Is a thin shaft better for aiming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a thin shaft better for aiming?

I was playing yesterday with a friend and lent him a spare cue which I just use to practise re-tipping. The shaft on that cue is really thin compared to mine, I played a few shots with it and found it so much easier to aim, especially on difficult thin shots. I've been playing well with my normal cue, in fact I had my first century with it last month, but playing with my spare cue seemed to take a lot of the guesswork out of aiming, so now I'm in a quandary about which cue to use! Does anyone think a thinner shaft is better for aiming or is it just my imagination?

It all depends because usually the thickness of the shaft sets the flex in the shaft. A very thin shaft would be a very whippy cue
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Looter View Post
      I was playing yesterday with a friend and lent him a spare cue which I just use to practise re-tipping. The shaft on that cue is really thin compared to mine, I played a few shots with it and found it so much easier to aim, especially on difficult thin shots. I've been playing well with my normal cue, in fact I had my first century with it last month, but playing with my spare cue seemed to take a lot of the guesswork out of aiming, so now I'm in a quandary about which cue to use! Does anyone think a thinner shaft is better for aiming or is it just my imagination?
      I haven't got a clue Looter, but many congrats on the century, well done!
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        I haven't got a clue Looter, but many congrats on the century, well done!
        Thanks, at 40 years of age it was long overdue!!!

Comment

Terry is right . A very thin shaft Could be a very whippy cue indeed .

My brother plays with an ADR cue. The cue has a thin shaft. ( especially at the end of the shaft, the last 12" )
          Amount of response in that cue is just unreal.
          And he can get on with it very well.
          I've tried it , and honestly, that cue would'nt suit my game.

At the end , it's a Matter of personal preference. imo.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            It all depends because usually the thickness of the shaft sets the flex in the shaft. A very thin shaft would be a very whippy cue
            Terry a few months ago someone on here said they had a thin strip of masking tape or similar at the top of the shaft to aid aiming and I'm sure you commented, don't suppose you know what section or thread it's in?

Comment

This is really personal preference, among all the cues I have bought & used, MW's cue has the thinnest shaft, I have 2 MW cues, Black Legend & a Macassar Legend, both cues have the same thickness of shaft but is really thinner if compare to others.

But not really whippy if the shaft is stiff enough, the Macassar Legend has a stiff shaft thus not whippy & the Black Legend is slightly whippy cause medium stiff shaft.
              Earlier my playing cue was a Jason Owen, slightly thicker shaft but after get to use on the thinner shaft MW cues.... I can't play at all with the JO now, end up JO sold.

I've ordered a Stamford S1 cue & a JPU, not sure how's the thickness of their shafts.
              Last edited by kadobau; 10 August 2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Terry a few months ago someone on here said they had a thin strip of masking tape or similar at the top of the shaft to aid aiming and I'm sure you commented, don't suppose you know what section or thread it's in?
                Don't remember that at all and it doesn't sound like something I would recommend because I disagree with it. I do agree with placing something on the butt of the cue to aid a beginner to get his grip hand in the right spot and also a pencil mark between 10"12" from the tip to aid on placing the cue on the bridge but not masking tape on the ferrule or whatever.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

One more thing, when you say you think you aim better with a thin shaft is it really because you're making more pots and not actually aiming better? It might be that your technique is better suited to a shaft which has more flex in it.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

My Mrs said a thin shafts OK for aiming thankfully!
                    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      One more thing, when you say you think you aim better with a thin shaft is it really because you're making more pots and not actually aiming better? It might be that your technique is better suited to a shaft which has more flex in it.
                      No it just feels like I can judge the line of the shot better, as if the cue is helping me aim.

Comment

Working...
                      X