Cowdroy takes Gold in Waterlooville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowdroy takes Gold in Waterlooville

ENGLAND snooker international Bradley Cowdroy clocked up 500 miles over two days but returned home to Bournemouth more than satisfied with his achievements.

The 16-year-old won his first match on the national junior circuit in Derby.

And he collected the winner’s trophy and £70 prize money in the second leg of the Cuestars Under-21 Gold Tour at Waterlooville Sports Bar.

“It’s been a busy weekend,” he said. “It’s been a lot of travelling but I’ve really enjoyed it.”

The defending Cuestars rankings champion took over top spot after beating Connor Benzey (Eastleigh) 2-0 in the final of the event sponsored by Waterlooville-based website Snooker Crazy.

But he admitted he had to change his game after qualifying from the group stages for the knockout.

He said: “I had a tough first match against Steven (Hughes). He probably played the best he’s ever played against me.

“I wasn’t particularly worried (after that 2-1 defeat) because I knew I played well in that match and I played pretty well yesterday and I was confident going into today.

“I made quite a few good breaks in the rest of the group stages. It was a shame not to get a first competitive ton but it was nice to play well.

“Then against Oliver (Sykes) in the quarters and Jamie (Wilson) in the semis, it was more of a case of grinding it out and making it more tactical to try to get the advantage.

“The knockout was different to the groups but I have to be able to play both ways.”

Cowdroy recorded the day’s two highest breaks of 85 and 82 in his 2-1 group-stage victory over Londoner Ronnie Sullivan, last season’s Bronze rankings champion.

Elliott Weston (Portsmouth) won his group and overcame Evan Plummer (London) 2-1 to reach the semi-finals for the first time.

He was finally knocked out 2-0 by Benzey, who had edged Steven Hughes (Chandler’s Ford) 2-1 on the final black in the previous round.

Home player Jamie Wilson was undefeated in his group and beat Ryan Hughes (Chandler’s Ford) 2-0 in the quarter-finals before going down 2-0 to Cowdroy.

Cowdroy has a three-point lead over leg-one winner Sykes (Chandler’s Ford). Benzey is one point further back in third.

The previous day, Cowdroy beat Joe Fenton (Wakefield) 4-1, whom he had lost 4-3 to in the first leg, on The Regency Pro Tips Premier Junior Tour at Cueball Derby.

Talking about his first season on the national circuit, he added: “It’s a lot of fun. It’s a different level to anything I’ve experienced before. It’s a really good learning curve.

“To get my first match win yesterday was a good confidence booster going into today.”

The third leg of ten is at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon, on Sunday, November 4.

Visit www.snookercrazy.com for a wide range of cue, cases and accessories.

BREAKS

Bradley Cowdroy: 85, 82, 62, 51.
    Jamie Wilson: 71.
    Connor Benzey: 70, 67, 59.
    Ronnie Sullivan: 55.
    Evan Plummer: 43.
    Steven Hughes: 43.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Elliott Weston (Top Spot, Havant); 2nd, Oliver Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Arron Smith (Selsey RBL); 4th, Callum McDonald (Salisbury SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Jamie Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Connor Benzey (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Evan Plummer (Frames, Coulsdon); 4th, Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Riccardo Drayton (Chandlers Ford SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 2nd, Steven Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Ronnie Sullivan (Frames, Coulsdon); 5th, Olly Gibbs (Fareham SC).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Weston 2-1 Plummer, Benzey 2-1 S Hughes, Wilson 2-0 R Hughes, Cowdroy 2-1 Sykes.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Benzey 2-0 Weston, Cowdroy 2-0 Wilson.

FINAL (£70/£35, 25/18 points): Cowdroy 2-0 Benzey.

Ellis hopes Silver trophy is first of many

WILTSHIRE potter Riley Ellis said he wants “another one” after collecting his first winner’s trophy on the Cuestars Under-21 Silver Tour.

The 14-year-old from Clyffe Pypard edged Essex lad Louie Leighton 2-1 in the final of the second leg at Waterlooville Sports Bar.

Ellis took the opening frame but rankings leader Leighton, who won the first event in Salisbury last month, came back strongly to force a decider.

“I still thought I could do it,” Ellis insisted. “I’ve come back from worse before.

Demonstrating strength of character and self-belief, he left his opponent chasing snookers on the colours in the third.

Clutching his trophy, he said: “I need another one now, though.”

And the 2016/17 Bronze Tour rankings champion added: “I’ll like to thank the 147 Snooker Club (in Swindon) and Save On Tyres for all the support they’ve given me.”

Ellis, who lost three semi-finals last season and was runner-up once, qualified from the group stages as one of the two best third-placed players despite winning three of his four matches in the event sponsored by Waterlooville-based website Snooker Crazy.

He then beat home player Samuel Laxton 2-1 and Will Forster 2-0 to reach his second Silver final.

Forster (Gosport), who finished third in his group on his debut in Salisbury, won three of his four round-robin matches to qualify in first place and beat Richard Hillgrove (Southend) 2-0 in the last-eight.

Ben Crump, another Gosport lad, made his Silver debut and went out 2-1 to O’Shay Scott (Eastleigh) in the quarter-finals.

Two new high breaks were recorded on the day.

Mason Wilson (Basingstoke) knocked in a 33 against Callum White (Havant).

And Scott achieved his target of making a half-century before his tenth birthday. The Angry Wasp knocked in a 56 in a group-stage victory over Ellis.

The third leg of ten is at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon, on Sunday, November 4.

BREAKS

O’Shay Scott: 56.
    Riley Ellis: 36, 32.
    Mason Wilson: 33

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Louie Leighton (Basildon SC); 2nd, Richard Hillgrove (Basildon SC); 3rd, Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 4th, Zak Truscott (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Oliver Cooper (Frames, Coulsdon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Samuel Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Ben Crump (Stoke SC, Gosport); 3rd, Mason Wilson (Academy, Basingstoke); 4th, Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport); 2nd, O’Shay Scott (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Riley Ellis (147 SC, Swindon); 4th, Dean Russell (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Harry Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Leighton 2-0 M Wilson, Scott 2-1 Crump, Ellis 2-1 Laxton, Forster 2-0 Hillgrove.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Leighton 2-0 Scott, Ellis 2-0 Forster.

FINAL (25/18 points): Ellis 2-1 Leighton.

Back-to-back wins for Bronze leader Jenkins

TEN-year-old Owen Jenkins demonstrated maturity beyond his tender age to clinch back-to-back tournaments wins on the Cuestars Under-21 Bronze Tour.

Jenkins followed up last month’s success in Salisbury by claiming the winner’s trophy on home tables at Waterlooville Sports Bar.

The young talent from Havant fought back from 1-0 down to defeat Tunbridge Wells starlet Dylan Smith 2-1 in the final of the second leg.

“It was very hard,” admitted Jenkins. “And it was a very difficult day.”

Explaining how he battled back from losing the opening frame, he said: “I played more safety.”

Jenkins and Smith both progressed through their respective round-robin groups and two knockout rounds without dropping a frame.

Eight-year-old Harry Wyatt completed a remarkable weekend by knocking in the day’s highest break of 20 and reaching the semi-finals where he lost 2-0 to Jenkins.

On his debut in Salisbury last month, he failed to win a match.

The previous day, he beat his highest break with a 28 and then surpassed that with a 31 in the Under-13 League at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

Thomas Sharp (Portsmouth) lost 2-0 to Smith in the semi-finals for the second tournament running.

Katie Griffin (Swindon), Thomas McEvoy (Warminster), Will Kempson (Salisbury) and newcomer Daniel Walter (Portsmouth) all qualified for the knockout for the first time in the event sponsored by Waterlooville-based website Snooker Crazy.

BREAKS

Harry Wyatt: 20.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Owen Jenkins (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Will Kempson (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Freddie Turner (Salisbury SC); 4th, Nathan King (Salisbury SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Dylan Smith (Victoria SC, Tunbridge Wells); 2nd, Harry Wyatt (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC); 4th, Billy Reid (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Jaydon Elliott (147 SC, Swindon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Thomas Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Katie Griffin (Jesters, Swindon); 3rd, Daniel Walter (Mayfair SC, Gosport); 4th, Taylor Elliott (147 SC, Swindon); 5th, James Slade (Crucible, Newbury).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Jenkins 2-0 McEvoy, Wyatt 2-1 Griffin, Smith 2-0 Walter, Sharp 2-0 Kempson.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Smith 2-0 Sharp, Jenkins 2-0 Wyatt.

FINAL (25/18 points): Jenkins 2-1 Smith.

Riccardo wins Plate in Waterlooville

NEWLY promoted Gold player Riccardo Drayton won the Plate competition in the second leg of the Cuestars Under-21 Tours at Waterlooville Sports Bar.

The 12-year-old from Chandler’s Ford, one of the first two players to jump straight from Bronze to Gold, is still finding his feet in the upper tier.

Drayton, conceding a 14-point handicap start, defeated home player Zak Truscott in the final of the event sponsored by Waterlooville-based website Snooker Crazy.

The third legs of ten are at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon, on Sunday, November 4.

PLATE RESULTS (ONE-FRAME MATCHES)

PRELIMS: Jaydon Elliott (147 SC, Swindon) beat Dean Russell (Waterlooville Sports Bar), Riccardo Drayton (Chandlers Ford SC) beat Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC), Taylor Elliott (147 SC, Swindon) beat Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

QUARTER-FINALS: Billy Reid (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat J Elliott, Drayton beat Freddie Turner (Salisbury SC), Zak Truscott (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat T Elliott, Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat James Slade (Crucible, Newbury).

SEMI-FINALS: Drayton beat Reid, Truscott beat Callum White.

FINAL: Drayton beat Truscott.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X