Mark Allen Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Allen Technique

What do people think about Mark's technique?

Observations in general is he has no rear pause but seem's to counter this with a highly effective short backswing in the balls and a real nice positive strike. He's a really good fluent player when he's on but seems to struggle more when he's not is this mainly down to his natural learned technique?

I know he was coached by Griffiths suprised Terry didn't attempt to use the 105% technique with him.

Not pretty but it works, it bemuses me how he's left handed, sights with his left eye but for some reason has to jut out his jaw to get the cue under that eye. You would think it would fall there naturally.

Comment

I don't understand how he's able to play so smooth and relaxed with such a short backswing. By rights he should be twitchy and limited, but on the contrary...he doesn't appear to have any limits at all.
      For me, one of the most unorthodox players out there. Simply incredible.

Comment

Uses a backswing short enough for the power needed, very short for soft shots, longer for power shots, like Hendry says very little chance of deceleration and ideal for the super fast conditions the pros play under.
        His grip is very light, cue just resting in the top of the fingers and uses the snap shut of the hand to generate useful power. Follow through is relevant to the power used, reminiscent of Alex Higgins apart from the grip.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
          I don't understand how he's able to play so smooth and relaxed with such a short backswing. By rights he should be twitchy and limited, but on the contrary...he doesn't appear to have any limits at all.
          For me, one of the most unorthodox players out there. Simply incredible.
          Because many of elements of technique that are purported to be important are not, break it down to it's mechanical core and the snooker stroke is simple.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
            Because many of elements of technique that are purported to be important are not, break it down to it's mechanical core and the snooker stroke is simple.
            100% provided you deliver the cue in the right place with the right power on the right line...really doesn't matter how you get there. I think Allens loose grip is the main reason he doesn't twitch as much as you would expect under pressure. Thats grip takes alot of the tension away.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
              100% provided you deliver the cue in the right place with the right power on the right line...really doesn't matter how you get there. I think Allens loose grip is the main reason he doesn't twitch as much as you would expect under pressure. Thats grip takes alot of the tension away.
              It's mainly because the backswing is the correct length for the power of the shot so the cue only has to accelerate over short distance.
              If you use the longer more traditional backswing and try to play a little touch screw shot this is when the decel can rob you of the pot because your moving over a longer distance with the cue and trying to reduce the amount of impact that would have force plus mass as the cue gathers more momentum over distance you subconsciously try to correct that by slowing the cue down as it goes through.

With the mark allen technique you simply don't have the time to have that problem, by the time you start the acceleration the stroke is finished in the correct distance for the delivery of the appropriate power so your brain just releases the cue obviously a loose grip is important tho no matter which method of delivery you choose.

Comment

#gurner #aesthetic
                Originally Posted by narl View Post
                Not pretty but it works, it bemuses me how he's left handed, sights with his left eye but for some reason has to jut out his jaw to get the cue under that eye. You would think it would fall there naturally.
                Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

Exactly Grip and muscle tension are the most important elements of doing exactly that.

Comment

Obviously his grip stays loose during impact. Anyone can have loose grip during pause(s) and feathering. I'd probably squeeze the life out of the cue just prior to impact with the cue ball if I tried to play with backswing that short.
                    Not saying that one should have backswing length like Luca Brecel, but at least in my case I need *some* reasonable length, otherwise I'm too tense.
                    I guess each player is different and he needs to find something that works exclusively for him. Copying somebody else, no matter how good, may not be a good idea.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                      Obviously his grip stays loose during impact. Anyone can have loose grip during pause(s) and feathering. I'd probably squeeze the life out of the cue just prior to impact with the cue ball if I tried to play with backswing that short.
                      Not saying that one should have backswing length like Luca Brecel, but at least in my case I need *some* reasonable length, otherwise I'm too tense.
                      I guess each player is different and he needs to find something that works exclusively for him. Copying somebody else, no matter how good, may not be a good idea.
                      The point to keep in mind is that he does vary the length of his backswing depending on the shot. He may be using a short back swing on most shots, but the moment he needs a bit of power he does take a full stroke, particular when going into the reds with power. But the other thing is, if you hit the ball positively you don't actually need a long back swing for most shots. So a mixture of varying the length of his cue action and a very loose grip keeps him from being twitchy.

Comment

Working...
                      X