Screwing Back : I'm ending up with no back spin when I hit the object ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I think you misread - HMBS and Pottr say that "the lack of deceleration" is important
    i probably have -lack of deceleration to me suggests you should decelerate. That is not correct to do this when striking through the white

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      i probably have -lack of deceleration to me suggests you should decelerate. That is not correct to do this when striking through the white

"lack of deceleration" to me means maintaining velocity (zero rate of change) and/or increase of velocity (positive rate of change of velocity = acceleration)
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I want those on here who say accelerating through the cueball is not important to try a deep screw shot and then stopping the cue 1" after the initial contact with the cueball and see how much screw and accuracy they get.
        True, a person wouldn't be able to do it, but a machine with a pneumatic piston could and the end result would be a deep screw shot. It's the timing that's very important also, Igor ends up putting his tip through the lightshade, but at the moment of impact the contact is very low.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

"lack of deceleration" to me means maintaining velocity (zero rate of change) and/or increase of velocity (positive rate of change of velocity = acceleration)
          they should say that then...or something less wordy....you sound like a trekky ..

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            they should say that then...or something less wordy....you sound like a trekky ..

love it - my secret is out - we prefer "trekker" :biggrin:
            Last edited by DeanH; 12 August 2017, 02:23 PM.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I think you (and Ramon) misread - HMBS and Pottr say that "the lack of deceleration" is important
              I meant lack if it. It was a typing error.
              Did'nt pay attention thr too well . Sorry about that .
              Lack of deceleration !!!!!!!

Comment

Of course it's deceleration we are trying to stop, but all the things said are just a way of describing how to do it, so cue through the ball, start slow and build up speed etc etc. If you said to someone " what you must do is not decelerate on the shot" and they say"oh ok, how do I do that?" Then what would you say? Probably make sure you cue through the ball.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                  True, a person wouldn't be able to do it, but a machine with a pneumatic piston could and the end result would be a deep screw shot. It's the timing that's very important also, Igor ends up putting his tip through the lightshade, but at the moment of impact the contact is very low.
                  This is yet another 'much ado about nothing' string. If a person can't do it then what's the point of this discussion since I'm pretty sure no robots read this and no members have a secret robot in their pants (although I suspect some do think that)
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Of course it's deceleration we are trying to stop, but all the things said are just a way of describing how to do it, so cue through the ball, start slow and build up speed etc etc. If you said to someone " what you must do is not decelerate on the shot" and they say"oh ok, how do I do that?" Then what would you say? Probably make sure you cue through the ball.
                    My coaching saying is 'try and his the object ball with the tip of the cue'. This seems to help a lot of players.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

My coaching saying is 'try and his the object ball with the tip of the cue'. This seems to help a lot of players.
                      For me I agree that's a better way of saying it , I like that one Terry. I thought about cue into the chest as another one but that can encourage a harsh thump, where as your saying sounds more of a stroke but positive, it's a fine line between being positive and over hitting. Getting that nice tempo can be a game changer , well it is in my game anyway.

Comment

This is yet another 'much ado about nothing' string. If a person can't do it then what's the point of this discussion since I'm pretty sure no robots read this and no members have a secret robot in their pants (although I suspect some do think that)
                        Say what now about robots puts Nics cue action trainer in the shade , I'm gonna get me one of these.
                        https://youtu.be/cbo3hoiNf8g

Comment

Say what now about robots puts Nics cue action trainer in the shade , I'm gonna get me one of these.
                          I always wanted to make a cue that you just need to push a button on and it would shoot out in a straight line like that. Sure you couldn't use it in a match, fair enough, but if you think you have problems with alignment or aiming it would tell you if you do or not.

Comment

I also agree with the Tomwalker post. When I see people struggle to screw back (especially if they are stunning the shot), the most common thing i see is a lack of follow through. Staying down in the shot is a must for most shots, so that tends not to be the route of the problem, it's normally the follow through.

Comment

I want one, but I sense it might struggle with soft shots

Until then: watch and copy :

That said: I'm still trying to work out why his elbow doesn't rise back up.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                                I want one, but I sense it might struggle with soft shots

Until then: watch and copy :

That said: I'm still trying to work out why his elbow doesn't rise back up.
                                Never noticed that about him before but you're right. As he uses the old Joe Davis (and Tony Knowles) follow-through of about a yard or so I think that helps him to accelerate through and beyond the cueball which is the way to go. However, it still makes me sick to see players able to do this much screw because I haven't done that in 30 years. Must be age related.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X