Maple Or Ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Or Ash

Hi Guys,What Do You Prefer Maple Or Ash And Why? Personally I Have Only Played With Ash But Thinking To Buy A Maple Cue.Thoughts Guys?
    Thanks All!

Good morning,

This has already been discussed many times, you may wanna check out the old threads as well as keep an eye on this one ( for others posts ).

Both are good enough to play with. I swiched from ash to maple few years ago.
    Maple has generally more density comperd to ash. (assuming it's a decent piece of maple ).
    More solid hit , imo.

At the end , you gonna have to try. Otherwise you never know.

Comment

maple has less distractions but you still need to look at the grain, stay away from rock maple

Comment

Cheers Ramon & Golferson123

Comment

It's A Hunt & O'Byrne Maple 3/4 How Do I Know If It Is Rock Maple Or Normal.Or Only By Asking The Seller?

Comment

So what's wrong with rock maple ??

Comment

Are Hunt &OByrne Maple Cues In Rock Maple Or Normal? To Me I Didn't Know The Deference.

Comment

I have a few good machine spliced maple cues available if you wanted a cheap try

Send me pm if interested

Comment

Hard Maple ,Rock Maple , Sugar Maple is all the same timber , comes from Acer Saccharum , the tree Maple syrup comes from. It is a valuable timber resource and is mainly used in the production of American Pool cue shafts , bowling alleys and pins , NBA floors , baseball bats etc . The terms " hard " ( Acer Saccharum & Acer Nigrum only ) and " soft " Maple apply to several different species of trees and the terms are only used to differentiate between the species. Good ring density and straight grain and if possible " old growth " sourced Maple is considered to be the best for Maple shafts on cues . You would have to ask the more knowledgeable cue makers and forum members on this forum or other forums e.g. American Billiards / Pool forums , to ascertain if there is a difference between playing characteristics of Hard & Soft Maple .

Comment

Have always preferred maple myself as I use to find ash distracting...
                    Plus maple don't catch the hairs on my chin, if I've let it grow a little..
                    For that one you've always wanted...
                    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Thanks Guys Well Explained!

Comment

Working...
                      X