathers and backswing. Also trying to keep down, still and hit through the ball. It's taking time to unlearn after a long time with bad habits but already the last couple of days showing some improvement. Really trying to get into the mindset of sticking to and believing in the way I'm playing the balls to improve confidence as well, as I've wasted too much time trying to think how others may think (mainly better players)...fatal! Really appreciate your feedback ��

I know many players who can play very well regardless of few bad habits in their technique.
              It's your game my friend, if something works for you than stick with it (regardless of what others say).

Also consider that this game is not easy. take some time and effort especially if you have'nt played for a while.

Glad to hear that your confidence improves and all gets better .

And please try to enjoy the game ??
              After all, it's just a game.:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                Rear pause works for me.

That one second rear pause syncs, the grip, the sighting, tip placement on CB and muscle memory for pot / position. The rear pause also enhances a player to stroke through the CB.

Hours and hours of practice is needed though to properly embed it in to your technique. To many players twitch when paused..

True, but for most players it is much easier to twitch without using any pause. It is probably better to use even unnatural exaggerated rear pause than to have none at all I think.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                  Rear pause works for me.

I am trying to incorporate this in a long, slow action - but the pause is to make sure cue hand is good at back of back movement and get hed into where I want it after, and make sure I get pace\strength right.

The Lee Deep Screw Youtube, and ROS practising ones are what I tend to watch....

Comment

Working...
                  X