Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    practice with better players...
    And ask them where you are going wrong. Ask them what they are doing, and see if you can work out where they are going wrong....

There is no 1 cure fix all in Snooker as usual for humans and "doing" things, so you do need to find the solutions that help you.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
      Have been told that it takes about ten years and 10,000 hrs of doing this and you might be a player. I would think getting someone who could teach you 1 to 1 would be a better option. Cheers Roy of Snooker Secrets.
      who told you that?

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
        who told you that?
        it was, at the time, an accepted theory by Malcolm Gladwell that to become an expert or 'master' a particular activity - playing the violin i think was the study he used?- that it took approximately 10,000 hours of focused practice. 20 hours per week = roughly 10 years of practice.

Correction... Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book discussing the theory...
        Last edited by bolton-cueman; 28 February 2018, 04:17 PM.
        #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

• Malcolm Gladwell specifically said that the 10000 hours theory doesn't relate to sport. He said that genetics and natural talent means that some people will never master a sport, and some people will pick it up quickly. He also said that the theory isn't supposed to be taken literally. Regardless, I wish that this thread would die (appreciate that I just extended it 🤫🤫🤫

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
            Malcolm Gladwell specifically said that the 10000 hours theory doesn't relate to sport. He said that genetics and natural talent means that some people will never master a sport, and some people will pick it up quickly.
            100% correct, you can't teach someone who simply hasn't got it, those coaches who continue with such are simply making money from poor saps with no hope. Tell them they move on the shot, aren't in line, don't look at the correct ball as these are the only issues that need sorting and then leave them alone to practise.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• what was that Esther Rantzen spin off where bods got intensive training to do someting they had never done and then do it "professionally"? One was snooker.....

Comment

• The Big time: it also gave us Sheena Easton B)

Comment

• What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

In the Deep End?
                  Chris Searle partnered Steve Davis (?) in a doubles match. he made a break of 6
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Could be, I just got it from Big Time on wiki, and yes to partnering Davis.....

A bit harsh re in match with lights (was Allison Fisher involved) etc; how many did he get to in practice?

I started last Jan and got a 50 by June - but I had a 6x3 with quarter sized balls for a few years as a kid; and as a stude in 80's played a bit of Pool.

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                      what was that Esther Rantzen spin off where bods got intensive training to do someting they had never done and then do it "professionally"? One was snooker.....
                      In At The Deep End
                      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        In the Deep End?
                        Chris Searle partnered Steve Davis (?) in a doubles match. he made a break of 6
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7FXTCDuZs

Comment

• Originally Posted by cantpotforshĂ­te View Post
                          Dave Gilbert? Dave Gilbert senior? He can't be that old.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                            Originally Posted by cantpotforshĂ­te View Post
                            Dave Gilbert? Dave Gilbert senior? He can't be that old.
                            The current David Gilbert is officially known by WPBSA as David Brown Gilbert because when he came on the scene there had been a previous David Gilbert (the one mentioned on the vid) on tour and WPBSA asked if he had a middle name to have a difference, the family said he didn't so they picked the name Brown after his coach/sponser(?) at the time, hence you often see David B Gilbert
                            I don't know of any relation between the two

This was done to stop what happened to Mark Williams where his first prize cheque was sent to a previous player called Mark Williams; hence Williams is often referred to as Mark J Williams.
                            Luckily we don't have many John Smiths playing on the tour
                            Last edited by DeanH; 3 March 2018, 12:21 AM.
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              The current David Gilbert is officially known by WPBSA as David Brown Gilbert because when he came on the scene there had been a previous David Gilbert (the one mentioned on the vid) on tour and WPBSA asked if he had a middle name to have a difference, the family said he didn't so they picked the name Brown after his coach/sponser(?) at the time, hence you often see David B Gilbert
                              I don't know of any relation between the two

This was done to stop what happened to Mark Williams where his first prize cheque was sent to a previous player called Mark Williams; hence Williams is often referred to as Mark J Williams.
                              Luckily we don't have many John Smiths playing on the tour
                              I read about a junior called Ronnie Sullivan the other day, maybe his parents are hoping for a similar situation

Comment

• Hi Roy (of snooker secrets), I watched your you-tube No 24 about 7 months ago and posted up a couple of questions. Never got a reply so maybe you've given up on this method of coaching?
                                As you've been posting here recently I thought I'd try my luck and ask my questions here. Might get lucky lol.
                                The video concerns the stun shot. You advise to "stop on the white". This to me you end up jabbing. Other folk tell me you should always follow through on the white. Any comments?
                                I also asked what angle you had on the black. Looked just off straight to me but couldn't quite see as pocket wasn't in shot.
                                Look forward to your reply.

Comment

Working...
                                X