X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
    y would u discourage people
    i am trying to be pro , so hopefully one day i will be
    i was told years ago @ this forum to quit snooker and play golf, but kept going and today i am happy with the result, didnt come easy, did hundreds of hours of practice

im not pro, but i can be
    im not hopeless, i will give it my best . the rest comes all to destiny

tnx for negative comments though.... in practice room, when all these negative comments comes to my mind, i practice harder and harder
    in a way, it gives me more motivation
    Hey wasn't meant to be a negative comment, so you are saying every frame you play you are knocking in those big breaks ?

Comment

Csmith said at #23

To the main topic of the thread, I like to practice cueing and timing by shooting balls directly into the pocket without an object ball as though I were a beginner. After doing that for a short while, I'll reintroduce the object ball and focus on maintaining relaxed, straight cueing. I find it easier to focus on my cue action without the distraction of potting and cue ball control. When I reintroduce the cue ball I'm usually amazed by the amount of pace I can generate with such little effort, especially if I've been playing with a lot of tension in my arm recently.

I really like this tip and I'm going to give it a go on Tuesday Thank you Mr Csmith, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
        If you are trying to calculate an average that means anything, then no it doesn't count. I remember trying to calculate the average amount of 'scoring chances' it took for a pro to win a game. I only counted breaks over 10. For the record, the average was roughly 2.8 or something like that. Top players averaged 1.7 chances per frame. If I counted all the '1s' and '3s'. It would be closer to an average of 8 innings, which is misrepresentative of what happens on the table.

To the main topic of the thread, I like to practice cueing and timing by shooting balls directly into the pocket without an object ball as though I were a beginner. After doing that for a short while, I'll reintroduce the object ball and focus on maintaining relaxed, straight cueing. I find it easier to focus on my cue action without the distraction of potting and cue ball control. When I reintroduce the cue ball I'm usually amazed by the amount of pace I can generate with such little effort, especially if I've been playing with a lot of tension in my arm recently.
        I really like this idea of leaving out the object ball Mr Csmith, thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a go when I next play on Tuesday.
        Last edited by bluenose1940; 12 August 2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
          well, if you count it that way. then mine would be 40 to 50 average break
          i thought if u get regular 50, then your average would be 50
          From your threads started I thought you were a novice player so was surprised how high you thought your average break was, unless they are breaks during solo practice and not in a game. On the thread about bridge hand you say you hardly make a 50 break.

As other members have said it's basically impossible to see what's going wrong with your cue action with the videos you have given. For these sort of issues I'd visit a coach as he can watch you play the shot many times and work it out with you. So much easier to work out problems on the table than on a keyboard.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
            I really like this idea of leaving out the object ball Mr Csmith, thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a go when I next play on Tuesday.
            No problem and good luck! I go back to it every so often when I find that I'm hitting at the ball and not through it.

Comment

From the video it is obvious that OP can indeed pot straight in balls, even with some power and screw. Not sure what the fuss is all about as just about anybody will put unintentional side with loads of power.

Average breaks whatever that means or even average number of frames you need to achieve a break of X points doesn't mean a lot.
              For me, playing well means you're not missing colours of their spots, not messing up the table and you're keeping your opponent in trouble with some good tactical play. For example, if by the end of frame, 4 or more colours end up at their regular predetermined spots, usually I would consider that a very well played frame for a club level.

A lot depends on the opponent, or the difference in skill between two players. Better player simply won't allow you to score breaks that you think or know you're capable off.
              If I play very high level amateur, let alone a pro, it would be very hard for me to score more than 16 or 24 despite the fact that I have had many 50s before. Might even score 0 points. I have to admit, very few of those 50s have been against players that are better than me. Likewise, if I play guys who have their highest break in actual frame of around 30 or so, chances of them getting a 16 break are slim to none.

Comment

I think we share slightly the same issue with unintentional right hand spin and if so, it is surely because your cue moves on your chest. In my case, I noticed that my grip was a bit too tight and I was moving the butt slightly to the right during my backswing. So when delivering the cue, with power or not, I tend to unconsciously overcompensate that fact and the cue butt crosses the line of main to the left......
                As soon as I loosened up my grip and focussed on keeping the cue strait under the chest, I was doing a much better and consistent job at potting.

Good luck with your practice, as Barry Stark would famously say
                Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Working...
                X