Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you pause on the shot before delivery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you pause on the shot before delivery?

I noticed when watching the Mark Selby/McManus match in Shanghai Masters that Selby pauses for 2 seconds on backswing before delivering the cue on line.

McManus pauses around 3 seconds.

Yuelong has roughly a 1/2 second pause.

It's interesting.

I'm interested to know is it better to pause longer or deliver after 1 second...?

What's your pause time before delivery?
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

When your eyes focus on the object ball after the back swing let the cue go ...has you get a bit older it takes longer I feel to focus.....it works for me :snooker:

Comment

I think this is over-thinking things. Mark Alan has a really short rear pause and some people say none at all. Whatever feels natural to you and also as has been said when you feel you are locked onto the object ball.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I haven't looked, but there is no way McManus pauses for 3 seconds. Maybe 1.5 seconds or something, but 3 seconds would be ridiculous.

As Terry says, don't worry about it. Find your own natural timing. Practice.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          I haven't looked, but there is no way McManus pauses for 3 seconds. Maybe 1.5 seconds or something, but 3 seconds would be ridiculous.

As Terry says, don't worry about it. Find your own natural timing. Practice.
          I counted it and it came to 3 seconds.

Thats the time I got. He certainly paused longer than Selby though...
          Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

i think the final back pause would be in sync with when the eyes leave the cue ball/cue to focus on the ob. so if you switch your eyes to the od on the final front pause your not gonna have much if any back pause, like with mark alan. and as we can see his eyes and cue move quicker than other players, and that assists him with a short compact action.
            then if you switch during the back swing like most seem to do then there would be some kind of natural pause before the cue is delivered.
            but some may choose to watch the cue come all the way back to the bridge hand, so the pause/stop should be quite prolonged as the eyes will be switching closer towards back pause and would need time to focus on the shot/ob.
            Last edited by j6uk; 16 November 2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

no wonder people struggle to just play the game to a half decent level with this many questions to think about.
              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I was going to type that yesterday, Tom.

Keep saying all players should just play with whatever feels natural. That why the Pros all having different styles. You never try and copy a player you look up to and respect. You must find your own style.
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

all pretty standard, though very important stuff on this thread so far, but i agree it can be overwhelming for players who might be taking apart their game or just starting out and taking on many others overlooked thoughts.

Comment

wouldnt worry about copying or taking bits off other players, as learning via osmosis is well accepted and done by most who are trying to get good at anything.

Comment

Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
                      I noticed when watching the Mark Selby/McManus match in Shanghai Masters that Selby pauses for 2 seconds on backswing before delivering the cue on line.

McManus pauses around 3 seconds.

Yuelong has roughly a 1/2 second pause.

It's interesting.

I'm interested to know is it better to pause longer or deliver after 1 second...?

What's your pause time before delivery?
                      I do pause on backswing before delivering the cue and this , in order to start slow with delivery .
                      Start slow with delivery and building up speed is realy important.
                      Never tried it, but I think without a pause on backswing gonna be very difficult to start slow with delivery. This can mess up your timing.
                      How long exactly (1 or 1.3 seconds)? never gave it thought, tbh.

This has usually to do with when your eyes leave the CB OR the Cue to focus on the OB .
                      something J6 mentioned in (post #6) and explained very well, imo.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                        I was going to type that yesterday, Tom.

Keep saying all players should just play with whatever feels natural. That why the Pros all having different styles. You never try and copy a player you look up to and respect. You must find your own style.
                        You see guys on here struggling to make 50's worrying about things century break players have never given thought.
                        Just play the game, practice and don't overcomplicate it

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                          You see guys on here struggling to make 50's worrying about things century break players have never given thought.
                          Just play the game, practice and don't overcomplicate it
                          is this one of those stuff you learned from your dady or something you made up all by your own?
                          centuries break players have learned in the first place and did practice until what they have learned gained as their second nature.
                          *Michael Schumacher had to learn how to drive. he was'nt a F1 driver from the first day he got into a car.
                          So did S Hendry , in de game of snooker .

Do'nt overthinking it , does'nt mean " not learning "

Carry on !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            is this one of those stuff you learned from your dady or something you made up all by your own?
                            centuries break players have learned in the first place and did practice until what they have learned gained as their second nature.
                            *Michael Schumacher had to learn how to drive. he was'nt a F1 driver from the first day he got into a car.
                            So did S Hendry , in de game of snooker .

Do'nt overthinking it , does'nt mean " not learning "

Carry on !!
                            Ramon, you contribute absolutely nothing to this forum apart from attempting to antagonise people.
                            If you get off hour high horse and understand the point i'm making I can't see how you couldn't agree.

There are tons of people on here worrying about things that are far beyond them. They should learn basic fundamentals
                            before worrying about side, which eyes they sight with etc.

I doubt Schumacher got in the car and asked everybody how to do handbrake turns before learning how to pull off.
                            I bet Hendry didn't start playing deep screws before learning how to play a stun shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                              Ramon, you contribute absolutely nothing to this forum apart from attempting to antagonise people.
                              If you get off hour high horse and understand the point i'm making I can't see how you couldn't agree.

There are tons of people on here worrying about things that are far beyond them. They should learn basic fundamentals
                              before worrying about side, which eyes they sight with etc.

I doubt Schumacher got in the car and asked everybody how to do handbrake turns before learning how to pull off.
                              I bet Hendry didn't start playing deep screws before learning how to play a stun shot.
                              Paus on backswing IS ONE OF THE basic fundamentals.
                              *how long ? I never gave it a thought. (as i said in my previous post).
                              The guy asking something , try to explain it to him .

And we are not talking about side here , do we ??
                              But since you brought it up ,
                              You can try learn people to do center ball striking but
                              *unfortunately what you do not understand is what Chris Henry said a couple of years ago :* (( 95 percent of players who believe doing Center ball striking are wrong. they do'nt and they are not aware of it )) . C Henry said that and i agree with him.
                              no one said that you should play with side all the time. but i bet if you ask pros 9/10 would tell you the best is striking the ball in it's sweet spot and find the adjusment .
                              Which is not exactly center point of the CB . . that* few mm left or right to the center is in order to compensate your cueing error.
                              And* everyone has it . No player on earth can cue 100 procent stright all the time and in a consistent way.

*learn something and then try not overthinking it. trust your own nature and do what you have learned with a clear mind.
                              So , you made a good point, just not complete.
                              next time use your knowledge and do it* right.
                              Last edited by Ramon; 17 November 2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X