Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocking in this day and age still...What you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
    Ng On Yee (current World Champion) admittedly from Hong Kong not China. World
    There are many HK ladies in the ladies ranking list, not a single one from mainland
    Last edited by DeanH; 14 September 2017, 07:28 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Where does Ng On Yee rank in the pro circuit?
      王可

Comment

Shocking in this day and age still...What you think?

nowhere as she and Reanne currently do not have a pro tour ticket but sometimes participate either as invitation or as amateur.
        They are both on the Q school listing so they could gain a ticket through that listing.
        Last edited by DeanH; 14 September 2017, 07:21 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
          Cue Craft,

Putting 2 Stars in a social sporty area is a cracking idea. Problem is though is the amount of volume of space 2 tables take up, they would never wear that..

Youngsters can't be arsed to play on a ""big table"". Out of a 6 ft Pool table and a 12 ft Snooker table they would always choose the Pool table its just so much easier to sink a ball. Lets face it, Snooker is a true art and takes years to "actually"" play it properly to an enjoyable level..
          If I try to remember why I wanted to play I think in short... Alex Higgins made it cool! Who is the hero making it exciting to kids today? I know there are great talents who are a credit, but you've got to be a snooker fan already to appreciate them. Flamboyant characters attract people to sports they might ordinarily avoid. Jackson Page is awesome but needs to fulfill potential. China needs a big talented character, they are close, no cigar yet though.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

it's a bit of a catch 22: because of declining punters clubs haven't reinvested in improving their facilities, and youngsters aren't attracted to venues which are stuck in the 80s. The first step has to be taken by clubs to make their premises and the whole experience of visiting more appealing.

OK, lots of generalisations here, but here goes...

- social clubs, con clubs, CIU clubs etc are, in the main run by committees of elderly gentlemen, who remember snooker (or more probably billiards) in the 60s and 70s and want to keep it there
            - commercial clubs which opened in the 70s and 80s haven't had any money reinvested in them to bring them into the 21st Century
            - commercial clubs employ labour at minimum wage who have no interest in or enthusiasm for snooker, and, therefore, don't engender any kind of enthusiasm or passion in the punters
            - club owners want an easy life and can't be bothered to actively do anything in starting new initiatives to bring in new customers (like run junior clubs, stage exhibition nights, or even run in-house competitions)

The Allstars chain now own four ex-snooker club venues in the west of England, some of which I remember from days of old. They have invested vast sums to totally transform these venues to something which is totally unrecognisable. OK, they're mostly pool oriented, with just a handful of snooker tables, but it shows what can be done. The venues are packed for most of the day. They no longer have the dark, seedy image, and now attract a lot of youngsters.

I visited a club in the home counties some weeks back, and the owner, around 70-ish I guess, said he really didn't want kids there running around the place. What hope is there for developing players to become tomorrow's stars when clubs have that kind of attitude?
            Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
              it's a bit of a catch 22: because of declining punters clubs haven't reinvested in improving their facilities, and youngsters aren't attracted to venues which are stuck in the 80s. The first step has to be taken by clubs to make their premises and the whole experience of visiting more appealing.

OK, lots of generalisations here, but here goes...

- social clubs, con clubs, CIU clubs etc are, in the main run by committees of elderly gentlemen, who remember snooker (or more probably billiards) in the 60s and 70s and want to keep it there
              - commercial clubs which opened in the 70s and 80s haven't had any money reinvested in them to bring them into the 21st Century
              - commercial clubs employ labour at minimum wage who have no interest in or enthusiasm for snooker, and, therefore, don't engender any kind of enthusiasm or passion in the punters
              - club owners want an easy life and can't be bothered to actively do anything in starting new initiatives to bring in new customers (like run junior clubs, stage exhibition nights, or even run in-house competitions)

The Allstars chain now own four ex-snooker club venues in the west of England, some of which I remember from days of old. They have invested vast sums to totally transform these venues to something which is totally unrecognisable. OK, they're mostly pool oriented, with just a handful of snooker tables, but it shows what can be done. The venues are packed for most of the day. They no longer have the dark, seedy image, and now attract a lot of youngsters.

I visited a club in the home counties some weeks back, and the owner, around 70-ish I guess, said he really didn't want kids there running around the place. What hope is there for developing players to become tomorrow's stars when clubs have that kind of attitude?
              Short answer = none.

My best analogy I have would be a lad I knew whose father passed away, friend of mine, liked golf. To try and help his grief I took him over the range regularly. As a young teenage lad he was very image conscious, I had half decent clubs, Mizuno irons and Callaway driver. He totally loved the Callaway even though he struck the ball best with my cheap progen 5 wood ( quality club with no prestige!)

For kids image and prestige is a big draw. If it's hard to get...they desire it more! Making snooker cheap and accessible is maybe not the answer. Make expensive and glamorous, they will want it more. Somehow if sports venues or resorts manage this it might be the answer. I noticed recently that a newish Center Parcs at Woburn had two pretty decent snooker tables alongside several pub pool tables and a few 9 ball tables, but zero competition or training available. Sadly the snooker tables become last resort when the pool tables are all taken. More could easily be done here to promote both.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Unfortunately, many of the private members clubs I have experience of are run by committees of old men who pretend they can play snooker but can't. They would choke on their Shiraz or pint (depending on the location) at the thought of women, juniors, foreign extract players, ethnic minorities or even quality players joining and therefore 'taking over' their club. Quite simply, their bigoted selfishness is killing the sport at grass roots level and I find it both frustrating and appalling.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that. Makes me realise how lucky I am.
                  王可

Comment

Must admit IMHO (and I am an official of 3 Leagues in our area) that I have not seen any discrimination against anybody regardless of sex or race.
                    Lets face it all Leagues are so desperate for new blood, why would they turn new players away ?

Comment

When I was in China, and I was playing there for 10 years, there was absolutely no discrimination. Yet the women were still miles behind the men.
                      王可

Comment

Working...
                      X