Scoring Consistency - Century break players help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring Consistency - Century break players help please

I have a question that I may be able to answer for myself anyway but wondered if this was common or how the big scorers dealt with it.

Some day's I'll play a match and be knocking in regular breaks in the 70-90 odd mark and winning in one visit.
    Other day's it can be more like 30-40s and breaking down, some of this I feel has to do with tables and switching from slow club tables and fast club tables back and forth and takes time to adjust and it's just annoying.

However the other is potentially is it a concentration thing and nothing to do with the above?

I still wouldn't say I'm a fully accomplished break builder I've never hit a ton yet and I think that's the mark you consider yourself a pretty heavy scoring man so is it all just part of my process of consistency that I'm striving towards at my level?

Or should I be hitting in at least 50+ break daily if I'm capable of 90 odds then it's either tables or concentration letting me down?

Help please from the century break guys what did you find at my level?

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
    I have a question that I may be able to answer for myself anyway but wondered if this was common or how the big scorers dealt with it.

Some day's I'll play a match and be knocking in regular breaks in the 70-90 odd mark and winning in one visit.
    Other day's it can be more like 30-40s and breaking down, some of this I feel has to do with tables and switching from slow club tables and fast club tables back and forth and takes time to adjust and it's just annoying.

However the other is potentially is it a concentration thing and nothing to do with the above?

I still wouldn't say I'm a fully accomplished break builder I've never hit a ton yet and I think that's the mark you consider yourself a pretty heavy scoring man so is it all just part of my process of consistency that I'm striving towards at my level?

Or should I be hitting in at least 50+ break daily if I'm capable of 90 odds then it's either tables or concentration letting me down?

Help please from the century break guys what did you find at my level?
    I have been making 100s for the last 15 years (now 30) I remember prior to my 1st hundred I put so much emphasis on it that I missed 2 blacks off the spot for my first one. Once I made 1 thought I made 2 more the same week. In terms of level of break building and what you should be scoring when not playing so well. I normally always manage to make at least a 60 against a practice partner if we play 6 or more frames. My best bit of advice is when you get to 70 odd recognise the key shot. It might mean playing the missable pot but if it goes in it will pretty much make the 100 nailed on. If you feel nervous (I still do to this day on the century ball) just commit to the angle and deliver the cue positively. Good luck and you are closer than you think

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
      I have been making 100s for the last 15 years (now 30) I remember prior to my 1st hundred I put so much emphasis on it that I missed 2 blacks off the spot for my first one. Once I made 1 thought I made 2 more the same week. In terms of level of break building and what you should be scoring when not playing so well. I normally always manage to make at least a 60 against a practice partner if we play 6 or more frames. My best bit of advice is when you get to 70 odd recognise the key shot. It might mean playing the missable pot but if it goes in it will pretty much make the 100 nailed on. If you feel nervous (I still do to this day on the century ball) just commit to the angle and deliver the cue positively. Good luck and you are closer than you think
      I hope so mate thanks for your time and advice I don’t get nervous when am on a big break I love the feeling of it I just want to be a decent player and enjoy my snooker try to be a good scorer for the Scottish amateur comps we have some really good players in them and my goal is to try be in that kinda class and scoring tons is part of my process to feel I belong basically.

I’ll take on what you said and plug away at it and thanks again

Comment

Big breaks break down on the last few balls because positional play becomes critical as your options run out, focus more on fine CB control, getting the correct angles is paramount, Ronnie "never the wrong side of the blue" O'Sullivan is testament to that, once you get out of position it snowballs
        Playing on different tables will cause issues with positional consistency, grip slide slow fast etc, experience helps with knowing how a cloth will react. You may have to slow your game a little if you are out of the comfort zone to make sure you get where you want to be.

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
          I hope so mate thanks for your time and advice I don’t get nervous when am on a big break I love the feeling of it I just want to be a decent player and enjoy my snooker try to be a good scorer for the Scottish amateur comps we have some really good players in them and my goal is to try be in that kinda class and scoring tons is part of my process to feel I belong basically.

I’ll take on what you said and plug away at it and thanks again
          No worries mate, I do miss travelling to play in comps just don't have the time to put the hours in and do myself justice these days. In my experience the most talented scorers had very limited success in the comps and would often lose out to the seasoned players who cue solid and left them glued to the baulk cushion all match. I'd take 3 60's over a century all day. 100 only wins you 1 frame but I know what you are saying.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
            Big breaks break down on the last few balls because positional play becomes critical as your options run out, focus more on fine CB control, getting the correct angles is paramount, Ronnie "never the wrong side of the blue" O'Sullivan is testament to that, once you get out of position it snowballs
            Playing on different tables will cause issues with positional consistency, grip slide slow fast etc, experience helps with knowing how a cloth will react. You may have to slow your game a little if you are out of the comfort zone to make sure you get where you want to be.
            Sometimes I will break down for no real reason other than I take the pot for granted and thinking bout position or just butcher the cue action this can happen around 20-40 mark but if I go past that it’s as if I’m completely in the groove of cueing and my shot routine that there is no chance I’ll miss a ball sort same kinda feeling you get when your on the line up and your rhythm is just there so feels all natural except reds could be spread anywhere and I’ll hit the correct angle on them every time only other exception to that will then be on a difficult awkward last red down a rail where it requires a good shot obviously this is why the professional players and expert break builders play to move these balls whenever they get a chance to

Comment

It's hard to say really. I make reasonably regular centuries. I'll sometimes have a couple in a week. Sometimes none. I've had two in one session.

Some sessions I will have two or three 50+ breaks. Some sessions I might have eight or more 50+ breaks. I would always have at least one 50+ in a session.

That my input if that's what you're after. Just all depends. Form comes and goes all over the place.
              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                It's hard to say really. I make reasonably regular centuries. I'll sometimes have a couple in a week. Sometimes none. I've had two in one session.

Some sessions I will have two or three 50+ breaks. Some sessions I might have eight or more 50+ breaks. I would always have at least one 50+ in a session.

That my input if that's what you're after. Just all depends. Form comes and goes all over the place.
                Cheers mate yeah that makes sense I think am maybe knocking on the door of that not quite your level yet but hopefully not too far away from my first ton and more regular frame winning breaks I can do them inconsistently some days will be a few 40-50s other days it will be a couple of 70s and 80s plus all the 40-50s aswell I think I just need to concentrate harder when I get a scoring chance to make best of every one of them

Comment

these are problems i can only dream of!

Comment

I practice potting blacks & blues with the CB slamming into the pack a lot.
                    Once you get them reds open it’s a relatively easy game.

Comment

My approach is quite effective for me. I pretty much dismiss the colour. I pay most attention to the reds when break building. In other words...I'm playing a red for a red(s). The colour is merely the ball inbetween. If you emphasise more on the choices of reds, you get much better options from the colours. If this makes sense.
                      Also I myself have associated varied playing conditions as an effect on my performance, but I now no longer believe this. As my scoring ability is usually determined by my current confidence in my technique at that given time. As I tend to be more mindful of position if I'm happy with my potting etc. So therefore score very heavily as a result. Other times I'm not quite happy with my technique and so pay far too much attention to the pots and subsequently positional play will suffer.
                      I say this because I played at my Works social club after a 12 hour day shift with a rack cue that was nasty. The table was not clean and the balls were old club types. I still went on to attempt another century. Sadly missing the brown with the rest on 78! So I guess conditions aren't as harmful as I once thought. No longer an excuse for me.
                      Last edited by inevermissblue; 13 January 2018, 12:31 PM.
                      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                      https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Like the sound of this approach and will try to remain conscious of it in my next practice session along with 'playing into an area' as opposed to becoming obsessed with pin point position.

This is illustrated quite well in one of Nic Barrow's videos where he uses the white piece of paper as an approximate landing spot for position. There are several times when even he misses his intended position by some way and has to revert to plan B.

Comment

In my experience the most talented scorers had very limited success in the comps and would often lose out to the seasoned players who cue solid and left them glued to the baulk cushion all match. I'd take 3 60's over a century all day. 100 only wins you 1 frame but I know what you are saying.
                          This is me all day... I've always been able to make big breaks for fun but it's not often as important as having a solid approach to winning and playing the correct shot at the correct time.

It sounds silly but the best advice I can give is to just stay at the table. Play the shot that allows you to stay at the table, the break is not really important.

If you stay at the table long enough and often enough you will score big breaks.

Comment

Working...
                          X