Natural Potting Angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Potting Angles

Does anyone have a practice routine that gives the natural 1/4 1/2 3/4 angles?

Can this be done by placing the cue ball and object balls on the spots available?

Don't want to do it by sight as I may not get them right!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

No. I've never even thought about those angles in my life.

I think more along the lines of: "oh, this is a thin one".
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Iv'e never understood this 1/4 ball shot thing (must admit not tried too hard tho) as surely it NEVER happens during a game ?
      The cue ball will never be in the exact position you practice the shots so whats the point ???

Comment

From Joe Davis' book:

Pink on the Pyramid spot and white about 3-4 inches to the right of the yellow spot gives a half ball into the top left hand pocket

But easiest way is to do what is recommended in Steve Davis book (Successful Snooker):

If still unsure then setup a plant to make it obvious about the contact point - although strictly speaking, it is now proven that the plant is not 100% reliable - see Nick Barrow's video

Last edited by tmax; 13 January 2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Just remembered there used to be a good trick for the natural half ball, it was on the englishbilliards.org website - but their site is down at present

It used to be in their beginners section - first exercise

I think it was something like this:

Cue-ball on the yellow spot - object ball just forward of the brown spot, so that the very edge of the ball is just on the bulk-line (when viewed from above)

This gives you a half-ball in-off (losing hazard) into the green pocket

BUT the cue-ball needs to be struck very purely - meaning end-over-end roll, no skidding which produces a stun effect widening the natural half ball angle - for practical purposes this feels much more like a prod rather than a strike on the white

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
            No. I've never even thought about those angles in my life.
            Neither had I until someone brought it up the other day which made me think about it whether it had a use or not.

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Iv'e never understood this 1/4 ball shot thing (must admit not tried too hard tho) as surely it NEVER happens during a game ?
            The cue ball will never be in the exact position you practice the shots so whats the point ???
            It was mentioned that if you had a half past 10 angle that you just hit the object ball 1/2 ball. If the angle was slightly off of this then you just adjust a little to suit.

I must admit it came to mind yesterday and I gave it a go and forgot about the pocket and it seemed to crop up a fair bit hence I wondered about the other angles?

It rings a bell from years ago that if you practiced it a lot then in pressure situations they crop up more than you think and can help if practiced.

Just thought I'd bring it up to see!

Comment

Nic Barrow's aimframe is all about these potting angles, you could buy one of them and just make a little chalk mark (which is how you're supposed to use it) I would send you the one he gave me but I don't know where it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                Nic Barrow's aimframe is all about these potting angles, you could buy one of them and just make a little chalk mark (which is how you're supposed to use it) I would send you the one he gave me but I don't know where it is.
                Did you think it helped you in any way?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  I bought one, tried to use it, but tbh the setup has to be so exact that I found it of little value

But constantly practicing the ring around black, pink and blue as in Davis' book is of great value

Not so you think thick half ball or anything like that - just so you know where the white is going - so when it appears in a game you definitely know, you are no longer hoping

For example that 1/2 ball cut back on the black, hit low with right hand side, will hit the right hand side cushion at the baulk line and come out between the yellow and brown - either for position on yellow or back up the table for another red

Comment

I didn't really use it much, but I'd agree with tmax. The ring of reds will do you just as much good IMO, angles and distances are always going to be slightly different in a match anyway.

Comment

angles and distances are always going to be slightly different in a match anyway.
                      I think that was the point really.

If for arguments say you are on the 10:30 line and hit plain ball then it shouldn't matter how far away, a little like billiards and in offs and half ball angles.

Comment

Originally Posted by tmax View Post

I will certainly give this exercise a go.

Comment

I think that was the point really.

If for arguments say you are on the 10:30 line and hit plain ball then it shouldn't matter how far away, a little like billiards and in offs and half ball angles.
                          What's the 10:30 line?

Comment

What's the 10:30 line?
                            The half ball line, same as a clockface at 10:30.

In other words if the angle between cueball, object ball and pocket looks like 10:30 then it should be half ball as a guide.

Comment

Natural Potting Angles

Wouldn't 10.30 (45 degree angle) be nearer quarter ball? Half ball is nearer 30 degrees (one hand on 6 one hand on 11)?

Comment

Working...
                              X