Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I stand, modern vs classic approach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    This is a brilliant idea! I use a mirror with my students but not in this way. In fact I might get down there tonight and try it on myself just to confirm or deny I'm setting up straight. I've never heard of this before.
    come on tel you played at pontins! the table in the chalets was just the right height and the mirror above was spot on! little 10mm holes in the plaster lol every chalet

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
      come on tel you played at pontins! the table in the chalets was just the right height and the mirror above was spot on! little 10mm holes in the plaster lol every chalet
      I don't remember that at all but of course I was younger then and thought I knew everything anyway. Now that I'm older I am certain I know more, just not everything.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
        I thought that the purpose was to find the right place\point between the eyes. The stance etc can be separate?
        There are many who believe it's more important to align the cue with the dominant eye but this is a raging argument in the snooker coaching community. I'm one of 'those' who believe the compact set-up gained from using the opposite eye is more important than which eye is used for sighting. With practice the brain will adapt to whatever alignment you like but nothing will adapt you to a poorer set-up. In addition there must be a reason the majority of pros and good players use opposite eye.

Later in life those using opposite eye will also have less neck and spine problems because they have used a very comfortable set-up through the years.
        Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
          It was great walking to your match down along The balkony players prep ing on tv table, or matchboxes out

Comment

There are many who believe it's more important to align the cue with the dominant eye but this is a raging argument in the snooker coaching community. I'm one of 'those' who believe the compact set-up gained from using the opposite eye is more important than which eye is used for sighting. With practice the brain will adapt to whatever alignment you like but nothing will adapt you to a poorer set-up. In addition there must be a reason the majority of pros and good players use opposite eye.

Later in life those using opposite eye will also have less neck and spine problems because they have used a very comfortable set-up through the years.
            I have had some back injuries over the years, and I have found when trying to get my cue under my right eye(shooting right handed), there is much more contortion of the body, especially neck/back, and I am more uncomfortable after playing than stand more natural which puts my left eye more over the shot.

Comment

There are many who believe it's more important to align the cue with the dominant eye but this is a raging argument in the snooker coaching community.
              Is there anywhere I can read up on both sides?

I'm one of 'those' who believe the compact set-up gained from using the opposite eye is more important than which eye is used for sighting. With practice the brain will adapt to whatever alignment you like but nothing will adapt you to a poorer set-up. In addition there must be a reason the majority of pros and good players use opposite eye.
              Makes sense, and indeed to the Pro's as it had me confused..

That might explain: my bad lower back, strained right hamstring, occasional bad left

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                Is there anywhere I can read up on both sides?

Makes sense, and indeed to the Pro's as it had me confused..

That might explain: my bad lower back, strained right hamstring, occasional bad left
                You'll have to find published coaches for both sides of the argument. Nic Barrow is a believer in centre-chin alignment and doesn't believe dominant eye theory and explains why on his coaching videos on youtube and his website. I can't recall a coach who preaches dominant eye theory and changing the set-up to cater for it.

The first and foremost consideration for the snooker set-up is COMFORT. Do that closed-eye routine from Nic and get comfortable with your set-up first and then open the eyes and see how you're aligned and that will be the one for you. Hopefully it will be straight in the mirror.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                X