This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    You're sighting it wrong obviously. If you pot it with running side but miss it plain ball to the far jaw then the side is pushing in and you're hitting it thicker to pot it.

Try placing a ball next to the black, as if lining up an unmissable plant. Stand behind the cue ball and that's your plain ball potting angle. You clearly see it as thinner than it actually is.
    Thanks. Why do you suppose that is? I'm confident that 95+% of the time I miss a (reasonably makeable) pot, it's because I didn't stroke it properly, not because of bad aim. The exception that proves the rule is when I am shooting from the yellow side of the table. For some reason, I have issues with the green into its pocket and the black into the pocket on the green side. I miss far less on the other side. Barry Stark cautioned about developing a preference for one side of the table, but now that I have identified one, I'm having a devil of a time correcting it, even when focusing on it in practice. I can make one or 2 but then as soon as I relax and try to play with some fluidity I make the same mistake again.

Comment

• I'll cure your problem with cutting the black in too thin in 2 hours if you wanna put the work in do this.

Go down the club put the black on the spot, line up five reds like a line up high on the black but instead of potting these reds put the white in line with them about 1ft away so you have position to pot the black, start the reds line up at the first high angle your having problems cutting in and now put the white in line with that red, plain ball stun top or screw no side i want you to pot it 25 times. Get 25 pots then move up the line to the next red, get another 25 pots and so on.

This will cure your problem on any potting angle trust me i do this all the time, the reason I choose 25 pots is that is the lowest number of balls you need to sink to make a century break.

Work on this on both sides of the table i guarantee within 1-2 sessions of solo play you'll be 100% better with this shot let me know how you get on.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
        As I'm a pretty bad player there are many shots I've trouble with.
        But the most difficult shots for me are when the cueball is close to a cushion. Nearly always miss them.
        I'm no expert like some on here, but I have always been much better than average at playing with the rest and playing off the cushion. When playing from off the cushion, there are some small adjustments to be made. The first, grip the cue a little further up, i.e. choke up about an extra 2 inches. Second, although it may not be strictly necessary or ideal, I lift the butt of the cue a very small amount above the horizontal. And third, I take a little extra time to make sure I'm striking center ball and following through correctly. If anyone has anything to add to or criticize about the above, I welcome the additional input.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
          I'll cure your problem with cutting the black in too thin in 2 hours if you wanna put the work in do this.

Go down the club put the black on the spot, line up five reds like a line up high on the black but instead of potting these reds put the white in line with them about 1ft away so you have position to pot the black, start the reds line up at the first high angle your having problems cutting in and now put the white in line with that red, plain ball stun top or screw no side i want you to pot it 25 times. Get 25 pots then move up the line to the next red, get another 25 pots and so on.

This will cure your problem on any potting angle trust me i do this all the time, the reason I choose 25 pots is that is the lowest number of balls you need to sink to make a century break.

Work on this on both sides of the table i guarantee within 1-2 sessions of solo play you'll be 100% better with this shot let me know how you get on.
          This sounds great. I'll try to give it a go at my next practice session.

Comment

• Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
            How about shots where you have to cue from under the cushion - never been comfortable with these.
            HI Dantuck. Cushion shots are quite easy for me. I tilt my grip handle forward which applies downward pressure onto the cue. Allowing you to still cue the ball with the cue virtually parallel to the table. It locks the cue into position with ease. Give that a try!
            Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
            https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rebound59 View Post
              When playing from off the cushion, there are some small adjustments to be made. The first, grip the cue a little further up, i.e. choke up about an extra 2 inches. Second, although it may not be strictly necessary or ideal, I lift the butt of the cue a very small amount above the horizontal. And third, I take a little extra time to make sure I'm striking center ball and following through correctly.
              Yeah, that are three adjustments I also made, but I still miss them. Hopefully I get better with more practice.
              Thanks for the input.

Comment

This sounds great. I'll try to give it a go at my next practice session.
                Let me know how you get on, I bet it improves your game tremendously.
                Use this method with anything you are struggling with, practice your weaknesses until they become your strengths.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                  Yeah, that are three adjustments I also made, but I still miss them. Hopefully I get better with more practice.
                  Thanks for the input.
                  Practice 25 pots from off the cushion with a low 3/4 ball black do it from both sides one of the toughest cueing shots on the table.
                  Get 25 balls in the bag before you move on, your potting will improve within this single session I guarantee that because it will force you to cue the ball precisely hitting only the top of the white the margin for error is so small because the throw of side is amplified at the outside edges of the cue ball that is why when you want extreme side you dig it at very bottom outside edge of the white same principle on the top of the white so cueing has to be bang on if you want centre ball.

For all the side numpties who say you can't hit the middle of the white either then I'll bet them any amount of money i can get more than 10 out of 25 attempts I'll video it for the side spinners aswell if need be to prove that centre ball actually does exist lol

Comment

• Where is center ball ?
                    With the amount of deformation that happens, how far off center do you need to be to impart spin?
                    https://youtu.be/DceJZs2AJgQ

Comment

• You could find centre ball with one of these

Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Driverless vehicles and robot sport is the future

Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                          Driverless vehicles and robot sport is the future

That robot has too much body movement on the shot, needs some coaching.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
                            Let me know how you get on, I bet it improves your game tremendously.
                            Use this method with anything you are struggling with, practice your weaknesses until they become your strengths.
                            Well, it seems I have a stamina problem, no doubt due to age. I was tired way before I finished the exercise and I had trouble make 10 in a row let alone 25. Seems like I need to work on my overall fitness mainly.

But it was very discouraging that I had such trouble duplicating even simple shots 10 times out of 10. I might need a new cue, mind. My antique cue has had the ferrule replaced and now it's a full 11mm. I'm sure that's not the only problem, but it seems to be a problem.
                            Last edited by Rebound59; 22 December 2017, 02:56 AM.

Comment

But it was very discouraging that I had such trouble duplicating even simple shots 10 times out of 10. I might need a new cue, mind. My antique cue has had the ferrule replaced and now it's a full 11mm. I'm sure that's not the only problem, but it seems to be a problem.
                              It's easier to find and strike the centre of the cue ball with a bigger tip.

Comment

Well, it seems I have a stamina problem, no doubt due to age. I was tired way before I finished the exercise and I had trouble make 10 in a row let alone 25. Seems like I need to work on my overall fitness mainly.

I think the idea was to take 25 attempts and see how many you pot, then you can try to beat your score next time. If you struggle with a shot you're never going to pot it 25 times in a row, if you do that you don't struggle with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X