How do you pick your angles!!! - bad memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pick your angles!!! - bad memory

Hi, i am really stuck in a bit of a rut , i am really having my problems picking the angles of the shots, somedays i can pot it, then the next day i cant. I seem to have a really bad inability to memorise angles, so i was wondering how do other people pick their angles (not from memory) and line themselves up with the shot?

I need to develop a solid routine because i have a inability to just know the angles of the top of my head

There are a couple of things you could try.

The first is good for easier pots where the object ball and pocket are both in your line of sight. Draw an imaginary line from the pocket going right through the centre of the object ball. Your potting angle is where the line comes out the other side of the object ball.

The second is to line up your shot as Matthew Stevens often does. Stand in a direct line with the object ball and pocket. The front of the object ball is your potting angle - keep an eye on this spot while you walk back to play your shot. This is a good way to get the angle for more difficult cutbacks.

Even with these techniques, I still have troubles hitting the right angles some days though, which is unfortunately just down to lack of practise! Also, any unwanted side spin will affect the potting angle.

Comment

picking the angles for the high % of shots is done by memory through hours of practice.

if youre sure its not your technique thats at fault (ie, cue delivery etc) and the reason for you missing pots is wrong point of contact angle then a good way to get back to basics is by using the cushion behind he object ball youre aiming at.

this is basically for balls in open play only, but is a good starting point

you can do this more easily on a 9 ball table with diamonds marking the "rails"

basically, on a snooker table, if your cueball is on the brown spot, and a red is on the pink spot, directly in line then to cut to either corner pocket is a 1/2 ball cut (with half of the cushion behind the ball your aiming at)

if you line the red up so that the cushion is 3/4 and 1/4 split then the pot to either pocket will be whatever makes that side add up to one....

this is better explained by diagram (if any are available on the net...anyone?)

but remember, this is only for balls in open play well away from cushions as cutting a ball 1 inch off of a cushion in the middle of it wont be a 1/2 ball cut

its a starter for getting back to basics and trusting that the angle youve worked out will work.

with that confidence, build on it to more difficult and unusuall shots

another tip is to not always use reds when practising shots, as different colours mixed in will see you focus on point of contact and not get too "confy" with the angles on reds only

best of luck

Comment

excellent post Semih, thank you for the explanation. another valuable information to learn.
        ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Try before you get down on the shot, stepping into the shot, lining your body up with the angle of the shot you are faced with. If you watch the top players, a lot of them step into the shot.
          You have to be 100% behind someone before you can stab them in the back.

Comment

Let me try to illustrate Semih's explanation. Look at the following diagram; the red which is on the pink spot with the white on the brown spot.

Looking at Line 1, the player is extending that line through the red till it comes out the other side. The cue-ball must aim to hit the red at the exact point where it is on Line 1. So, by visualising the cue-ball's path to this exact point, we have Line 2 which, extended to the end of the table, gives us the point on the cushion which we need to aim for (the outline ball in the diagram). So, by aiming the white down the table towards my outline white, it will give you the correct line.

I have also done two more examples, a blue and a pink, on the same table.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
              Let me try to illustrate Semih's explanation. Look at the following diagram; the red which is on the pink spot with the white on the brown spot.

Looking at Line 1, the player is extending that line through the red till it comes out the other side. The cue-ball must aim to hit the red at the exact point where it is on Line 1. So, by visualising the cue-ball's path to this exact point, we have Line 2 which, extended to the end of the table, gives us the point on the cushion which we need to aim for (the outline ball in the diagram). So, by aiming the white down the table towards my outline white, it will give you the correct line.

I have also done two more examples, a blue and a pink, on the same table.

http://www.uploadyour.info/uploads/i...ngles51357.bmp
              Cheers Statman

Comment

In fact this is a good idea:

Place a white and a red on the table, in a position where you want to practise the pot.

Now, take the yellow and place it behind and touching the red, so they are in a direct line to the pocket.

Now, place the black against the back cushion, in a direct extension of the line from cue-ball to the yellow. (The black is in the position of the outline white in my diagram.)

Now, remove the yellow from the table.

Now, play a shot with the wthie, aiming for the black. If your cueing is right, the red should go in. If the red does not pot, then you need to look at developing your ability to aim the cue accurately, rather than needing to look at your judgement of angles.

Comment

Thanks Statman, very interesting! Something practical to try at the table
                  ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

thanks for the help all of you - i will try to figure out my problem, the thing is i have been told by a few coaches there is nothing wrong with my cueing. So it must be how i ick the angles.

Comment

Potting angles

The best way to find out and angle of pot is
                      1. Before potting a ball you should find out that on what angle u r hitting the object ball whether 1/2,1,4 or 3/4.
                      2. Then u should tell ur mind that I am going to hit a 1/2,1/4 or3/4 as the case may be.
                      3. U shouldn't simply hit 1/2,1/4 or 3/4 ball but while hitting u should make sure that the object ball is going towards the required pocket.
                      If u follow these 3 steps u will never miss the ball.
                      lol, better potting

Comment

Had a lesson a couple of weeks ago about this its hard to let instinct go but i potted a few just on memory and it certainly makes the game less mentally tiring as your putting it in the hands of a tested system rather than mentally using your brain like a angle computer 4 each pot- even though you have done that to a degree by figuring out if it 1/4 1/2 ball so on I can imagine with lots of practise its great just hard to let go from instinct potting

Comment

It's just repetition just keep playing shots again and again and again and they'll become automatic. If you've potted the balls before then you've seen the angle and can do it again.
                          There's no need for these diagrams etc, just practice practice practice.
                          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                            It's just repetition just keep playing shots again and again and again and they'll become automatic. If you've potted the balls before then you've seen the angle and can do it again.
                            There's no need for these diagrams etc, just practice practice practice.
                            Yeah that's what my initial thought where and wasn't to impressed with it but apparently some pros have used it all there career so gonna give it a few hours practise see how it goes, just practising 1/4 1/2 3/4 ball pots. I will report back

Comment

Originally Posted by Welshbaizeboy View Post
                              Yeah that's what my initial thought where and wasn't to impressed with it but apparently some pros have used it all there career so gonna give it a few hours practise see how it goes, just practising 1/4 1/2 3/4 ball pots. I will report back
                              good man... I've played for years and not to a bad standard but I go through phases where I'll miss certain balls, I usually just play the same shot 50 times until I nail it. I had an issue with pinks to the right middle, just played the shot again and again in practice until it felt unmissable.
                              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X