X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new snooker cue shaft thickness

Hi guys
    how thick a cue shaft should be?

i used to have a gold baracuda cue but the cue was damaged, however i bought a new cue, around same weight 17.6 oz, 56.5 lenght, and 9.6 mm tip, however the shaft is much thicker, been playing for 2 weeks now, but it still feels so uncomfortable specially the shaft thickness.

i cannot play deep screws as good as i used to play with my old cue, and when i play top, it feels that the tip slips off, changed the tip many times, thought it might be the tip. but its the shaft thickness, i somehow cannot create that cue power that i used to with the other cue.

should i stick with it or just sell this cue? how important is the shaft thickness, is it just me or a thick shaft can cause problem for everyone?

its australia made, cue creator company and its hand made, bought around 650$ aus.
    old cue gold baracuda, price was $450 aus (however this was machine made)

thank you

Do you mean the taper?

I'm quite fussy about thickness. Don't like it too thick or cue feels like a broomstick.

Comment

Just to add I think all cue makers have their own ideas about what a nice taper is for a particular cue or piece of wood. Too thin and the cue might end up a bit whippy.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
        Do you mean the taper?

I'm quite fussy about thickness. Don't like it too thick or cue feels like a broomstick.
        yeah i feel like mine is too thick

Comment

whats the most common size people or pros use?
          mine is 9.6 the new cue and it feels so thick, dont know the old ones size but it was abit thinner
          btw when i buy 10 tip, it just fits and i barely have to cut it, tip and shaft size are the same?

Comment

some years ago a friend who I played UK pool with had a Peradon cue that he described exactly like you do - feels thick on the bridge.
            I sent the cue to Andy Travis for a slight reduction on the shaft and it came back - perfect as my friend said
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker beast View Post
              whats the most common size people or pros use?
              mine is 9.6 the new cue and it feels so thick, dont know the old ones size but it was abit thinner
              btw when i buy 10 tip, it just fits and i barely have to cut it, tip and shaft size are the same?
              Sounds like you might not have much of a taper at all. Only way to check is to get hold of digital calipers and take a measure.
              Tip size varies from person to person but 9.6/9.7 is normal. Perfect for me.
              Last edited by Nifty50; 6 February 2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you might not have much of a taper at all. Only way to check is to get hold of digital calipers and take a measure.
                Tip size varies from person to person but 9.6/9.7 is normal. Perfect for me.
                here is the details of my new cue
                maccassar ebony cc-246
                56.6/9.68
                17.3 balance
                29.22 butt

i bought 10 mm tip and i barely cut it, how could it be 9.68 and still the 10mm tip fits ? or the taper and tip size are different things in size?

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker beast View Post
                  here is the details of my new cue
                  maccassar ebony cc-246
                  56.6/9.68
                  17.3 balance
                  29.22 butt
                  i bought 10 mm tip and i barely cut it, how could it be 9.68 and still the 10mm tip fits ? or the taper and tip size are different things in size?
                  If you fit a 10mm tip to a 9.68 ferrule there will only be a tiny bit which needs trimmed. 0.3 of a mill! Not sure what your query is.
                  Last edited by Nifty50; 10 February 2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Yes, 0.3mm is like 3 sheets of paper

Comment

This why I don't make cues to order.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

If you fit a 10mm tip to a 9.68 ferrule there will only be a tiny bit which needs trimmed. 0.3 of a mill! Not sure what your query is.
                        if you put the tip dead center on the ferrule you will have exactly 0.16 mm on the side and not 0.32 mm i dont think you can trim that.

Comment

Originally Posted by kayen147 View Post
                          if you put the tip dead center on the ferrule you will have exactly 0.16 mm on the side and not 0.32 mm i dont think you can trim that.
                          Ha ha my maths! Thanks.

Comment

Yes, probably worth getting an 11mm tip so you have a bit more room for error.

Comment

Working...
                            X