Anyone know the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the answer?

We all know what a difficult game snooker is to play don't we!

And so for the maths guru's amongst you..........................

I have been wondering about the margin for error when potting. The question is asked for a bit of fun and from an interest point of view.

Starting with a dead straight pot, how far from striking the centre of the object ball would result in missing the pot? I know that the speed/power of the shot would make a difference because at a slow speed the ball could go in off the knuckle, whereas hit hard it would more likely judder in the jaws and stay out. Lets assume for these purposes that we play each shot as dead weight, could you afford to be 5mm out, or would it be more or less than this? Again, I expect that someone will mention the size of the pockets so lets assume average club pockets, it will also no doubt be mentioned that the margin for error would decrease the further the object ball is from the pocket. I expect the answer will probably include the word 'exponentially' eh!

I would imagine that the margin for error when you get down to a quarter-ball shot or less would be extremely small. When you think about the game of snooker, it really does challenge those of us at the bottom of the ladder, take for instance a quarter ball shot with nine or ten feet between the cue ball and the object ball, you are not aiming the centre of the cue ball at anything other than a blank area well outside the edge of the object ball, you have really got nothing to aim the centre of the cue ball at once the shot is anything less than half ball. It all comes down to guesswork and memory.........................................doe sn't it

Don't forget, I'm a wrinkley grey haired old codger with nothing to do other than eat, sleep and play snooker and come onto this forum a dozen times a day. Oh no!, I've got to go outside to dig some old roots up so that I can move my shed, no peace eh:biggrin-new:

Have a lovely day fellow members.

you mention an example of distance, and I agree that distance from pocket and distance between balls also be a factor; the greater the distance the less margin for error
    i.e. very close to the pocket, a discrepancy of 1deg or 1mm would not miss but half way up the table would miss?
    I am no maths-guru
    interested in further replies
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
      I would imagine that the margin for error when you get down to a quarter-ball shot or less would be extremely small. When you think about the game of snooker, it really does challenge those of us at the bottom of the ladder, take for instance a quarter ball shot with nine or ten feet between the cue ball and the object ball, you are not aiming the centre of the cue ball at anything other than a blank area well outside the edge of the object ball, you have really got nothing to aim the centre of the cue ball at once the shot is anything less than half ball. It all comes down to guesswork and memory.........................................doe sn't it
      Try aiming the whole of the cue ball at the contact point on the object ball, play as if the tip of the cue is the width of the cue ball and focus on the overlap the two balls make when they contact each other.

Vesica_piscis_circles.svg.png

You'll find it much easier than trying to focus on a point outside of the target because what you're doing then is overiding your natural hand/eye co-ordination. Your brain knows what the target is because it knows that your playing snooker and planting one ball onto another to send the second ball in a certain direction, so it won't aim the cue ball at anything else unless you overide it by looking elsewhere.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

The answer here is there is no answer I am afraid, i know it sort of spoils the game but there are too many variables.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

with or against the nap?

Comment

Working...
          X