Hitting everything thick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting everything thick

I heard from someone that when you start missing everything thick it's a sign you are lacking confidence, or steering. Happens to me all the time, I start playing quite well (by my standards) then I hit a couple of far jaws and it all goes pear shaped. How do you stop the rot?

Aim thinner

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
      I heard from someone that when you start missing everything thick it's a sign you are lacking confidence, or steering. Happens to me all the time, I start playing quite well (by my standards) then I hit a couple of far jaws and it all goes pear shaped. How do you stop the rot?
      Hi Jonny,

Usually if i'm decelerating on the shot I tend to hit pots thick. I usually combat this by doing a little bit of solo, even ten minutes of just playing the shot you have trouble with repetitively until it's a doddle.
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
        Hi Jonny,

Usually if i'm decelerating on the shot I tend to hit pots thick. I usually combat this by doing a little bit of solo, even ten minutes of just playing the shot you have trouble with repetitively until it's a doddle.
        Cheers Tom, deceleration would make sense as I've been concentrating on keeping my action slow to avoid any jabbing :/ back to the drawing board, or practice table I suppose

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          Cheers Tom, deceleration would make sense as I've been concentrating on keeping my action slow to avoid any jabbing :/ back to the drawing board, or practice table I suppose
          Good luck Jonny, drop me a message anytime if you like buddy.
          There's a fine line between smooth and slow, takes a while to suss it out doesn't it!

Comment

Hi Jonny,

Decelerating on shots will lead to hitting shots thin not thick

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
              Decelerating on shots will lead to hitting shots thin not thick
              not true Travis.

Comment

not true Travis.
                So which is it
                Post No 7 btw.
                http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...5-Decelerating

Comment

hahahahhaha Travis you clever bugger!
                  I don't think there's a set rule for deceleration, sometimes I miss thin, sometimes I miss thick and I cue very straight. It depends on the shot and also which side of the table i'm playing on. It's not as simple to say if you decelerate you'll hit it thick/thin.

Comment

I don't think there's a set rule for deceleration, sometimes I miss thin, sometimes I miss thick and I cue very straight. It depends on the shot and also which side of the table i'm playing on. It's not as simple to say if you decelerate you'll hit it thick/thin.
                    Like a professional Angler, he baited the waters. Put a worm on the hook and sat patiently on the riverbank watching the float....

Lol, that was a good thread rekindled though!
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Sorry Tom I disagree.

If your aim is correct and you decelerate on the shot it will always go on the thin side without fail.

If you’re allowing for deceration on the shot that when the game becomes really fun especially when using side, creating angles that are simply not there, but it’s not for the faint hearted lol
                      Last edited by travisbickle; 18 January 2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                        Like a professional Angler, he baited the waters. Put a worm on the hook and sat patiently on the riverbank watching the float....

Lol, that was a good thread rekindled though!

Lol Crafty

Comment

I had a similar problem but in reverse was hitting everything too thin! When went to see a coach Brian Cox one of the reasons was I was not keeping head still on shot as was too eager to see where the ball was going and it was steering the cue slightly off. Once I knuckled down to keeping head still on long pots, they were either going in as sweet as a nut or very close to going in and hitting the other jaws!
                          Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

When using side you aim slightly thicker to allow for deflection and swerve of the cue ball, so if you address centre cue ball and decelerate, the cue will come off line as the hand closes too soon and apply side which means you'll miss thin, see Luca yesterday on that easy red into the middle.

Hitting too thick is generally a product of poor alignment, bad stance, not seeing the contact point before getting down and standing in the wrong place, and less generally but common, a bad contact that isn't an obvious kick, as this happens a lot with these phenolic resin balls and most are unaware of it.
                            Have you ever played a screw or side spin shot and nothing happens at all with the cue ball, neither ball jumps on contact but it sounds wrong and all cue ball spin is negated and the OB goes straight ? yeah bad contact.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I don't really think there is a specific side that you would miss on for deceleration other than it's probably largely personal. I think you will probably find that people decelerate in their own way, either through tension in their arm or gripping at the cue, snatching the cue back after contact etc. I would agree with vmax though that it's probably worth looking at your set up if you are constantly missing thick. I've certainly found that if I'm missing thick it's possibly because my body is in the way of my cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X