No announcement yet.

2018 Romanian Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That evans/melief match was woeful, seen better from b teams on league night.

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
      It could be the same thing for both of them, albeit on a different scale: You knuckle down, reap the rewards with some success, begin to take things for granted and trip up over your own complacency. Or, it could be Toam chalk.

-
      I guess you mean Brecel and Trump and not Brecel and Selby? Was a bit confused first.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
        I guess you mean Brecel and Trump and not Brecel and Selby? Was a bit confused first.
        You were right first time Jim, I did indeed mean Brecel and Selby.

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
          You were right first time Jim, I did indeed mean Brecel and Selby.

-
          Well, it's just anybody's guess, but I don't think they have the same problem.
          For Selby I just think he is not as focused as he was before. He has been the world's best player for several years, won the world championship three times in the last four attempts. I just think he isn't as hungry anymore and lacks a bit of motivation.

As for Brecel I think he is just a careless player. He probably has more confidence than he should have, goes for shots he shouldn't try and also probably doesn't have the toughness and mentality it needs.

Comment

For Selby I just think he is not as focused as he was before. He has been the world's best player for several years, won the world championship three times in the last four attempts. I just think he isn't as hungry anymore and lacks a bit of motivation.

As for Brecel I think he is just a careless player. He probably has more confidence than he should have, goes for shots he shouldn't try and also probably doesn't have the toughness and mentality it needs.
            I think thats a bit harsh on Brecel. Confidence is a great trait for any top player to have and its probably the reason hes in the top 16 anyway. Wether its delusional or not its better than playing scared or unsure. That being said I agree that he is missing a few traits and its mainly down to lack of exp and maturity. Though talent wise he is up there with any top 16 player no doubt. Hes deff improved in the last 2 seasons.
            Last edited by OmaMiesta; 17 March 2018, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Exactly, long term complacency. But I doubt he lacks the hunger.

Exactly, short term complacency, bolstered somewhat by his recent run of form..

-
              Last edited by PatBlock; 17 March 2018, 11:15 AM.
              The slow and labourious,

Comment

Brecel: I think his cue action and playing style (as well as general appearance) makes that look worse than it is, tbh. Hasn;t he had quite a bit of cue trouble this season, playing with a "broken" one as he didn't like the replacement?

Selby: he could well be trying too hard? To me, he seemed to be more attacking early in the season, but his safety and tactics have been (relatively typing poor) and lost leads to ROS's "numpties" in short matches.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                  Brecel: I think his cue action and playing style (as well as general appearance) makes that look worse than it is, tbh. Hasn;t he had quite a bit of cue trouble this season, playing with a "broken" one as he didn't like the replacement?

Selby: he could well be trying too hard? To me, he seemed to be more attacking early in the season, but his safety and tactics have been (relatively typing poor) and lost leads to ROS's "numpties" in short matches.
                  I don't know about Brecel's cue trouble, but you could be right about Selby, maybe he wants it too much. Of course, we'll probably never know, and I'd expect him
                  to regain his mojo sooner or later, but the psychology of this game is fascinating isn't it.

-
                  The slow and labourious,

Comment

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                    I think thats a bit harsh on Brecel. Confidence is a great trait for any top player to have and its probably the reason hes in the top 16 anyway. Wether its delusional or not its better than playing scared or unsure. That being said I agree that he is missing a few traits and its mainly down to lack of exp and maturity. Though talent wise he is up there with any top 16 player no doubt. Hes deff improved in the last 2 seasons.
                    Of course you need confidence, but by the right measure.
                    I agree has improved a lot, but as you say he has to mature. He has talent as you say, but talent will only bring you so far. Maybe in the past he also relied to much on his talent (I could do him very wrong here of course and his attitude could lead me in the wrong direction here) and has only recently found focus and grit. Of course his game and way of play can change as he is very young, but right now I wouldn't include him in the Top 12 players if I'd make a list.

Comment

Maybe.
                      I actually think he was playing as aggresively last year already, but just with more confidence. I think a bit difference is his long game, that was great during his succesful runs last season. And as you say his safety and tactical game often isn't at the same height we were used to.
                      Mainly it's a problem of the head I think though.

Comment

Could be, I can't remember last season that well (yes I'm old, lol) but certainly earlier this year he went for pots that nearly had my jaw dropping, smashing into the pack early etc - and didn't work nearly enough....

Sometimes trying too hard is more self-defeating than not trying enough?

re Brecel: I can't say my list has gone as far down as top 12, but he reminds of those silky footballers that used to get accused of not trying etc. Now, if Lisowski's safety and concentration keeps improving......

Comment

Could be, I can't remember last season that well (yes I'm old, lol) but certainly earlier this year he went for pots that nearly had my jaw dropping, smashing into the pack early etc - and didn't work nearly enough....

Sometimes trying too hard is more self-defeating than not trying enough?

re Brecel: I can't say my list has gone as far down as top 12, but he reminds of those silky footballers that used to get accused of not trying etc. Now, if Lisowski's safety and concentration keeps improving......
                          Yeah, Lisowski is a simliar case to Trump and Brecel indeed.

Comment

I like the fact that it's the final tomorrow, and most of this thread is about the form of 2 players that didn't do very well in this at all While Ryan Day seems to be making himself a half decent outsider bet for the World Championship.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              I like the fact that it's the final tomorrow, and most of this thread is about the form of 2 players that didn't do very well in this at all While Ryan Day seems to be making himself a half decent outsider bet for the World Championship.
                              At least they both played there
                              But yeah, I was also smiling about this fact. To be honest this tournament doesn't interest me that much. It may be a bit of an indicator of the players form, but I think moreso will be next weeks Players Championship.

Comment

It's a bit of a nothing tournament, yes. The field was pretty strong though and if it wasn't best of 7's it would have been pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X