How do you pick your angles!!! - bad memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
    good man... I've played for years and not to a bad standard but I go through phases where I'll miss certain balls, I usually just play the same shot 50 times until I nail it. I had an issue with pinks to the right middle, just played the shot again and again in practice until it felt unmissable.
    Excellent recommendation and what I've had to do with the exact same shot on the pink. In addition to that I would recommend practicing the line-up but rather that replacing the balls and starting over just replace the one you missed either the pot or position and try it over again until you master it. I've always had problems with replacing the balls and starting over again because with a new player the practice he would get is setting up the balls, not making them.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Surely genuine 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 ball shots are extremely rare, perhaps one in a few thousand. I would have thought that most shots are plus or minus fractions of an inch or mm's either side of the 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 and, guessing this needs great skill.

In addition to points mentioned in earlier posts above, I am wondering what system fellow members use when lining up a shot. If you have decided that a particular shot is a 1/4 ball shot, do you picture in your mind that you want to cover a 1/4 of the object ball with the white or, do you aim the centre of the white about 1/2 an inch outside of the object ball?

Comment

I don't go into any shot thinking "it's a 3/4 or 1/2 ball shot", I just pick the part of the object ball the cue ball needs to hit to make it go in the pocket. I can't help but think everybody's making the game much harder than it needs to be by over complicating things.
        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

To simplify - I visualise the line the object ball must go down to be potted and try and send it there -

\\\\\\\\\\\therefore my focus is on this line rather than on the bob - how do you do that - practice repetition and I don't exactly know really how to explain -you play the shots so many times before you just know - muscle memory plays a part and having a solid pre shot routine to fall back on can help if things don't go to plan. This might not work for everyone if you are thinking about your routine though - Personally I have found my best game comes out when I think of absolutely nothing and hum a tune to myself in my head.

Things like position side or type of shot stun screw blah blah is already worked out because of your experience in playing the game and I already have an idea of half ball quarter ball 3 quarter snik or whatever roughly though I dont actually think about this now I am sure I used to once over. If in doubt it can help at distance to try the overlap method and when learning there can be some benefit in something called the parallel aiming system and 90 degree rule and stuff of this nature to help a player struggling to understand or work on potting angles I suppose.

Just do whatever you think might inspire practice or fix the angles in your mind that you need to hit to make the pot. Basically there are systems but none are any good on there own without dedication to practice... Eventually after doing your own head in with all this crap you realise things that work for you or don't - or sometimes they do and you think right I have got it I am never going to miss another ball then somehow the next night you play like Donald duck If you are asking this question then rest assured it is something everyone has gone though so don't worry - just repeat the exercises line ups 100 blacks the T the star the Christmas tree the sequential line up whatever routines you have - then you work on weakness and technique and well you just put the hours in.

We all start off learner drivers and are taught a basic technique to drive - hands at ten to two - you might crunch through the gears having to think about too much at once - eventually after a year or so you drive enough you get from A to B on your journey and just do it naturally and smoother though you might not notice the improvement at first because you are still thinking too much - you may also pick up habits but don't worry - they become part of the way you do things part of what makes you you on that table - there is no real specific one way - and you can learn to be a better driver through lessons and by applying that practical application or demonstration into your own way of driving to improve your skill set/technique, or you can just carry on scratching your bum not checking your mirrors or whatever bad habits you have when driving.

Consistency is key but basically you find your own way - and you will too. Good luck and remember though you might experience pleasure it does not come without some experience of pain.
          Last edited by Byrom; 30 August 2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

good man... I've played for years and not to a bad standard but I go through phases where I'll miss certain balls, I usually just play the same shot 50 times until I nail it. I had an issue with pinks to the right middle, just played the shot again and again in practice until it felt unmissable.
            Amateurs practise a shot until they can make it. Pros practise a shot until they cannot miss it.

Comment

well my coach put a liittle mat in front of the ball witch hat a dot in front of the ball, and had me just aim at the dot from all 1/4 1.2 ball so on. Was strange as i was just concentrating on the dot, as to explaining how you aim blunose not 100% has only 1 lesson on it and after practise today had given up but yeah 1/4 = a quarter of the white making contact with the object ball other 3/4 would be free, At least thats what I think so far

Comment

Jeez I thought it was just me that goes through that, sometimes I just can't pick a certain shot.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Anyone can spot the angle. Sending the CB there is what takes thousands of hours.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Jeez I thought it was just me that goes through that, sometimes I just can't pick a certain shot.
                    not just you mate! I'm trying to get sharp for the new season in a couple of weeks and it genuinely feels like i've never played before, my cue feels alien in my hands haha
                    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Are these the shots you miss thick?. I can remember myself hitting certain shots thick and missing the pot, normally these shots were just more than half table length.

The fact of the matter is, there are more pots that require potting that are different to 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4. Specially on my table anyway. The black corner pockets are tight, you have to respect them all the time and no twitching is allowed. if you do then its end of break.
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                        Are these the shots you miss thick?. I can remember myself hitting certain shots thick and missing the pot, normally these shots were just more than half table length.

The fact of the matter is, there are more pots that require potting that are different to 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4. Specially on my table anyway. The black corner pockets are tight, you have to respect them all the time and no twitching is allowed. if you do then its end of break.
                        It can vary Throtts, I will play a shot, hit where I want and can be a few inches out over a distance. Then set it back up and keep picking the wrong line until eventually I force myself to pick what looks like the wrong line, pot it, and surprise myself lol.
                        I will add I hate cueing well but missing due to picking the wrong line, it feels like something that I shouldn't be doing now.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I would say that you should practice making as many blacks of the spot as possible, do not get discouraged it will come, soon you will be making 10, 20 and 30 consecutive blacks. Just remember its not easy, you need to work at it. Cheers
                          I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

live interview with Stephen Hendry.....
                            click the link below to watch....

https://www.facebook.com/curt.dagene...3561718010381/

Comment

Checking the forum + put hours in, simple as that.

Comment

Some players have a good eye for angles (a natural angle recognition).
                                soon as they look at the shot, they just see it.

As for others, best way is taking the first impression of your brain. imo.
                                Once you standing behind the shot, your brain will tell you what angle is the right one.
                                Do'nt doubt. take it.
                                The first impression of your brain is usually the right one.

Thr are also many vids from diff coaches ( likes Nic Barrow )on youtube regarding this matter .
                                Last edited by Ramon; 1 September 2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X